Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
After a nice sunny week down in devon, we are back home and planning the next trip. The MH behaved itself and we found no real problems, apart for uncomfortable beds, which is being addressed now.
Our next trip will be Portugal in september. We had planned to go to the chicken run for our stay, but have decided to have a meander about instead. Anyone know any good places to go, 'tis our first time out there so any help welcome.:thumb:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
well my territory . get a cepsa mapa max map from amazon . it as all the little places and beaches alot dont show . either start at the top or at sagres . and follow the west coast its fantastic just above figuera de foz and down from aveiro there is a lovely road not far from the sea its in forest country but can lead to some really fantastic beaches specailly above and around praia de tocha.
furadouro is m,home friendly and a great place .
further down peniche as loads of fine beaches again great.
carry on down and visit cabo de roca ,the furthest place west in europe .
loads of places on the way ,at lisbon turn right over the bridge .
near alcacer do sol turn inland to pego de alter a big resevoir .good parking around there .
then back out to the coast all the way down to sagres .
there are loads of places to visit on the way guide books give all the common places .
the algarve well not too keen on it myself too many hotels and tourists .
nice baragems in land above or near silves also santa clara a velha is another big one.
hope that helps . follow the sea its great .if there is a road between you and the sea you are on the wrong road ,almost . have fun we do.

Last edited:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
vwalan knows his stuff and following his advice would be wise.

I would just like to say (as you all no doubt know) that there is much, much more to Portugal than the beaches. I have travelled the west coast road he mentions and there are fabulous places to stay and I am not talking campsites here... but there are also great places inland too and loads of lakes to park on the banks of and super towns/cities like Coimbra, Tomar, Evora and Mertola to explore etc etc. This is well before you get to the tourist, all day breakfast and fish and chips Algarve down in the south and even there there are wonderful, quiet beaches.

Frankie (Yodeli) and I are doing a tour starting on Thursday (Yipppeee) and we plan to post news and photos of the places we visit.

Funnily enough we start at Pego Da Altar by Alcacer mentioned by Alan as there is Rui's restaurant there. (Maybe not as much parking now as in earlier years since the main space has been sold to new people and is now fenced off.)

We hope these forthcoming posts might give you an idea of the places.

JJ :Cool:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
OP
OP
darklord

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
:thumb:Thanks gents, I,m going on Amazon to get the maps and will follow the advice, sounds like your advice is right up out street

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi jj just go up the road to the other parking place.
there are loads of car and truck factories as well mitsubishi at tramagal . toyota at olhao marinha.this one is close to peniche and as a nice friendly show room right by the side of it. hee hee .i visit them all.
but there is so much to see ,takes a life time .
also there is that jj i might call on him one day if i can find him .
been meaning to for a couple of years but not got there yet.
jj whats a camp site .oh . you mean them prison camps .that have high fences to stop you getting out .
seen them .

Last edited:

jazz

Free Member
May 19, 2008
South Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
16yrs previously 25years caravaning
We off to algarve 10th sept, roll on.............................:Cool:

Rayb182

Funster
Deceased RIP
Nov 13, 2009
Great Bentley
Funster No
MH
Sundance 590 PR
Exp
Since 1999
Hoping to go end of October, Santander thru Spain to Portugal and follow west coast all the way down to Cape St. Vincent then turn left follow south coast, having Christmas at our winter retreat. Of coarse hoping to visit friends on the way down.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi, nice trip. hope you have good weather . i normally do it the other way round . leave here oct/nov down to barcelona or valencia .then turn left and follow the coast right round .zigging inland to visit sime places . usually with a maroc tour in the middle .
missing maroc this year .just spain and portugal. i do like cape st vincent it feels like the end of the world .buy nice portugese blankets there.
i take it you have done cabo de roca ,we park by the lighthouse . not a bad place for a couple of nights .
have a good one . might see you on the road somewhere. cheers alan.

Rayb182

Funster
Deceased RIP
Nov 13, 2009
Great Bentley
Funster No
MH
Sundance 590 PR
Exp
Since 1999
hi, nice trip. hope you have good weather . i normally do it the other way round . leave here oct/nov down to barcelona or valencia .then turn left and follow the coast right round .zigging inland to visit sime places . usually with a maroc tour in the middle .
missing maroc this year .just spain and portugal. i do like cape st vincent it feels like the end of the world .buy nice portugese blankets there.
i take it you have done cabo de roca ,we park by the lighthouse . not a bad place for a couple of nights .
have a good one . might see you on the road somewhere. cheers alan.

Doing Maroc in Feb, followed all the threads last year

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i would advise going earlier feb is ok march and april can get very windy. as the trade winds come upwards . but enjoy it ,i,m sure you will.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back