Free Member
Sep 7, 2014
North devon
Funster No
MH
Adria sonic supreme
Exp
Since 2015
hello, we are off to the continent this coming Thursday, no plans have been made but Portugal has been mentioned. Herself is a bit concerned about the toll roads, she says easy tolls seems the best way to go, is this valid on all Portuguese motorway or just a few, any tips on enjoying Portuguese life would be appreciated thanks in advance

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Toll roads in Portugal are not expensive (especially compared to France).

As we entered the country from Spain on the E1 from Seville there is a area off the motorway that you can register the van and a credit card.

The toll roads are deserted in Portugal, nobody but tourists use them and not to many of them do.

I found the Portuguese lovely people and thoroughly enjoyed my visit to the Algarve area. (y)

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Hi. Took the advice of some funsrers and didn't bother registering a credit card on entry to Portugal. . Set the sat nav to avoid the tolls and really enjoyed our travels. . Think you see a lot more of the really nice parts of the country by avoiding motor ways ...
It might pay to register just in case you decide to use the odd m/w. There is a small charge just to register even if you don't end up using them I believe..
Enjoy your trip.
Ta Andy.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
It does no harm to register at the entry point using a credit card, first used it over two years ago and still haven't been billed. I still have the receipts in case i get pulled of course..

Gin Palace

Free Member
Apr 30, 2015
Cambridge
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero
Exp
Newbie!
Www.portugaltolls.pt this website gives you a map of where the tolls are and details on how to pay The A22 that runs along the Algarve from the Spanish border to Lagos is an easy toll road which is unmanned you can now register up to 1 month before you travel to pay for this toll road you register your reg no and card details and when you travel along this road it will automatically deduct from your card. The other toll roads usually have a machine before they start so you can purchase a toll card for that road.
Have fun!

OP
OP
Steve devon

Steve devon

Free Member
Sep 7, 2014
North devon
Funster No
MH
Adria sonic supreme
Exp
Since 2015
Thank you for the replies, Portugal is looking very favourable at the moment, let's see what happens!

gibbon

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
Shatterford
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2005
We entered Portugal leaving Spain from Isla Cristina, registered at the welcome area on the motorway, got charged about £7 for our journey to Falesia. Quite reasonable we thought.
Didn't use the toll roads again & saw so much more on the journey north again.
Portugal & it's people are lovely, whatever you decide to do you will love it, we can't wait to go back(y)

Deleted User
Don't think you can appreciate Portugal and it's people from any road.

I prefer stopping in an area for a while and having a proper look round:)

Tincataylor

Free Member
Jul 9, 2012
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Never leave a campsite with your clothes line tied to a lamp post.
We found we travelled in Portugal without the need for any toll roads. The people are lovely and the whole country has a relaxed feel to it. If you can try and explore the Atlantic coast north of Cabo de Sao Vincente as it is absolutely beautiful.

The Tinc's

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Although we travel in Spain a lot and have holiday'd in Portugal before we got a MH, we have several Portuguese neighbours here at home.
Without exception they are all great people with a love of life and a respect for everyone and everything not found often today..

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
im in portugal now and you defo still dont need toll roads just have fun and see the scenery

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
forgot to put me watch back a hr i think i have jet lag ;)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back