Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I am considering having a PV Panel fitted. Has anyone with a panel on their van been out in a serious hail storm and if so, how did the panel(s) cope?
We experienced hail stones of about 2 cms diameter in recent years in France and Germany and they left a few small dents in the roof. I am concerned that such treatment might crack a PV panel.

Any thoughts?

Philip

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
In 2006 I had a brand new Kia Sorento and was in Coventry and was hit by large hail stones storm, it damage car body all over any panel facing upwards, if you looked closely along the panels at eye line you could see thousands of minor dents all over.

Unbelievable but true.

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
I am considering having a PV Panel fitted. Has anyone with a panel on their van been out in a serious hail storm and if so, how did the panel(s) cope?
We experienced hail stones of about 2 cms diameter in recent years in France and Germany and they left a few small dents in the roof. I am concerned that such treatment might crack a PV panel.

Any thoughts?

Philip

I have often thought about hailstone damage to solar panels but I have never heard of any one reporting any damage, also on the panels I have, and I think they will all be the same, the voltaic cells are bonded to the glass panel that covers them and I would think the the glass panel would be heat treated to toughen it.

Doug...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back