LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
We had planned a winter in Spain/Portugal.
All the English we meet in Spain who have been snowbirding for years say forget Portugal as Dec, Jan and Feb are the rainy season. They say stay on the Med coast in Spain!!!

Opinions please? :Smile:

Last edited:

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
All the English we meet in Spain who have been snowbirding for years say forget Portugal as Dec, Jan and Feb are the rainy season. They say stay on the Med coast in Spain!!!

I can't give an opinion Ken as this will be our first winter away from home. I hope that they are right about the Med coast in Spain though,as that is where we will be.

Brisey.

flatpackchicken

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2010
BICESTER OXFORDSHIRE
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I8000
Exp
Since nov 2009
We had planned a winter in Spain/Portugal.

Opinions please? :Smile:[/QU

Well i done 5 months this year Dec 11 to May 12 and had 3 months of non stop sunshine fron the time i arrived to mid april area, may have been a fluke but was superb, then only a few days here and there untill i left mid May, So there you have it, Regards Garry Flatpackchicken

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years

I have only wintered in Portugal for the last twelve years.

One of them was very wet and stormy for weeks on end.

All the others have been wet, sunny, cold, windy and hot as the weather tends to change here from time to time too but...

It has ALWAYS been warmer and sunnier than Blighty and has less English here than in Spain. :ROFLMAO:

Today... Central Portugal... Sky Blue sky, wall to wall sunshine, 20C

(heater was on low during the night though)

I don't own a woolly sweater...

JJ :Cool:

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2008
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Symbol
Exp
Van Conversion
Spain

Hi Ken and Steph
When ever we see the weather forecasts here in Spain the med always seems to be drier and warmer than elsewhere in europe, also Portugal is in the same timezone as england so earlier dark nights.
After saying all that we'l probably heading down to Portugal after christmas and the med certainly is'nt drier today its peeing down here in Benidorm and has been all morning
Alan

bob and jules

Free Member
May 27, 2009
Goosnargh Lancashire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Feb 2009
Ditto....... Waterproofs for 3 days now in Marbella. At least the rain's kind of warm. Algarve in January this year was very sunny, if a bit breezy / cool out of the sun. Can't guarantee the weather anywhere but its got to be better than the North West of England.

Soaringman

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
March 2012
Ditto....... Waterproofs for 3 days now in Marbella. At least the rain's kind of warm. Algarve in January this year was very sunny, if a bit breezy / cool out of the sun. Can't guarantee the weather anywhere but its got to be better than the North West of England.

Well Bob and Jules you are right about the NW it is damp and miserable in Windermere, about 7 deg c although the last 2 days have been sunny, looking forward to our first time abroad in the Motorhome, as soon as we can keep it out of the garage for a few weeks:Sad:
Martin & Sue

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
I've been wintering over near Marbella for the last 5 years and have had one wet and dismal winter and the rest pretty good.

Have also visited Portugal in the winter which has also been OK but very windy on the coast and colder than Spain.

They say the best place for good weather is on the Golfo De Almeria which I've tried too but I'm afraid the fields of plastic soon had me heading back to Marbella.

Pete:Cool:

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Can't help Ken one thought though even if it rains it will be warmer rain than UK :ROFLMAO: plus if Alan decides to join you it won't matter where you are the rain will find you :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I really admire how you and Steph have took to the foreign way of living considering how nervous you both where when we met you. Really glad it's all working out and I'm real jealous so where ever you end up this winter have a great one

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
We had rain in Portugal for two nights from December to end April last year. We ventured over to Spain to spend a month at Zahora with some funsters, we felt it was cooler than in Portugal.

Back in the eighties we spent about 7 winters in Portugal, we couldn't complain about the weather then. We even ate Christmas dinner outside with candles alight.

It is windy in places, but not so if you keep away from the coast, you only have to go inland a little bit. Plenty of wild camping at Silves - huge carpark by the swimming pool, plenty camp there for the winter - 146 motorhomes at one time last year. For us it's nice to stay a night or two at a time and say hello to other travellers, but it's not our cup of tea to stay too long.

Happy travels.

Nigel and Pamala

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Have heard that the vans have been moved off Slives...probably just "Vanners' Chinese Whispers" but even if true, there are many (better) places in the area.

JJ :Cool:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back