Portugal

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by mopauline, Dec 13, 2009.

1. mopauline

mopauline Read Only Funster

We are considering travelling down through Spain to Portugal in the New Year.:Smile: Please can anyone suggest good sites etc in Portugal as we havent been that far in the motorhome before. Thanks
    Pauline:Smile:

2. bobandjanie

bobandjanie Funster Life Member

Hi, We have not been there either :BigGrin: Nearly went last January but stayed in France. Will be going late August 2010 though and in Summer there should be no difficulty finding stopovers which I believe is the problem wintertime for those not in The Know. :Wink:
    Now I have 'bumped' this I am sure those very experienced folk will give their advise but also try doing a search on here, as often no question is new, and most answers will still be relevant. All information is pretty much history anyway! :Laughing:
    Happy travels, Jane:Smile:

3. keith

keith Funster

Ria Formosa, Cabanas, close to Tavira.

New site in 2008 it's all level hard standing. Train along the Algarve close by, or Tavira by bike.

Spent a month there last winter & thought it was great.:thumb:

We may finish up there early next year after Spain.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2009
  4. fedupwithsystem

fedupwithsystem Read Only Funster

Tavira is a good start to your holiday, The beast way to see the Algarve is to get off the m/way and get on the en 125. One of the first good campsites is on the way to Tavira its called Cabanas or you can park in Tavira free . you will also find that if you want to find any rations it is cheaper to shop this side of Faro the further west you go the more the food seems to cost.

5. Phil

Phil Read Only Funster

6. wanderer

wanderer Funster

Hi
    I would suggest Acsi for Portugal in january and stay at the Orbital campsites.If you are driving from the north it is not sensible to drive the Algarve in one go and you will miss the best parts.Also be aware the weather can be a bit windy and chilly in January . I thought the site at Odivelus was excellant but then i like it rural and like my carp fishing
    Wanderer

7. Funnymunny

Funnymunny Read Only Funster

The first time i went to Portugal i couldnt find the planned site so i asked a local polceman where he nearest site was, his answer after looking at the van was, "Campsite ? is that what you really want " spreading his arms around at the coastline.

There are plenty of sites open all year, some reasonable some very poor but cheap and some very expensive for what they are.
    You will find wild camping the norm all over Portugal except in a few places like Lagos where you have to go on a campsite.

We have just returned after our 6th trip to Portugal, we spent 9 weeks away and only 5 days on camp sites.

What part of Portugal do you intend going to ? do you prefer a site or wildcamping ?

RD

8. JJ

JJ Funster

Ria Formosa (Cabanas, Nr Tavira) (mentioned by Keith above) has a promotion on at the moment... depending on the length of your outfit it goes from €251.25 (plus 5% tax) up to €350 (plus tax) for a month.

I prefer to spend such money on other things rather than parking!!!

JJ

9. cater_racer

cater_racer Read Only Funster

Hi MoPauline,

I'm doing the same trip going on the 9th, dover Calais, then down to the Algarve, for a few weeks. I'll be avoid tolls and ahve booked capsites for the Spain / Portugal bit but will use the aires for the first few days.

First bookeked stop is Camping Beausoleil on the 12th for 2 nights.

G & A

10. autocaravana adventure

autocaravana adventure Read Only Funster

Last edited: Dec 23, 2009
  11. Kon tiki

Kon tiki Read Only Funster

Our first time in Portugal in March this year, booked our Eurotunnel crossing for Feb & intend to head straight down to Portugal as we enjoyed it so much. Usually don't bother with campsites as we travel about a lot but this year we are hoping to stay a bit longer in some of the places so we might stop on a few campsites.