Post Quoting

Discussion in 'Site Feedback & Suggestions' started by scotjimland, Oct 17, 2014.

1. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Of late I've noticed several quotes where the quote has been altered or replied to inside the quote box.. this makes it difficult to interpret who wrote what.. it is also wrong to deliberately change a quote to make it read differently.. even in fun..

I appreciate it can be accidental.. but if so please edit so that it is clear what is being quoted and what the reply is..

example.. http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum...g-for-any-prospective-purchasers.91726/page-5

Jim:
    I don't know if it is possible but it would be better if after selection, the 'quote' was 'locked' to prevent alteration or writing within the quoted text box.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Jim

Jim Ringleader

I can't see anything wrong with that item you pointed to, seems to have quoted you verbatim. Or am I missing your point?

• Like Like x 1
  3. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

It's happened to me a couple of times when I've quoted a post but it doesn't seem let you change it - you can edit the post and move your comment outside the quote but when you click save it stays the same

4. scotjimland

it has been copied twice with the second quote altered to read differently..

there are plenty of examples where replies are inside the quote ..

5. Jim

Jim Ringleader

When you quote, the quote is just text, impossible to lock it I'm afraid. and if people type within the open and closed quote codes then unfortunately its going to become part of the quote.

6. buttons

buttons Funster

Sometimes the reply box can already have text or quotes left in it from previous postings. Best to clear text box before any new quotes are added.

7. Jim

Jim Ringleader

The reply box keeps a draft copy, its caught me out a few times :blush: But to all those who, when using the old forum software, frustratingly saw long posts just disappear after a screen refresh or similar, the draft copy we make here is a massive improvement. (y)

8. scotjimland

No probs. Jim.. . thought that would be the case.

In which case I would politely ask that posters don't alter, add to, or selectively copy text so that it is out of context..

Accidentally posting inside quotes has also caught me out, but it can be edited.

9. simply

simply Read Only Funster

An improvement but there's still a frustrating problem: I find that the autosave sometimes locks me out, such as when I delete a wrongly spelt word it will then not allow me to add a replacement word into the text. I am then left with the choice of posting a nonsense piece of text with a word missing or delete the content of the reply box and start again, grrr. Having had this happen on several occasions I have found it possible to cut the whole text, paste it in again and it allows me to do my corrections quickly before the autosave clicks in. It would be much easier if this problem was resolved at source, thank you.
    ps. random media is very, very annoying and is doing my head in, an option to opt out please?

10. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Never experienced that at all, sometimes my replies sit there for hours before I come back to them for a quick edit and post. Seems to work well for me, but then I am lucky Jim

11. sdc77

sdc77 Funster

Sounds fair enough to me

• Like Like x 1
  12. scotjimland

Sounds fair enough to me

• Like Like x 1
  13. TheCaller

TheCaller Funster

I would strongly agree with your point that I've highlighted in red, but there have been some very funny examples of it being done in fun. So long as it's 'between consenting adults' I think it's fine, but I agree, it's out of order unless you are very sure it is going to be accepted in a fun spirit.

I think it usually is accidental. I suspect a lot of it is down to posting from phones & small tablets using big fingers!
    That one looks accidental. The result is indeed difficult to decipher.

I know Jim has already said that it's not possible, but anyway, I think that would just bring in a different set of problems. This layout would be impossible for a start, but it would mean repeating the whole of a long post when you just needed to reply to a single paragraph.

I support the principle of what you are saying, but it's educaction rather than prescription that's needed.

EDIT: This post sounds terrible serious, which it wasn't meant to be. Have a smiley or two. :):)

14. simply

simply Read Only Funster

This site is very slow for me today, took nearly 20 minutes to get my post put on. All other websites seem to be working as usual from my device. Could it be due to the bloomin' annoying random media?
    Can "lucky Jim" kindly take note and respond about being rid of the unwelcome annoyance please? We are not all feeling lucky today and it doesn't feel good that this gripe is being ignored !

15. Jim

Jim Ringleader

I said in your other thread that I had noted your opinion, how is that ignoring you?

16. simply

simply Read Only Funster

Taking literally hours to open threads here on Motorhomenofun today ...

17. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

personally I can't see anything wrong with the current format myself. :whistle::whistle::whistle:

• Like Like x 2