Neville

Free Member
Nov 18, 2015
chabanais France
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
We are traveling to Budens in Portugal mid February. we are travelling from France through Spain.

Can anyone recommend any stop over sites.

Neville and Denise

OP
OP
Neville

Neville

Free Member
Nov 18, 2015
chabanais France
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Thanks for your reply.
We are cross at San Sebastian following the E-80 onto the E-803 to Badajoz, E802 Portugal, E1.
Some sites/aires

Neville

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
If you haven't heard of it have a look at the CamperContact app. You can download it for Android and iOS and costs a few pounds.

For example this is the map for southern Portugal, the black flags are aires, blue are campsites (which doesn't have many listed as it is really an aires resource).

Screenshot_20160131-131253.png

It covers the whole of Europe. There are other apps but for me and quite a few others it is by far the easiest to use. You can also filter the results so it only shows, for example, those with high ratings.

To find it search in the play store for "NKC" although the app is called All Motorhome Parkings.

A typical entry looks like this:

Screenshot_20160131-132103.png

Clicking on the buttons opens up specific pages describing facilities and the reviews etc. Not many of the reviews are in English but you can see the scores folk have given and from that get an idea of what it is like. It is very easy to upload your own reviews - and you should!

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
@DBK been looking for a suitable camping app for my Samsung Galaxy so downloaded the NKC one a couple of minutes ago. How do I know whether it's the paid version or not and what info do I need to log in and what are all the different 'campergids' that are available to download ?
I'm a real numpty when it comes to this kind of technology and cos it's on my phone, I cant make the pictures any bigger to read the info on the 'campergids'
TIA.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
@DBK been looking for a suitable camping app for my Samsung Galaxy so downloaded the NKC one a couple of minutes ago. How do I know whether it's the paid version or not and what info do I need to log in and what are all the different 'campergids' that are available to download ?
I'm a real numpty when it comes to this kind of technology and cos it's on my phone, I cant make the pictures any bigger to read the info on the 'campergids'
TIA.
No idea what camper grids are I'm afraid.

You should be able to register but I did it so long ago I've forgotten how it was done. However, if you have access to a PC try logging on to Link Removed and registering there.

From memory the free app only has about 10% of the sites. You could have a look at the map for southern Portugal and see if it looks like the one above.

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
The full version says "Full version" across the right hand top corner in a green box, if you press the info icon in the bottom right corner it takes you to the settings page where the second option down is "Buy full version" hope that helps.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
No, it's a one off as far as I know and it costs the equivalent of €5 I think.
it is per year ....
The reason I asked was that I paid about 2 years ago, but now seem not to have the full version any more! And does your year start when you pay, or a set date each year?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
No, it's a one off as far as I know and it costs the equivalent of €5 I think.
Are you referring to Camper Contact, as I downloaded it about 3 years ago when I tried to use it last year it wanted me to pay again.

A very good free app is Promobil from the German magazine also lists dealers, it is very quick and easy to use, but you do need to be online.

We are going down through France to Portugal mid Feb cross to Dieppe on 14th, we don't worry about stops in advance as we never know where we will end up on any one day, take it as it comes as long as we can find somewhere safe to park for the night which is very easy in France.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Are you referring to Camper Contact, as I downloaded it about 3 years ago when I tried to use it last year it wanted me to pay again.

A very good free app is Promobil from the German magazine also lists dealers, it is very quick and easy to use, but you do need to be online.
Lenny, yes I am referring to campercontact. Want to use something that does not need to be online. We are off South in a month or so's time, just not sure where South yet!

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Just checked app and it says I can buy the complete version 2015 for £4.60. Does anybody know when the 2016 version comes out and if I buy it now I have access to the later version?

you can buy any time and it will last a full year. When new info is available you simply update free of charge :)

Also as @Robert Clark said, if you note the camperstop ref no and go to the 'web' version you can enter the ref no there and then read the reviews in English :) :)

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Just checked app and it says I can buy the complete version 2015 for £4.60. Does anybody know when the 2016 version comes out and if I buy it now I have access to the later version?
I'll show you my version on Thursday
It's pretty much the only reference tool I use

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Lenny, yes I am referring to campercontact. Want to use something that does not need to be online. We are off South in a month or so's time, just not sure where South yet!
Don't know if the latest version is any better, but the version I have is so slow off-line it is unusable, for off-line I rely on a 130,000 push pin set in Autoroute.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Go on, be a devil and splash out your £4.60! You can then give it a try yourself. :)

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
The full version says "Full version" across the right hand top corner in a green box, if you press the info icon in the bottom right corner it takes you to the settings page where the second option down is "Buy full version" hope that helps.

Mine doesn't look anything like that, here's a screenshot of the home page, is it the correct app ?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-02-01-10-57-48.png
    Screenshot_2016-02-01-10-57-48.png
    89 KB · Views: 42

Eamless

Free Member
Nov 29, 2013
London
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
The trouble is I am off to Italy this spring (hopefully)
Am in Sicily now. Leaving here in march and heading North. Will have a list of stopovers then. We tend to 'free load' and just for suitable places on google earth.

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
You can buy 'All the Aires Spain and Portugal' from Vicarious Books. Easy to use and no internet needed. There is also one for France. We use these all the time, look at it at lunchtime cause you'll know roughly where you will be that evening and can choose which one will be suitable, and it doesn't matter what time you turn up either, especially if you felt like doing a few more miles or less as the case may be.

kcy

Free Member
Nov 7, 2013
east yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chausson flash
Exp
since 2012
In the last few hours I've bought campercontact and a pair of Nordic little wellies. I'm so gullible. Have also been talking to the Motorhome wifi guy.:oops2:

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
You can buy 'All the Aires Spain and Portugal' from Vicarious Books. Easy to use and no internet needed. There is also one for France. We use these all the time, look at it at lunchtime cause you'll know roughly where you will be that evening and can choose which one will be suitable, and it doesn't matter what time you turn up either, especially if you felt like doing a few more miles or less as the case may be.
With respect, why would you want to spend time trawling through books, which were out of date the moment the were printed, trying to find an Aire which has the facilities you need, only to find that it had been targeted by thieves
Campercontact allows you to filter results to show Aires AND campsites AND service points which have the exact facilities you want - plus you can see reviews from recent users who have actually stayed there. No book does all this, and covers thousands of sites across Europe and Scandanavia
Furthermore with Campercontact, once you have downloaded their offline maps, no internet connection is required.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi @Neville To answer your question we have just driven down France and stopped at San Sebastián then Palencia which is a nice Aire with good access and 23 good pitches all free water dump etc, next stop Salamanca no services and can get busy but super town if you want a bit of sight seeing as you go, we arrived early as it a short day from Palencia so we found a spot no problem but they are just car parking spaced so can get tight with cars next to you, we are now at Caceres which again is busy but we got here early as another short day from Salamanca there is a good camp site here as well apparently, and again the town is worth half a day for sure.

We also use the campercontact app, well I do and Jen uses the Aires book so between us we can usually find somewhere.

Martin

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
With respect, why would you want to spend time trawling through books, which were out of date the moment the were printed, trying to find an Aire which has the facilities you need, only to find that it had been targeted by thieves
Campercontact allows you to filter results to show Aires AND campsites AND service points which have the exact facilities you want - plus you can see reviews from recent users who have actually stayed there. No book does all this, and covers thousands of sites across Europe and Scandanavia
Furthermore with Campercontact, once you have downloaded their offline maps, no internet connection is required.

We also have Campercontact, but we prefer the Aires books, and are yet to find an Aire that has been trashed. Personal preference I suppose.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back