Power Inverter Help! (1 Viewer)

Oct 27, 2013
Portglenone, Northern Ireland.
Funster No
MH
Elddis Magnum185GT
Exp
Since July 2012
Bought a 500w pure sine wave inverter at Newbury to charge bike batteries & also wife's laptop, etc. when off grid. Just went to install it & found label stuck on outside saying it is 24v. :( Basically, I was given the wrong one & didn't notice until now. Is there any chance I can use it as is or will I have to get them to send the right one out? The supplied leads are quite short which is OK to connect to one battery but not both in (series?) & still put it where I want it. Thanks for any incoming advice!

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
If eddievanbitz advice is not an option,but give it a GOOD try,someone with electomagical powers may be able to say.. Get a 24v-12v dropper ? This would be my last option,but there again,i will not be buying an inverter any time soon,you don't need one with a steam powered Wireless/TV.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
You need to get it swapped for the correct one I'm afraid.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Hi.
If eddievanbitz advice is not an option,but give it a GOOD try,someone with electomagical powers may be able to say.. Get a 24v-12v dropper ? This would be my last option,but there again,i will not be buying an inverter any time soon,you don't need one with a steam powered Wireless/TV.

A 24-12v dropper will be no use at all, the supply (leisure batteries) is 12V, the load (inverter) needs 24V. A 24V-12V dropper will take the 24V supply (from batteries) and provide 12V. what you suggest is exactly the opposite of what is required.

To the OP, I agree with Eddie, send it back.

D.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi Pappa John and Dave Newell.
Thanks for putting me straight,often the wrong advice gets the proper answer..... "Chucking ideas into the pot..LOL" Thanks again.
Tea Bag.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Ninovan
Oct 27, 2013
Portglenone, Northern Ireland.
Funster No
MH
Elddis Magnum185GT
Exp
Since July 2012
Thanks everybody for your advice. I rang this morning but got an answerphone. Will have to try again on Monday. Strikes me that the vast majority (if not all) of MHs run 12v leisure power so it's strange that they are carrying 24v accessories at a motor home show. :confused: I will be returning it but we're off to France in 3 weeks so wanted it all sorted by then. :unsure:. At least I paid with credit card so may be able to get my money back if they don't play ball.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Hi Ninovan
I wouldn't rely on your c card company stumping up for a refund as they are generally only interested in cases of fraud and insolvency or if you have been supplied faulty goods.
I expect the trader will be happy to replace if you cover the cost of return postage
Best of luck

Last edited by a moderator:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back