Portugal, January (7 Viewers)

Jul 17, 2009
Funster No
Thinking of taking off to sunnier climes in the dull winter, what kind of weather might we expect in Portugal in January ? obviously it's not likely to be roasting but is it worth the long drive down ?

Deleted User
If the weather is the main consideration then the East coast of Spain has more consistent sun.

We spend 6 months near Tavira in the Eastern Algarve and the weather can be mixed, a bit like Summers in the UK:)

Eastern Algarve probably less rain than the West, if the sun is out it is possible to sunbathe out of the wind.

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
We went to the Algarve area in mid Feb 2014 for 2 weeks & had mainly wall to wall sun & easily warm enough to sunbathe.

( Past weather conditions are no indication of future one's tho' ) :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Norman Jones

Free Member
Jan 13, 2015
Nr Aberystwyth
Funster No
MH
A class, Hymer 620 mli
Exp
since 1982
We honestly have not seen a cloud since Vouvray on 4 January.
Cold at night but hey!
18 Jan Alcacer do Sal...so far so good, it's gotta change soon.

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
Today it is cold max forecast is 12 degrees and overnghts of 4. This is forecast to last till Saturday and is the subject of an extreme cold weather warning. Mind you up to Tuesday it was great not a cloud and high teens, and it should be back to that next week. We may get some rain but usually just a day or two from now on and it tends to be a lot over a short time rather than days of drizzle.

Dec 15, 2011
Southwest Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Adria
Exp
Since 1996
Even colder east of you, in Murcia region Spain. Snow yesterday, 2 degrees daytime. Rain and wind today, 5 degrees. As someone has already said, "past performance is no guarantee of ....." wall to wall sunshine. But hopefully it will be back by the weekend.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
The Murcia region is the place to be Jan-March. It is drier and warmer. This is the main reason so many overwinter in Benidorm. Problem for Portugal at this time of the year is it's proximity to the Atlantic ocean which results in frequent wet weather. Google it !

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
If you are an "off-site" motorhomer, I think you should keep well away from the Algarve and nearby areas for the next month or so... it is freezing cold, it rains practically all the time and the GNR move you on (after fining you) at least four times a week... :whistle:

JJ :cool:

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
If you are an "off-site" motorhomer, I think you should keep well away from the Algarve and nearby areas for the next month or so... it is freezing cold, it rains practically all the time and the GNR move you on (after fining you) at least four times a week... :whistle:

What about me coming? flying+hotel+restaurants, treats or is that too much ? No Algarve for me? I really really need a break ! :):cool:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
What about me coming? flying+hotel+restaurants, treats or is that too much ? No Algarve for me? I really really need a break ! :):cool:

My post only refers to freeloading motorhome vagrants, my Princess.

Not to posh, hotel dwelling, VIP Royalty...

It is always hot and sunny in the rich folk's world.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Oh Phewwww... I nearly forgot about the idea!:sneaky: While now ...looking for the right flight... well as soon as I got rid of all the little devils messing my living room up!:eek::D2(y)
Just got back last night from 10 days in algarve, as someone else said not seen a cloud, we have stayed in the sol e mar, in old town albufauera , right over the tunnel to the sea, all rooms face the sea with a balcony and you can walk straight onto the beach, we had b&b and the breakfasts although not gourmet were excellent buffet, eat as much as you like , we paid 30 euros a night double room , that's for two not each, great!

Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Just got back last night from 10 days in algarve, as someone else said not seen a cloud, we have stayed in the sol e mar, in old town albufauera , right over the tunnel to the sea, all rooms face the sea with a balcony and you can walk straight onto the beach, we had b&b and the breakfasts although not gourmet were excellent buffet, eat as much as you like , we paid 30 euros a night double room , that's for two not each, great!
Oh wahooo goodie .. sounds nice and my type ... err.... tell me ... wifi in bedrooms?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138

No problem JJ .... I hear there's a nice site in inland which the owner of will let funsters stay on indefinitely if they supply him with certain tinned 'vegetarian' pies ....(y)

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Frankie,
You need entertainment in your bedroom???

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Not if they have been crossed off my Christmas Card list...

... you mean you actually HAVE a Christmas card list!!! I thought you were tighter thriftier than that! :rolleyes:

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
Well just seen the snow in the costas this lunch time. The nearest we get to snow here is the almond blossom which is starting to come out now

Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Frankie,
You need entertainment in your bedroom???

LOL ... Not really Dear ! But I will need to have news from my dad via Skype to be able to enjoy each minute ... AND Tuesday ..it's footy day , if I recall properly. I certainly do not want to leave JJ without the Match of the day highlights! NO....not the whole match, ok? Just checked the date of THAT tuesday and it seems there's some more important thing to celebrate!;):D

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back