Possible loo leak - urgh!!

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by rosemaryd, Aug 9, 2016.

1. rosemaryd

rosemaryd Funster

Hi all. A lovely toilet thread for you all, sorry!!

We've just got back from ten days in Devon and during that time the loo got smellier and smellier! Lovely! I kept blaming hubby for not putting enough chemicals in but when we packed up it looked as if it had leaked outside the cassette into the area beneath the cassette.

Obviously, one of the kids could have gone to the loo when it was being emptied and decided to keep quiet about it but it doesn't look enough for that.

So, we are thinking it's leaked somehow. Can this happen? In warm weather, if it's full can it ferment and overflow the seal?

I've wiped out the area beneath the cassette but it still smells and when we moved the camper off the driveway yesterday, more liquid had oozed out from somewhere. The cassette has been emptied and not put back in the locker yet till the problem is solved.

Any suggestions on how to sort this would be very gratefully received!

Thanks

Rosemaryd

2. golly

golly Funster

I had a similar problem, but not as bad as yours, I solved it by wedging a strip of Kip mat material under the outside edge of the cassette therby lifting it to make a tighter seal, hope that helps

3. rosemaryd

rosemaryd Funster

Thanks Golly.

4. golly

golly Funster

I have heard of people using cat litter to absorb similar spills, but I don't know how you would remove it from the under cassette areas

5. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

Kenny Rogers had a hit single about this problem some years ago - You Picked a Fine Time to Leave Me Loo Seal.

Seriously though, maybe it's time to replace the seal? Our first one went within a couple of years because I kept the flap tightly shut whenever the MH was in storage, instead of leaving it slack. If the cassette's empty and clean it doesn't need to be sealed up tight - all this does is compress the seal when it doesn't need to. About 6 years on we're still only on our second one.

If there's effluent below the cassette locker you may need to look at adjoining panelling, possibly in the boot and see if any's seeping under. If that's the case then maybe run it up on the levelling chocks to create a slope, place some absorbent material where it seeps through and wait. I had to do that once.

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Theonlysue

Theonlysue Funster Life Member

This happens occasionally. I use a 20% purple dettol mix with water to spray inside locker and kitchen towel to wipe so I can just throw away. Gets rid of smells.
    Good clean of cassette, bit of olive oil on seals or silicon, and hopefully sorted.
    If it leaks straight away again, could be seals.

7. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Johns Cross sell complete overhaul kits with new cassette for not a lot of money.

8. Jenben

Jenben Funster

As others have said if it isn't a new van it could well be the seals, they do deteriorate over time (and use). We keep spare seals in our van for such occurrences. Alternatively, a new overhaul kit as suggested by @hilldweller isn't a lot of money.

9. movan

movan Funster Life Member

Does the leak happen every time you use it?
    I ask because it happened to me a couple of times .. I found the problem was that the lever under the toilet seat that you use to open and close blades .. wasn't always closing completely. As Sue said olive oil or silicin on seals helped but I always really make sure lever gone all the way.

Just spray the compartment regularly and leave the door open when poss .. and it will eventually smell clean again.

10. Bobby22

Bobby22 Funster

The cassette has a breather on itand if you over fill it it will leave a bit of mess below your cassette. If you look under the cassette you will see what i mean. A good hose down should stop your problem.

11. peterc10

peterc10 Funster

Same thing happened to us in our previous motorhome. Small amounts of yellow liquid in the lower base section on each side. Turns out the seal on the cassette which forms the seal between the cassette and the toilet had gone. Bought a new seal and fitted it myself, and after that no problems

12. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

• Like Like x 1
  13. rosemaryd

rosemaryd Funster

Thanks everyone for your replies. I shall kick hubby into action!

14. scotjimland

Tip..

.. when using the toilet, open the shutter before peeing.. or pooing..

a leaking seal will then only affect the person carrying the cassette to the elsan point.. which is very embarrassing to say the least.. splashes of Blu / brown liquid on the legs and feet tend to concentrate the mind..

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

Nooooooo ... my husband used to do that and he stays in there for ages so the smell of the chemicals, waste etc permeated the camper ... along with the 'added scent' from him ... keep it shut IMV! :D

• Funny Funny x 2
  16. scotjimland

no smell with a SOG.. :D

but even before fitting the SOG, we always opened the shutter before using.. I guess it's personal choice.. no right or wrong..

17. rosemaryd

rosemaryd Funster

Thanks all for your replies, very helpful.

Rosemary