Free Member
Mar 26, 2017
Radstock
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
I've had mixed info regarding when im sold up at home address and out on the road full time ...can I use my mums address as a postal address or will I need a PO box ?

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
you can use mum's address. to be absolutely right, you would ideally register on the electoral roll at her address. most insurers will accept that, but not po boxes

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
We are about to be the postal and home address for a relative who is going travelling. They will be "home" every 8 weeks or so. Going to put them on the electoral roll here and they will register with the local Dr. Also they will be leaving goods and chattels in our guest room.

It just makes so much more sense than them buying a static caravan or similar which will be empty for 8 weeks out of 9 - less money tied up as well if the travel doesn't work out.

OP
OP
Louxchris

Louxchris

Free Member
Mar 26, 2017
Radstock
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
We will also be storing stuff at mums and visiting regularly...great :)

OP
OP
Louxchris

Louxchris

Free Member
Mar 26, 2017
Radstock
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
We will also be storing stuff at mums and visiting regularly...great :)

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
If mum is on her own, she should be getting a council tax discount, if you register on electoral roll, wouldnt that affect the discount? Only a thought(y)
if you dont and the insurance company suspect anything, they can do a simple search and cancel the policy. this has been happening a lot recently with people using family addresses to get cheaper insurance. live on an estate with a history of vehicle theft? register the insurance with family in a better postcode and lose your insurance. register on the electoral roll and it prevents this issue and gives you access to registering with a gp

OP
OP
Louxchris

Louxchris

Free Member
Mar 26, 2017
Radstock
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
So what your saying is register on electoral roll and all will be good :)

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
So what your saying is register on electoral roll and all will be good :)
No, he is saying the opposite. If your mum lives on her own she will get a single occupant discount from her council tax. If you register on the electoral roll giving her address the council will then believe that you are living there and will take away her discount so she will be paying full price council tax.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
I wouldn't bother about the Electoral register unless you want to vote or get credit.
Not sure about that Jim. I think that the law has changed, making it compulsory to enter your details on the electoral register if asked to do so. I dont know the complexities of this, but, if you 'live' at an address, the head of household must name those 'living' there, and it follows on from that.

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
As far as I could quickly tell (Google, I have to admit) it is an offence to fail to register

http://www.getreading.co.uk/news/local-news/pair-fined-refusing-sign-up-4200256

“Prosecution for not returning the form could lead to a criminal record and a fine of up to £1,000.”

I understand that you are required to register everyone over the age of 18 who is resident at a particular address. https://www.yourvotematters.co.uk/

As far as things like driving licence, vehicle registration, etc, I believe that you are required to provide a permanent address at which you may be contacted. I stand to be corrected on this, but that was the situation as I once understood it.

An important issue is insurance. The last thing you need is for them to invalidate your insurance policy, so don't give them any excuse

I would think the address of the OP's Mum would be fine

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Not sure about that Jim. I think that the law has changed, making it compulsory to enter your details on the electoral register if asked to do so. I dont know the complexities of this, but, if you 'live' at an address, the head of household must name those 'living' there, and it follows on from that.

Only if your living there. Just using that address for DVLA is OK with no need to register.

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
Only if your living there. Just using that address for DVLA is OK with no need to register.
That works.

But issues such as V5, insurance, etc? TBH I don't know the answer

OP
OP
Louxchris

Louxchris

Free Member
Mar 26, 2017
Radstock
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
But what happens if u have no fixed abode? So I will visit my mum ...but surely people with nfa still get insurance ?

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
But what happens if u have no fixed abode? So I will visit my mum ...but surely people with nfa still get insurance ?
Dunno the answer to that, either. I know that post codes are used as part of the underwriter's risk analysis process, but what they do if you are full time, I just don't know

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
no fixed abode means no insurance, and as already said, insurance companies do check. the insurance companies are cracking down on insurance fraud. apply for insurance and one of the first questions you must answer honestly is your address. use mum's address by all means but you must be registered as living there

plenty of people choose to try and bypass the legal bits and dissapear off grid, but it comes at a cost if caught out

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Yes fulltimers still get insurance and you can, if it's important to you, register to vote without a fixed abode too. Most people who haven't done it only see problems, and there are a some problems but all are overcome with a bit of knowledge. Have a chat on this website, http://www.motorhome365.com/forum/ many hundreds of people doing just what you want to do, many of them for decades (y)

Sep 11, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2013
If mum is on her own, she should be getting a council tax discount, if you register on electoral roll, wouldnt that affect the discount? Only a thought(y)

We may be between homes soon, living in MH, thought we'd use mum's address and pay her the equivalent of the single person discount to keep things straight.

Deleted User
We may be between homes soon, living in MH, thought we'd use mum's address and pay her the equivalent of the single person discount to keep things straight.

That would seem to be the simplest and most effective way to keep things straight with everyone.

We have used our son's address for the last 9 years without problem, we are on the electoral register but the single person's discount does not apply to him.

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
We went on the electoral roll just to vote on the referendum last June but have since had a letter from the council in the county that i use stating that the council know the address is used by many as a c/o address and that unless we live there that we would be taken off the register. We have told our insurance that this is a c/o address.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.

I used to do the paperwork for a Romany family and they all used the one address for insurance, tax, RFL etc. I don't know if any were on the electoral roll anywhere as it was an accommodation address and not a residential address.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Sorry, the head of house must only register those living the address AT THE TIME OF FILLING IN THE FORM.
if a fqmily member is on hols etc they dont get registered.....or is that the 10 year census ???

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
8 years of fulltiming, never once been on the electoral register. For the referendum I just rocked up at the local council office and registered as a homeless person. When asked where do I live/sleep etc I pointed out the window at my tatty panel van. A few phone calls and a nice lady came down and helped me fill in a form. She asked for the last address I had any contact/relationship/stayed at. I gave them the local CL I had stopped at after they reassured me I would not be registered at that address nor would any mail be sent there. I have just had an email telling me to drop by if I want to stay on the register for the local elections. I won't bother.

For insurance. This depends on who you call, and what mood they are in. Some years I get fulltimers insurance at my PO box other years they refused and had to do it at my mums. There doesn't appear to be a hard and fast rule on this.

I don't register on the electoral role at mums as it may affect her 25% sole occupiers discount and I don't want to put her through that stress. As I don't live there it is not a legal requirement.

DVLA refused to change my address on my driving license to my PO box so that goes to a relatives address, currently mum's address, but used my sisters in the past.

V5 registered at my PO at the moment as my insurance needs to be the same place as my V5 (odd years only)..

OP
OP
Louxchris

Louxchris

Free Member
Mar 26, 2017
Radstock
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie