Free Member
Oct 30, 2010
Anywhere and everywhere
Funster No
MH
American A Class
Exp
Not Long Enough...!!
We do not use Toll Roads where ever we travel too, but unsure if our satnav will know of the new tollroads which have been changed in Portugal.

If we do get on one, what do we do.
Have heard of having to buy a card ect. Also if you do not you just ignor the road as they do not bother if its not a Portugul number plate. But if stopped on one of these roads you get fined.

Can anyone who has been there recently please update with what should or should not be done..

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
When driving in Portugal I set my sat nav to avoid all motorways...

I found I were in a foreign vehicle and wandered by mistake onto an electronic toll road I would get off ASAP but do nothing...

Your chances of being stopped here by the highway police are very slim!

JJ :Cool:

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
If the filth see you, don't stop

You'll never take me alive copper.

13.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
We travelled in Portugal the last 2 years and occasionally ended up on toll roads by accident.
We went to the office after a few days to try and pay for the toll roads but it proved to be virtually impossible for a foreigner to pay and we gave up. We were warned that if we had used toll roads and not paid we would receive a 100 euro fine through the post as there is an agreement between UK and Portugal.:Eeek:

Well we're still waiting. :thumb:

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
Several threads here and there have been posted by people living in and around Portugal and I still cannot understand what is going on.
Some say the system has gone bankrupt... I don't know. Others claim to ignore everything to do with charges on Portuguese toll roads.
I have not seen many Portuguese using them which could mean that they expect to be fined.
If anybody here has been fined, or received a letter, PLEASE poste it on here so that we can all know what is going on.:winky:

Alan

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
We travelled onto the toll road in PT to get to Spain. As we were leaving PT we were stopped, by the police, and made to pull into a very large lay by. It was for a survey, by the Portuguese.
They checked our passports, and then asked if we would mind taking part in a survey.
The questions were about;
How long in PT?
Where have you stayed, campsites/wilding etc?
How much have you spent in PT on clothes, restaurants, fuel, etc, etc.

HAVE YOU PAID FOR TOLLS ON ANY MOTORWAYS? I said no, i haven't. The lady said, "No, not many do"!

Very polite and courteous, and we were sent on our way.

Craig

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Deleted User
If you want to stay legal read this http://www.portugaltolls.pt/en/web/...s;jsessionid=4AB9EB7358E13E7019B24985A87CDC28

It is not now possible to pay tolls retrospectively and proof of payment must be carried in the vehicle. As has been said the chances of being stopped are slim and I have not heard of anyone being tracked down in the UK, the choice is yours.

Depending on where you enter Portugal there may be an 'Easytoll' machine which will associate a credit card with your number plate and issue you with a receipt.I did this in December and have not been billed, I think this part of the system is not working but as long as you have the receipt you should be covered.

Motorhomes are class2 (more than 1.1m measured over 1st axle)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back