Potential motorhome purchase inspection (1 Viewer)

rutteger

Free Member
Feb 4, 2016
Midlands
Funster No
MH
Just Looking
Exp
Hello MFH,

Currently in the market for a motorhome, have been looking at both private and trade purchases. Would be keen to get any potential purchase inspected prior to purchase, especially if I go with a private purchase. Have seen both AIM and MCE recommeded for inspection, can anyone comment on these or make other suggestions?

cheers :D

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Hello MFH,

Currently in the market for a motorhome, have been looking at both private and trade purchases. Would be keen to get any potential purchase inspected prior to purchase, especially if I go with a private purchase. Have seen both AIM and MCE recommeded for inspection, can anyone comment on these or make other suggestions?

cheers :D
Can't comment on either of those, however, I would suggest that you do your own inspection before shelling out hard cash for an inspection.
With a motorhome, your nose is just as valuable as your eyes, if it smells damp or musty, the alarm bells should ring. The floor should not be spongy, check all electrical gizmos work, and check service history, you want to see tonnes of bills. Other than that, it is just like a car, rust, tyres, VIN plates etc., also check that it drives well. A big alarm bell should ring if an excuse is given as to why you can't drive the van! If you are happy with all of that, then get get a professional in.

Upvote 0
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
A big alarm bell should ring if an excuse is given as to why you can't drive the van!

Great advice apart from the last bit, most members of the public turning up to view a private sale will have no insurance to drive it

Our last sale they brought in an independent examiner, I wouldn't let him drive it as he couldn't produce proof of insurance, I drove it for him as I would any other potential buyer

Due to hassles like this and money handover issues, I will be trading in next time

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

meter boy

Free Member
Feb 28, 2016
christchurch
Funster No
MH
don't own one yet but soo
Exp
very much a newbie
Hi As a total newbie i am still researching and test driving private and trade buys, have found it very easy to get 1day or more temp fully comp cover to do this, for me it's worth the 38 odd pounds to know i am covered and not going to get a load of hassle from the seller should i trash their MoHo.

Upvote 0

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Who from and how are you getting the temp cover from?
If buying private, some members can recommend a mobile inspector if you say what area the purchase is in.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

rutteger

Free Member
Feb 4, 2016
Midlands
Funster No
MH
Just Looking
Exp
Some sound advice.

Good point on the temporary insurance cover, also interested to know through who you were covered.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back