Free Member
Apr 6, 2014
Preston, Lancs
Funster No
MH
Hymer B534 (1994) - Hetty
Exp
Since 2014
Sue and I were quite taken with the older Hymers we saw in Southport - thanks for letting us look around. So much so that we may be in the market for one over the next couple of months. If anybody hears of something would you be so kind as to shout?

A class
Under 6M (B544?)
Much prefer right hand drive (come on left-hooker drivers - sell me on getting one instead!)
As highly specced as possible
If the interior needs light attention but gets a bargain that could be OK
Not interested in one which needs body/engine repair. Good scrub fine!
We live in Preston, Lancs
Budget - Up 8K'ish plus Big Gertie (1991 Talisman GL Talbot Autosleeper - probably worth 5K to 6K depending)

All advice gratefully accepted - especially from the Hymer crews!

trekkin

Free Member
Sep 12, 2014
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Rv
Exp
5 years but still learning
No experience of Hymers,

But if it's what you want and you enjoy it, go for it

You just never know what's around the corner, so live life for now, ( with one eye on the future):):)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
OP
OP
Gollom

Gollom

Free Member
Apr 6, 2014
Preston, Lancs
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2014
Saw this one too: Broken Link Removed

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Funny we looked at a 564 this morning over here. Been humming & hawing about changing.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Gollom

Gollom

Free Member
Apr 6, 2014
Preston, Lancs
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2014
Any thoughts on this one? Bit twitchy about Motorhome Depot (seem to be agents?) Should I be? Should I worry about the mileage?

Broken Link Removed

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Yes, motorhome Depot are agents.. not heard any adverse reports..

Mileage is high but if it has been properly serviced not an issue so I'd want to see proof that this had been done.. (advert says only recent service history)..

Damp isn't a big worry with Hymers with the PUAL build system.. as there is no wood to rot .. so even if there is some it won't rot anything.. but still worth taking a damp meter and giving it the 'once over' ..

From what I can see, the interior looks tidy, furnishings look original and in good condition..

I would want a full engine service and cam belt kit as part of the deal.. and new MOT

Worth viewing and doing all the 'usual' checks...

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Don't rush into one though the mileage is acceptable now, you need to think when you want to sell it on the mileage could make it more difficult , around 85 to 90 would be a better mileage for the year now and still reasonable to sell on in a few years.

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
Definitely - give that a wide berth.

I've reported scam sales on that website before to them when I was looking to buy and they don't do anything about it. They don't even remove the advert. No acknowledgement, nothing.

OP
OP
Gollom

Gollom

Free Member
Apr 6, 2014
Preston, Lancs
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2014
Well, spent an age looking online at the different Hymers and the one that ticks two big boxes for us is a S550 (rear lounge and under 6M) Of course they seem to be as rare as an honest politician, so if anybody sees anything (or even has one for sale?) then please shout :) Budget can be a bit more now

Any observations on the S550?

greyman1

Free Member
Aug 7, 2011
manchester
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
9 years motorhome / 10 years campervan
i have a lhd 1996 b534 which is the same u shaped lounge layout but on a fiat chassis . it has proved to be the ideal van for us [2 adults and a labrador] . the pull down bed means one of you can take a nap, totally seperate from the rest of the van, thus leaving the rear seating/bed area ,kitchen and bathroom fully accessable . one thing worth noting, is the rear lounge bed base is made up via a drop down table which is a beast of a thing and can get in the way a bit [especially with a 42kg dog about !!]. i decided to remove mine and we just use a small foldaway table which is ideal for the job. a simple pull out board makes up the bed base when needed. good luck with your search. regards garry

OP
OP
Gollom

Gollom

Free Member
Apr 6, 2014
Preston, Lancs
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2014
i have a lhd 1996 b534 which is the same u shaped lounge layout but on a fiat chassis . it has proved to be the ideal van for us [2 adults and a labrador] . the pull down bed means one of you can take a nap, totally seperate from the rest of the van, thus leaving the rear seating/bed area ,kitchen and bathroom fully accessable . one thing worth noting, is the rear lounge bed base is made up via a drop down table which is a beast of a thing and can get in the way a bit [especially with a 42kg dog about !!]. i decided to remove mine and we just use a small foldaway table which is ideal for the job. a simple pull out board makes up the bed base when needed. good luck with your search. regards garry

Thanks for the reply. You pretty much hit the nail on the head - Mrs Gollom likes to snooze a little in the mornings whereas I like to be up. With the layout in Big Gertie, if I'm up she's up! Not sure the lounge would ever be used for sleeping so that isn't really a problem. See you are in Manchester - we are in Preston so would it be too cheeky asking if we could pop over to take a look should Sue wish to?

What is the length on these? Power steering? Cruise control? Not sure they are much easier to find than S550's!

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
Personally, I'd go for a B544 in preference to a B534 or S510/550.

Reason being that the lounge is upfront and integral with the cab area, making an airy, spacious living space.

With the other two, you have the bathroom and wardrobe in the middle, effectively ruling out the cab area as living space.

Just my opinion, but that big open living space is Hymer's best asset. It's a significant compromise to lose it for the sake of a slightly shorter vehicle...

OP
OP
Gollom

Gollom

Free Member
Apr 6, 2014
Preston, Lancs
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2014
Personally, I'd go for a B544 in preference to a B534 or S510/550.

Reason being that the lounge is upfront and integral with the cab area, making an airy, spacious living space.

With the other two, you have the bathroom and wardrobe in the middle, effectively ruling out the cab area as living space.

Just my opinion, but that big open living space is Hymer's best asset. It's a significant compromise to lose it for the sake of a slightly shorter vehicle...

Take your point but if under 6M it will fit in the drive, if over we would need to find storage and being accessible at a moments notice is a big plus for us. I have a very stressful job (exec level complaints for a major Telco :eek:) so on a Friday night it's jump in, stop at Asda and on M6 at J32 within 1 hour (y)

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
It's only 6.07m, you sure it won't fit :)

I know what you're saying, we've gone from a b544 to a b524 (6.7m) and are now at the limits of our driveway... not easy is it ?

Interestingly, our van sold to a BT tech guy, who needed an escape from his stressful job...

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Hi @Gollom we have just bought a 2003 B544 with just 30k on the clock, most impressed with quality of fit , storage etc.
If you get a good one I'm sure you wont regret it.
PS the Hymer is rhd and we are about to part with our lhd RV. Either side no big deal.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
One thing is for sure if it @Armytwowheels is selling her Hymer then it will be in full working order if you know just how brilliant Colin is at maintenance and repair. Theirs is transverse rear bed and front lounge which is my preference and I know that they have virtually duplicated it with their new van except that they have no drop down front bed anymore, more storage cupboards instead.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
If you go for the rear lounge, your view when driving is much better in a left hand drive.
In rhd, your views will will be limited when looking to the left to exit junctions etc.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
One thing is for sure if it @Armytwowheels is selling her Hymer then it will be in full working order if you know just how brilliant Colin is at maintenance and repair. Theirs is transverse rear bed and front lounge which is my preference and I know that they have virtually duplicated it with their new van except that they have no drop down front bed anymore, more storage cupboards instead.

Same Hymer as mine .. a B644 and it's a great layout.. but it's 7mt , OP has a limit of 6mt.

We contemplated a B544 but as we are still three, decided that the 644, with effectively two sleeping areas was a better layout and gave us more privacy at night .. and when we are only two.. it won't be too big..
Good Hymers are snapped up quickly.. LHD in particular are hard to find.. and B544 very popular, probably the most sought after..

bear in mind.. with RHD, the cab and hab door is still on the continental side.. ie left hand cab door, right hand hab door.. it's only the driving position that is on the right

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back