LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
Just learnt the hard way that although upon entering Portugal we stopped at the tourist entry point and entered our credit card into the machine as advised so if going on any toll roads that the fee would be registered and paid ......Wrong somehow we hadn't realised / forgotten that it was only for 30 days

So stopped today for fuel and a tap at the door, a nice traffic policeman mentioned unpaid tolls on our vehicle .. €25.50 and €19.89 admin fees ... very polite but explained how to pay every 30 days as they are sending the fines to the uk home address including a fine which costs more ..

So was it a lucky stop for us or not lolol ..we think so o_O

John n Kath xx

Deleted User
Unlucky but it does happen, we were caught in the same circumstances on a service area despite our best efforts to comply when the tolls where first introduced.

Les

Apr 18, 2008
Seaford
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2005
Hi Cath,unlucky I guess,how do you extend it? Know you used to go to Post Office to pay tolls just give Reg No but that was hit and miss if it showed up
Les

OP
OP
champers

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
So, Kath, you didn't end up with a €250 fine like someone I know...!

JJ :cool:
Thankfully no..
Only a flat/ low pressure tyre lol
But now parked at manta rota lower car park as official aire full..... hope to not get another gnr turn up lol

Last edited:

Deleted User
Hi Cath,unlucky I guess,how do you extend it? Know you used to go to Post Office to pay tolls just give Reg No but that was hit and miss if it showed up
Les

Don't think that you can extend the credit card linked option without going through one of the sign up points, but I stand to be corrected.

It is possible to prepay by opening an account via this link:

Link Removed

then click 'how to pay', under tollcard click buy here and buy online or it is supposedly possible to buy at CTT post offices or motorway service areas.

I have only used the online prepayment method.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
champers

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
1491142478822-1567193618.jpg

14911425575131307053182.jpg

Les
There is a website you can pay this is where he advised us to pay online
Kath

Reactions: Les

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
You experts on the Portugal tolls; is there any way of identifying online any unpaid tolls attributed to your number plate. I have a road box which covers Portugal but it played up when I was there last Autumn. The company sent me a replacement but I do not know if I have some unpaid ones where the old box did not ping.

OP
OP
champers

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
Sorry only know that if we go online here we can see what tolls are owed presently .. but if the fine is sent to the uk then it is much more than what you would have paid if done before you leave Portugal as we understand it alas..longer left the more costly it is perhaps

Kath

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Sorry only know that if we go online here we can see what tolls are owed presently .. but if the fine is sent to the uk then it is much more than what you would have paid if done before you leave Portugal as we understand it alas..longer left the more costly it is perhaps

Kath
I have not had any notification, how do you see what is due online?

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Thankfully no..
Only a flat/ low pressure tyre lol
But now parked at manta rota lower car park as official aire full..... hope to not get another gnr turn up lol
Just missed you. We were in the official site yesterday. So I guess we will be getting a fine through the door as we never paid tolls.

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
I'm off to Portugal in a couple of weeks so,if you send me a couple of hundred euros I'll go,and pay the toll fee for you in advance. OK?
Please credit my bank account 1234567. I'll send you a receipt of course along with your guaranteed no hassle toll free card.:LOL::LOL:;););););););););););)

OP
OP
champers

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
Not sure ... I will try to pay today's toll and let you know ... Mr nice traffic policeman said to follow those online instructions.. but as we can't get on the official aire here may well end tomorrow with a fine for parking in the non official parking lot ...we just missed the gnr at Armacao de Pera .. well we heard a knock on the door early am and hushily drove away without answering.. but the little van next to us had a ticket being written out alas and they only arrived the eve prior ..as have a couple of other folk we met since

Seems like they are clamping down here sadly

Kath xx

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
I must admit we avoid the electronic toll roads like the plague and anything that ties my number plate to my credit card. Yes unpaid tolls and fines ramp up fast if not paid, with no allowance for the quite slow postal system.

glastry

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 20, 2012
northern ireland and portugal
Funster No
MH
a class s550
Exp
20+
Not sure ... I will try to pay today's toll and let you know ... Mr nice traffic policeman said to follow those online instructions.. but as we can't get on the official aire here may well end tomorrow with a fine for parking in the non official parking lot ...we just missed the gnr at Armacao de Pera .. well we heard a knock on the door early am and hushily drove away without answering.. but the little van next to us had a ticket being written out alas and
they only arrived the eve prior ..as have a couple of other folk we met since

I know you have said that you were able to drive away,but do you have any more information?
Is armacao no longer available?
Did they fine anyone?
Thanks
I had arranged to meet someone there!!

Kath xx
As above!

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
Not sure ... I will try to pay today's toll and let you know ... Mr nice traffic policeman said to follow those online instructions.. but as we can't get on the official aire here may well end tomorrow with a fine for parking in the non official parking lot ...we just missed the gnr at Armacao de Pera .. well we heard a knock on the door early am and hushily drove away without answering.. but the little van next to us had a ticket being written out alas and they only arrived the eve prior ..as have a couple of other folk we met since

Kath xx

Were you in the car park beside the Holiday Inn, because that has been a no no area for motorhomes for many years. 1.50 in the football club car park is a safe bet as long as you do not put anything outside the van.

OP
OP
champers

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
Were you in the car park beside the Holiday Inn, because that has been a no no area for motorhomes for many years. 1.50 in the football club car park is a safe bet as long as you do not put anything outside the van.
No we were in the football club stadium , gnr have moved on folk from there a few times this year, it was mentioned that if a nr by site complains they have to act on it or if the no camping tolerated rule is broken they move you on ....

Kath

Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
'Have a few simple extra questions to this older thread.

Is there a map showing which roads are toll and which are free?

Reading about prepayment card, how does it work if you don't know where you will travel to and which roads you will use? Do the toll company refund anything you have overpaid?

Thanks

Also, are motorhomes all classed in a single class or is it as France depending on height and axles? Is there a website with toll regs in English?

We shall be in Portugal in about a week's time so have to get around to understanding the latest road systems.

Thanks again

Last edited:

Deleted User
'Have a few simple extra questions to this older thread.

Is there a map showing which roads are toll and which are free?

Reading about prepayment card, how does it work if you don't know where you will travel to and which roads you will use? Do the toll company refund anything you have overpaid?

Thanks

Also, are motorhomes all classed in a single class or is it as France depending on height and axles? Is there a website with toll regs in English?

We shall be in Portugal in about a week's time so have to get around to understanding the latest road systems.

Thanks again

If you click on the link in my previous post #6 to the Portal de Portagems all will be revealed.

The FAQ section is most helpful, motorhomes are class2 unless 3 axles, height is measured above front axle.

stephen78

Free Member
Mar 9, 2015
swansea
Funster No
MH
Pvc
Exp
since 2014
Sanef now do a tag for Portugal takes the stress out of worrying about tolls and credit cards

Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
Yes, the FAQ's are very good, thanks.

Is there an online map which highlights which are toll and non toll roads in Portugal?

Is there a general consensus if one payment type is better/simpler than another for a 3 or 4 week stay moving around quite a lot.

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
OK, spent a while reading the info on electronic tolls in Portugal, over complicated but that's how it is.

There appear to be 2 simple solutions for electronic tolls - Easytoll giving details of your credit/debit card and vehicle registration for payment to be taken directly from the card account, or a prepay Tollcard to one of 4 card values, how am I doing?

The Easytoll setup is valid for 30 days use, the Tollcard is valid for 1 year and can be topped up online or other places in Portugal. Both can be checked and detail altered online.

Easytoll can ONLY be bought at one of 4 motorway entry points into Portugal, the Tollcard can be bought at motorway locations, other locations plus online, although if you don't have a Portuguese address I'm not sure how you get the card sent to you.

For experienced users of Portugal tolls but who don't live in Portugal which is the easiest system to use.?

My thoughts are it would have to be Easytoll, but if you don't enter the country at one of the 4 Easytoll locations you have to go out of your way to use that part of the motorway system that allows you to sigh-up for 30 days use. Have I missed something?

Thanks

Deleted User
OK, spent a while reading the info on electronic tolls in Portugal, over complicated but that's how it is.

There appear to be 2 simple solutions for electronic tolls - Easytoll giving details of your credit/debit card and vehicle registration for payment to be taken directly from the card account, or a prepay Tollcard to one of 4 card values, how am I doing?

The Easytoll setup is valid for 30 days use, the Tollcard is valid for 1 year and can be topped up online or other places in Portugal. Both can be checked and detail altered online.

Easytoll can ONLY be bought at one of 4 motorway entry points into Portugal, the Tollcard can be bought at motorway locations, other locations plus online, although if you don't have a Portuguese address I'm not sure how you get the card sent to you.

For experienced users of Portugal tolls but who don't live in Portugal which is the easiest system to use.?

My thoughts are it would have to be Easytoll, but if you don't enter the country at one of the 4 Easytoll locations you have to go out of your way to use that part of the motorway system that allows you to sigh-up for 30 days use. Have I missed something?

Thanks

Well done 10/10:)

The easy toll system is definitely the easiest if you are entering at one of the automatic registration points.

If not then the Tollcard bought online prior to entering Portugal is also fairly simple, I have used both in the past but now have the Via Verde Leve transponder but this requires a Portuguese bank account.

The Tollcard can be bought online through the Portal de Portagems links or direct via this link

http://www.tollcard.pt/fetcwcm/wcmservlet/en/home/index.html

or this

http://www.tollcard.pt/fetcwcm/wcmservlet/en/comprar/comprar-online.html

which is straight to the purchase page.

Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
matamoros, is the Tollcard a physical card? (similar to the ones you pick up at a French toll booth) and if so does it have to be delivered, or is it a receipt that you print at home?

Read that some motorways are only electronic tolls and some are manual with booths, again are the manual motorways like the French ones where you have 2 or 3 options as to which channel to use? For example a channel for cash and card only, another for electronic only and sometimes a channel where all types of payment are accepted.

Think the question is, do the Easytoll and Tollcard systems work on the manual motorways too or is the only method of payment on them to pay manually?

Couldn't have got here without you Matamoros, very big thank you indeed.

Deleted User
matamoros, is the Tollcard a physical card? (similar to the ones you pick up at a French toll booth) and if so does it have to be delivered, or is it a receipt that you print at home?

Read that some motorways are only electronic tolls and some are manual with booths, again are the manual motorways like the French ones where you have 2 or 3 options as to which channel to use? For example a channel for cash and card only, another for electronic only and sometimes a channel where all types of payment are accepted.

Think the question is, do the Easytoll and Tollcard systems work on the m anual motorways too or is the only method of payment on them to pay manually?

Couldn't have got here without you Matamoros, very big thank you indeed.

The tollcard and easytoll only work on the electronic motorways which all have signs before you enter them, the older toll roads have toll booths and the fast track drive through ones are for registered Portuguese vehicles or now the Sanef tag but I have no experience of these. Be aware that I have heard that the manual toll booths don't take non Portuguese credit cards so effectively cash only but this info is a few years old.

The tollcard when bought online is not a physical card, just register your details and pay, it says to print the receipt as proof but I have never bothered, as you said before it is possible to check balance online, there is also an admin charge of €0.32 for each journey no matter how short.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back