Possible fuel saving (1 Viewer)

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi,
In these financial conditions where the price of fuel is rising you may be interested in the following

I recently returned from a trip to Somerset and decided to reduce my cruising speed just to see if i could increase my MPG to try and offset some of the recent rise in fuel prices,

I normally try to keep my speed around 55/60 mph and that returns 25 mpg. This time i kept my speed between 45/50 mph and it has returned 29 mpg. nearly a 17% saving, effectively reducing the 1.25/litre to 1.04/litre

I know this is not scientific and i am sure you are all aware of this and obviously we all get different mpg, but for those of you that are finding in very hard to find the money for the fuel it may be a good and timely reminder that you can do something

I hope that helps

Bryan

Free Member
Jul 19, 2007
Funster No
Hi,

How many miles did you travel and how long did it take you?
How long does it take at the faster speed you normally travel at?

OP
OP
B

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi, Bryan

As i said it wasn't a scientific test, albeit the 25 mpg has been checked over several thousand's of miles, but the 29 mpg was achieved over a 450 mile trip and as for the time i didn't monitor that, but we arrived in good time and i must say it didn't seem to take that much longer.

I am certainly not saying it is for everyone and i am not saying that everyone will achieve the same results, but if you are like me and very aware of the costs i did feel better when i had been able to try and do something about it ?

Hope that helps someone

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Some fuel/cash saving tips, that I have read over the years and in no particular order. They all sound sensible to me, but I am no expert and probably ignore all of them - Must try harder::bigsmile:
  1. Driving in top gear at 50mph or less gets the best mpg for most vehicles
  2. Plan journeys to avoid congestion
  3. Ditch the roof rack
  4. Change your air filter
  5. Clean out your lockers
  6. Properly inflate your tires
  7. Have wheel alignment checked
  8. Turn on your instantaneous fuel display
  9. Anticipate Road conditions and drive smoothly, try and gently lower your speed at stops, junctions and lights, so that you hardly have to use the brakes.
  10. Don't use the air con
  11. Switch off the engine in traffic jams for waits of more than 90 seconds

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back