Portugal???

Discussion in 'Continental Touring' started by Munchie, Nov 6, 2012.

1. Munchie

Munchie Funster Life Member

We had planned a winter in Spain/Portugal.
    All the English we meet in Spain who have been snowbirding for years say forget Portugal as Dec, Jan and Feb are the rainy season. They say stay on the Med coast in Spain!!!

Opinions please? :Smile:

Last edited: Nov 6, 2012
  2. Brisey

Brisey Funster Life Member

All the English we meet in Spain who have been snowbirding for years say forget Portugal as Dec, Jan and Feb are the rainy season. They say stay on the Med coast in Spain!!!

I can't give an opinion Ken as this will be our first winter away from home. I hope that they are right about the Med coast in Spain though,as that is where we will be.

Brisey.

• Like Like x 1
  3. flatpackchicken

flatpackchicken Funster Life Member

• Like Like x 3
  4. JJ

JJ Funster

I have only wintered in Portugal for the last twelve years.

One of them was very wet and stormy for weeks on end.

All the others have been wet, sunny, cold, windy and hot as the weather tends to change here from time to time too but...

It has ALWAYS been warmer and sunnier than Blighty and has less English here than in Spain. :Rofl1:

Today... Central Portugal... Sky Blue sky, wall to wall sunshine, 20C

(heater was on low during the night though)

I don't own a woolly sweater...

JJ :Cool:

Last edited: Nov 6, 2012
    • Like Like x 9
  5. alan

alan Funster

Spain

Hi Ken and Steph
    When ever we see the weather forecasts here in Spain the med always seems to be drier and warmer than elsewhere in europe, also Portugal is in the same timezone as england so earlier dark nights.
    After saying all that we'l probably heading down to Portugal after christmas and the med certainly is'nt drier today its peeing down here in Benidorm and has been all morning
    Alan

6. bob and jules

bob and jules Read Only Funster

Ditto....... Waterproofs for 3 days now in Marbella. At least the rain's kind of warm. Algarve in January this year was very sunny, if a bit breezy / cool out of the sun. Can't guarantee the weather anywhere but its got to be better than the North West of England.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Soaringman

Soaringman Funster

Well Bob and Jules you are right about the NW it is damp and miserable in Windermere, about 7 deg c although the last 2 days have been sunny, looking forward to our first time abroad in the Motorhome, as soon as we can keep it out of the garage for a few weeks:Sad:
    Martin & Sue

8. Pikey Pete

Pikey Pete Read Only Funster

I've been wintering over near Marbella for the last 5 years and have had one wet and dismal winter and the rest pretty good.

Have also visited Portugal in the winter which has also been OK but very windy on the coast and colder than Spain.

They say the best place for good weather is on the Golfo De Almeria which I've tried too but I'm afraid the fields of plastic soon had me heading back to Marbella.

Pete:Cool:

• Like Like x 1
  9. lorger

lorger Funster

Can't help Ken one thought though even if it rains it will be warmer rain than UK :Rofl1: plus if Alan decides to join you it won't matter where you are the rain will find you :Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

I really admire how you and Steph have took to the foreign way of living considering how nervous you both where when we met you. Really glad it's all working out and I'm real jealous so where ever you end up this winter have a great one

• Like Like x 1
  10. Sundowners

Sundowners Funster Life Member

We had rain in Portugal for two nights from December to end April last year. We ventured over to Spain to spend a month at Zahora with some funsters, we felt it was cooler than in Portugal.

Back in the eighties we spent about 7 winters in Portugal, we couldn't complain about the weather then. We even ate Christmas dinner outside with candles alight.

It is windy in places, but not so if you keep away from the coast, you only have to go inland a little bit. Plenty of wild camping at Silves - huge carpark by the swimming pool, plenty camp there for the winter - 146 motorhomes at one time last year. For us it's nice to stay a night or two at a time and say hello to other travellers, but it's not our cup of tea to stay too long.

Happy travels.

Nigel and Pamala

11. JJ

JJ Funster

Have heard that the vans have been moved off Slives...probably just "Vanners' Chinese Whispers" but even if true, there are many (better) places in the area.

JJ :Cool: