Post Restante for delvery of Medicines ? (1 Viewer)

Alistair33

Free Member
Aug 23, 2016
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
None
I'm wondering if anyone uses this service to have a family member post out to your medicines as I've just learned that the maximum the Gp's surgery are allowed to dispense is three months ?

Or perhaps there is an alternative I'm missing, maybe courier delivery to a planned campsite ?

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I had the ACSI book posted to a campsite in France & there was no problem. Reckon if you checked with the site beforehand there shouldn't be a problem.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
Here in Spain ,if you take the boxes in of the actual medicines you use most Farmácias will dispense them over the counter. Far cheaper than the UK.

Yep, same in Portugal. Either that or you have to sign a statement declaring that is what your doctor normally prescribes for you. My brother has been doing that for years with his "little blue gentleman's helpers"

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
I'm wondering if anyone uses this service to have a family member post out to your medicines

I did that once in the past and was informed afterwards that it is illegal to post prescription medication unless it is a medical professional who posts them.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
I did that once in the past and was informed afterwards that it is illegal to post prescription medication unless it is a medical professional who posts them.
Or you can if they state that it is ok to post them. I'd want itin writing though.:D

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
If you tell your GP you're away for three months or more, then they are within their rights to chuck you out of their practice. I had a right old ding dong with the so called Practice Mangager(ess) who told me NO when I asked for more that three months. She more or less told me to lump it or leave it if I wasn't happy. They get money from the NHS every time they write a scrip, so its not cost effective for them if you toddle off on a jolly.

Artycarl

Free Member
Mar 12, 2017
North Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I used Post Restante for a year, the biggest problem I had was finding a Post Office that actually knew what that was, but I did eventually find one and got sent all sorts of packages over the year. I had a mail service Boat Mail and it worked really well. Not sure about medicines and the legality of sending them but might be possible.

OP
OP
Alistair33

Alistair33

Free Member
Aug 23, 2016
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
None
I used Post Restante for a year, the biggest problem I had was finding a Post Office that actually knew what that was, but I did eventually find one and got sent all sorts of packages over the year. I had a mail service Boat Mail and it worked really well. Not sure about medicines and the legality of sending them but might be possible.

Finding one appears to be the main problem ( legality aside ) ... I'm hoping to pick a town, get the post office address and get the package sent on for collection when we pass through the town, so all in all perhaps a little hit and miss !

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
Why not simply visit a GP wherever you are, with your repeat prescription list and get a scrip for whatever you need? Costs c 20 -30 Euros for the GP, then whatever the co-pay is at the pharmacy? (cos Gps and scrips aren't free in France, and EHIC only puts us in the same position as someone local)

NHS rules say that GPs can't claim the 'per capita' payment they get for each patient if the person ceases to be resident - and yes this does apply for temporary absences too such as long holidays. After that, the person ceases to be on their 'list' and they don't get paid for them. It means that most people on tablets would be restricted to 3 x 28 days literally, rather than 3 calendar months but as long as Jenny knows we're going whenever, she starts like now ordering her repeats a little bit earlier than usual so she has some in hand by the time it gets to the start of the holiday - so we can get a bit longer. It's fairly rare for either one of us to have a period any longer than that between hospital appointments for various things anyway - and as those are all for life threatening things ......

MaidinDevon

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 23, 2011
Bromyard, Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
since 2010
My Gp would only give me three months on NHS script. However I could buy a private prescription fir another 3 months worth. The private prescription was very cheap. A couple of quid I think.

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Usually buy ours from a Phamacia when in Spain, quite cheap for the ones we have, just show them your prescription or even empty box.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
This dilemma would be so easy to overcome for me.
I order repeat scripts online.
They are sent electronically to my chosen pharmacy who then deliver the meds to my house.
Anyone at home could then post on to an address of my choice.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
If you tell your GP you're away for three months or more, then they are within their rights to chuck you out of their practice. I had a right old ding dong with the so called Practice Mangager(ess) who told me NO when I asked for more that three months. She more or less told me to lump it or leave it if I wasn't happy. They get money from the NHS every time they write a scrip, so its not cost effective for them if you toddle off on a jolly.
And if you don't renew after 3 months it will be on record and the practice script dispenser/manager will want to know why they weren't reordered when due.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Why not simply visit a GP wherever you are, with your repeat prescription list and get a scrip for whatever you need? Costs c 20 -30 Euros for the GP, then whatever the co-pay is at the pharmacy? (cos Gps and scrips aren't free in France, and EHIC only puts us in the same position as someone local)

NHS rules say that GPs can't claim the 'per capita' payment they get for each patient if the person ceases to be resident - and yes this does apply for temporary absences too such as long holidays. After that, the person ceases to be on their 'list' and they don't get paid for them. It means that most people on tablets would be restricted to 3 x 28 days literally, rather than 3 calendar months but as long as Jenny knows we're going whenever, she starts like now ordering her repeats a little bit earlier than usual so she has some in hand by the time it gets to the start of the holiday - so we can get a bit longer. It's fairly rare for either one of us to have a period any longer than that between hospital appointments for various things anyway - and as those are all for life threatening things ......

We can't do that now with our GP. They've got a new system in place and you can't order a repeat until 4 days before you need the new tablets, ie 28 days after you've picked up your list prescription.

Denise

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
We can't do that now with our GP. They've got a new system in place and you can't order a repeat until 4 days before you need the new tablets, ie 28 days after you've picked up your list prescription.

Denise
Exactly the system we have here. 1 day before /7 after of repeat date & that is it. No advance prescriptions or 3 months supply.
They even brought in a " 30 days out of country & you are removed from health care " list & have to resign , & be able to comply , on your return.
I just get someone to collect mine on the due date . I buy the rest over counter before i go anywhere.
I think it was @Don Quixote who mentioned once that he was removed from the health system each time he went out of Spain.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!

Denise

ROFLMAO Denise - it takes them a good 3 if not 4 days after you request the scrip, to get the drugs from the pharmacy. Order Monday - nobody even does anything with it till Tuesday then it turns up with the actual doctors - one of em is responsible for 'signing' the repeats each weekday. However if they have a mega silly busy day (which is most days) they may not get round to your one until Wednesday. Each day, the authorised ones are then transmitted to the appropriate Pharmacy or printed, for folk who want to collect them from Reception themselves, at approx. 4.30 in the afternoons. As you can imagine - they can't possibly dispense all the ones they get each day, in the 90 minutes before closing - so unless I'm desperate I leave it till the next day. So - that will either be Weds morning if I was lucky - but because one can't possibly rely on that - I'd always leave it till Thursday morning anyway. I will take the last in one of the packets on Friday morning but I'll still have a week fortnight or whatever left of other stuff (and they all run out at different times because I was started on them all at different times)

Hence I order ALL my tabs and anything else I need in one go. Since there are 12 different items on my repeat scrip - no actually 13 - your GPs advertised method would have me ordering a scrip every day for almost 3 weeks!

Now - certain items - one cannot order only what one needs for 28 days - for the simple reason that the amount one needs is variable, by definition for that actual thing. For instance - insulin. Doses are variable, and are adjusted to match exactly what you happen to decide to eat. So, I used to use approx. one and a third vials every month. (there are also cartridges but let's not complicate the maths) Hence - my repeat scrip was for two at a time. Absolutely NO WAY can a diabetic using insulin afford to have less than the in-use vial plus another one spare ready in the fridge - since you have only to accidentally drop the damn thing whilst you're using it - and smash glass everywhere and the house stinks. It's OK if you drop it getting it in and out the fridge, cos they are in boxes with the PIL wrapped round them and usually come to no harm actually LOL It is truthfully a life and death situation when you need insulin to stay alive, to be without any.

Anyway - so you don't order another scrip for it every 28 days. You don't fill your sharps bin every month etc etc etc.

And so - every GP surgery has to make exceptions - for all sorts of things - and honestly the dire warnings and strict rules are intended to prevent people stockpiling NHS drugs they don't actually need - and eg selling the things on the quiet. If there is a genuine need - like 6 weeks holiday - if you actually ASK your GP and explain why - I don't believe he can refuse to supply you with what you need.

rikfos

Free Member
Feb 13, 2011
hereford
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Got enough pills for my wife for 6 months away. As soon as I got 1 months prescription I ordered another months and so on until I had got what I needed

daved2524

Free Member
Jan 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
5th wheel and a Nissan
Exp
Since April 2016
I

I have the the same problems if I say I am away from my home address for more than three months I will be removed from there list and have to get another doctor at my new address. So it's not just if you go over seas it's if you are away from your home address.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
I am on 4 different tablets complained that i would have to come in 4 times for their new rules the receptionist wrote on script sync script and said I would get different amount of each tablet to sync them opens them up and still had 4 full packets,
The mind boggles at time

Joe

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back