Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Where can I get a portuguese sim card and how is it activated please. I now have a Spanish one which I know won't work in Portugal.
We're going into Portugal for a week or 2 on our way up to Santander.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
I just went into a vodafone shop and bought one. I think they are supposed to do lots of checks, but they never do.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
My main man JJ got me a 15 gig sim that lasts 15 days from the Mio shop. It gives 1 gig per day for 15 days and costs 15 Emus. Works well. That should be Meo shop, they are everywhere.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Welsh girl

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
15 emus! ! I'll have to pass then I only have 10!

OP
OP
Welsh girl

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
My main man JJ got me a 15 gig sim that lasts 15 days from the Mio shop. It gives 1 gig per day for 15 days and costs 15 Emus. Works well. That should be Meo shop, they are everywhere.
Thanks for the info @JJ where are you when needed?

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
If Funsters go down the Meo offer of 15 gigs for 15 days for €15 they should also know this...

You have to pay €10 for the SIM card too.

If you wish to buy another 15 days worth, you must visit a Meo shop and top it up BEFORE the 15 days are up. If you go passed that time you can't top up without paying another €10 for a new SIM.

I suggest you top it up on the 14th/15th day because your new 15 days start the moment you top up (and you lose any of the original 15 days left over.)

JJ :cool:

OP
OP
Welsh girl

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
If Funsters go down the Meo offer of 15 gigs for 15 days for €15 they should also know this...

You have to pay €10 for the SIM card too.

If you wish to buy another 15 days worth, you must visit a Meo shop and top it up BEFORE the 15 days are up. If you go passed that time you can't top up without paying another €10 for a new SIM.

I suggest you top it up on the 14th/15th day because your new 15 days start the moment you top up (and you lose any of the original 15 days left over.)

Thanks JJ so it's €25 all inclusive for 15 days. I'll only need 2 weeks so that's going to be expensive.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Where can I get a portuguese sim card and how is it activated please. I now have a Spanish one which I know won't work in Portugal.
We're going into Portugal for a week or 2 on our way up to Santander.
The alternative is an NOS Livre card, €10 inclusive for unlimited data for 10 days, you have to find an NOS phone shop, in most large towns.

OP
OP
Welsh girl

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
NOS Livre card, €10 inclusive for unlimited data for 10 days, you have to find an NOS phone shop, in most large towns.
That looks good to me, I'll look for a NOS shop thankyou .

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
There are plenty of independent phone shops in Portugal, and sim cards are also sold in many 'Chinese shops'. Pay as you go stuff has the minimum of paperwork, pay monthly needs a fiscal number. MEO shops are the most abundant, but also the busiest as they are the old post office telephone company. The tend to be no cheaper than the others so not worth the wait. NOS have only 2 shops in the Algarve one in Algarve shopping on the 125 just East of Guia, the other is in the big shopping center on the way into Faro. Vodaphone are quite widely available. Most now allow online top ups but the wide availability of independents also makes cash topups easy. Worten the big electrical retailer can also offer much the same as the phone companies and give you a choice of suppliers under one roof.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
NOS have a shop in Continente Shopping in Portimao... there is one somewhere else in the town too.

I'm afraid the, "only have two shops in the Algarve" statement isn't exactly correct.

Deleted User
NOS stores on the Algarve:

NOS products are as far as I know available in other outlets, Phone house I think, the one in Tavira is now closed.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
We bought our NOS simcard in a supermarket outlet shop. Coverage and speed was excellent.

OP
OP
Welsh girl

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
We'll be coming in at barancos from Spain and traveling north so we're not in the Algarve.
Heading towards Mourao.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Can you activate the sim yourself by texting a number please?
No need - you simply put the sim in your MIFI, and when you access the Internet the first time you enter the code written on the pack and hey presto.
You only enter the code one time and the sim pack instructions are written in English
If you buy two cards then you mustn't activate the second card until you are ready to use it

OP
OP
Welsh girl

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
I don't have a mi fi. Only a smartphone.

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
There are quite a lot of NOS shops, there's one in San Antonio Vila Real, plus several others that I didnt make a note of!

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
NOS have a shop in Continente Shopping in Portimao... there is one somewhere else in the town too.

I'm afraid the, "only have two shops in the Algarve" statement isn't exactly correct.

Seems they have opened a lot more shops recently. when I was living there there were only the two, and as since I gave up my contract I do all bills on line I haven't bothered to check. There coverage seems good and I cannot fault the help have got from their shops

Daveg

Free Member
Sep 2, 2012
Perthshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
November 2012
Personal experience over the past couple of weeks is that MEO 15 Gb for €15 is efficient and good value. Vodaphone want the same money for 1.2 Gb.

I'd go with MEO if (as I do) I want to keep up with Happy Valley and Grimm.

Bought the MEO sim on the Algarve in a MEO shop from a very nice English speaking lady. Renewed in Tomar yesterday at an agent with the help of google translate and a lot of mime.

I love Portugal.

Dave

Reactions: JJ

Kim H

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 24, 2011
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
Since 2011
We've been using the NOS sim as recommended by @JJ all the time we've been in Portugal. It's been absolutely brilliant. We bought 5 of them and have activated one today, with only one left - guess we're close to the end of our holiday now! Thanks for the recommendation.

OP
OP
Welsh girl

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
I bought a Meo sim card yesterday. Here in the Meo outlet within intermarché Elvas. €15 for 15gb good value I say and very fast speed. Only for 15 days but will be out of portugal then. I paid €10 for the sim card but I'll probably use it again this winter anyway. Thanks for all the help everyone.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back