Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
Looks like its going to be a chilly Easter break, and since someone gave mrs Vlad an awning heater Ive been thinking how best to get power to it .I assume its as simple as getting this splitter and a lead like this and job done,
Link Removed
Link Removed
Am I right?

Vlad

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
looks reasonable to me.

as you dont state the output of the heater just be aware of the total current draw on the hookup post AND the splitter.

OP
OP
Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Thanks Pappajohn ,if the current draw is too much will the trip just switch or could it damage the vans electrical system ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
the post will trip.

i doubt even the patio heater will take anywhere near 16amps but add a kettle at the same time and 'pop'...there goes the posts breaker.

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
I know they are dearer but you really need the extension/camping sockets protected by an RCD. Like either of the below, they also usually have a built in bracket to hang the unit off the ground

Link Removed

Link Removed

I use one of these in my awning to keep the chill off when im in there, it uses the little canisters of gas

Link Removed

Last edited:

2dogs

Free Member
Nov 2, 2011
Devon
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Rhythm
Exp
Spring 2012
why would you want to heat the world through a flimsy bit of material?

sorry but if its not warm enough in the awning then I would say stay in the van

Cheers
2dogs

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
I noticed on a campsite website the other day (God knows where so please don't ask me!) 'No awning heaters allowed'

We were down in Minehead on the CC site when it snowed, and Mr & Mrs caravan next door went out - and left a 2 bar electric fire on in their awning!

So you can see, campsite's point, can't you? I know we pay a price to include elec and we personally object to them averaging the price out across everyone because we are frugal even when it's unlimited - I mean we don't say Oh dear we'll sit here in the cold in case it uses too much elec or anything stupid like that - I just mean our consumption is low full stop and if someone else wants to use shedloads that's fine - but you should pay for it! - but anyway that is completely taking the hiss to leave it on when you are out, plus it's iffy even when you are there - just TOO much that can go up whoosh in a matter of literally seconds.

The person with the heater may be very well insured thenselves - but what about every other bugger whose lives and holidays could be ruined?

OP
OP
Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Thanks for the replies ,we wouldn't think of leaving it on when not there!Also Mrs Vlad and I plan to be nice and snug in the van,however my two young daughters are into gymnastics in a big way and seem to spend more time on their heads these days.Not too practical in the van so as someone else said just want to take the chill off in the awning so they can play in it,in their leotards,without going blue!

Vlad

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back