LIFE MEMBER
Oct 10, 2011
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
old A class
Exp
since 2011
At last we are getting away from the Yorkshire winter and heading south.

The van went in for a bit of work on Dec 14th to rectify a few issues. I was aware before I bought it that the van had no synchromesh on third gear. Unfortunately I never did master the art of double de-clutching and laterly I lost synchromesh on second gear and was struggling with first. Not a problem on the flat but slowing down to almost a stop, negotiating a roundabout and exiting up-hill was a right twat.
I also asked for the suspension to be checked out as the van rocked like buggery on every showground we visited last year. So what with gearbox, new springs, new tyres and other odds and sods I now also have a huge hole in my pocket. Let's just get away from the damp and hit the sun.

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
hi
not so much sun in the Algarve at the moment--------but it is forecast to be around next week--------where are you heading to??------it would be great to meet up

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Malcolm Bolt

Malcolm Bolt

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 10, 2011
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
old A class
Exp
since 2011
Our thoughts at the moment are get to Portugal by way of Benidorm but as always that is flexible. We were still on the A64 in the crap weather in the dark two nights ago looking for a pull in to check out a new noise. 'Were the wheel nuts tight?' A saw a sign for sefvices and turned off. Oops not an exit lane at all, not even a layby. I had turned off at speed into a bloody bus-stop. Now bus-stops aren't very long and the footpath at the end of it wasn't very wide. Result belly down in the ruts provided by the last poor sod with a similar idea. Two hours later and we spent our first night of the trip in a pull in close by a Mac Ds. Surely things will get better.

alfandM

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
sweden
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Glad you got soughted Malcolm,so now have enjoyable Travels and a great new year to you Both,Best Regards Alf and Marianne(y)

OP
OP
Malcolm Bolt

Malcolm Bolt

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 10, 2011
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
old A class
Exp
since 2011
Yesterday saw an uneventful drive down to Poole. A stroll into the old town took us to into a warm looking bar. Still early so I was not surprised there were no other customers. It was warm, we ordered, took our seats, and took a swallow. Now the place may have had a much better atmosphere when the open mike session started later but the flys buzzing round my head did not pusuade me to stay and our next drink was in Weatherspoons. Unusually this place was in need of a substantial refurb and we waiked back to the van for our evening meal. The port is a great stopover with fresh water, loos, shower and cassette dump.

OP
OP
Malcolm Bolt

Malcolm Bolt

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 10, 2011
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
old A class
Exp
since 2011
Things are definitely on the up. Food on board is good. Just had an early lunch that was not too expensive. Paid in Sterling. Exchange rate €1 = 65p. Heading towards Fougères for an overnight then probably crack on south tomorrow.

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
After a few weeks in Spain we'd really like to get back to Portugal, but the Weather App on my phone won't let us.

Posted from a blistering hot Espania.

tongue-out-smiley.png

Lolol

Kath X

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hello Mr. & Mrs Bolt, good to hear your on the road again all be it with a lighter wallet, find the sun keep us posted, (y) x

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
Things are definitely on the up. Food on board is good. Just had an early lunch that was not too expensive. Paid in Sterling. Exchange rate €1 = 65p. Heading towards Fougères for an overnight then probably crack on south tomorrow.
Not far from us then.
There's a reasonable, for France, Indian restaurant in Fougeres, if you like that sort of meal. It's halfway down the hill opposite the Chateau

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
You need a different weather app, O Blessed Leader.

JJ :cool:

It predicts the weather in Spain very well, as it did when in Portugal.:) As it happens We would love to be back in Portugal, the natives are so much nicer, but ........the weather this past month!!!! We'd sit there wishing we were in Wales ;) Sun has just gone down here, giving me some blessed relief and I can now see my computer screen without it being in a box and I'm looking forward to Siân administering the aftersun lotion :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Malcolm Bolt

Malcolm Bolt

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 10, 2011
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
old A class
Exp
since 2011
Not far from us then.
There's a reasonable, for France, Indian restaurant in Fougeres, if you like that sort of meal. It's halfway down the hill opposite the Chateau

Thanks for that. Unfortunately due to our recent outgoings we are likely to be eating back at the van tonight.

Currently holed up in bar 'le Glacier' the ground is wet but it isn't cold. The beer is cold and a bit cheaper than the rosé. Not sure if the new chest fridge/freezer in the boot was my best idea. Not yet sure how long I (batteries) will last without recharging. At present I intend to drive each day until the sun starts to help out or we get a couple of buckets of electricity.

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
Looks like Portugal is going to be pretty busy this year.
We, and 2 sets of friends from the UK, will be heading that way at the end of the month, may be we'll bump into some of you en-route

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Have a great trip mr and Mrs Bolt. We are currently sat at Portsmouth waiting to board the ferry to Santander. It's still raining in Blighty so we can't wait to get down to Morocco for some good reliable sun.

Bon Voyage...Wishing you a smooth crossing guys (y)

OP
OP
Malcolm Bolt

Malcolm Bolt

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 10, 2011
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
old A class
Exp
since 2011
Hi there going same way on 5feb can you tell me what time can you park at Poole port ? Have a safe tip.[/QUOTE

As there are no locked dock gates you can arrive when you like. We got there at 5pm and the place was deserted. We parked up against the back of the building at the far side of the queuing lanes (possibly lane 34) When we closed up for the night there were only three more and no more arrived overnight.

OP
OP
Malcolm Bolt

Malcolm Bolt

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 10, 2011
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
old A class
Exp
since 2011
Have a great trip mr and Mrs Bolt. We are currently sat at Portsmouth waiting to board the ferry to Santander. It's still raining in Blighty so we can't wait to get down to Morocco for some good reliable sun.

Are you just tramping through to get the Tangier Med. Ferry or having a gentle saunter through Spain

hi
not so much sun in the Algarve at the moment--------but it is forecast to be around next week--------where are you heading to??------it would be great to meet up

We will mosy across from Castro Marim to Portimao and whenever we get there it will be feet up for a while. Thinking of having it as a base but going away to places on the Atlantic Coast or baragems if weather allows. I like to get a decent tan but also a bit of quiet time.
We would both really enjoy meeting up if you are still about.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Malcolm Bolt

Malcolm Bolt

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 10, 2011
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
old A class
Exp
since 2011
Glad you got soughted Malcolm,so now have enjoyable Travels and a great new year to you Both,Best Regards Alf and Marianne(y)

Hi Alf thanks for the good wishes and all the best to both of you. Have you given much thought to that trip east you were telling me about. I cannot get it out of my mind. I don't want it out of my mind, I want to do it. Cathryn is not at all keen but perhaps she could fly out to meet me along the route.

OP
OP
Malcolm Bolt

Malcolm Bolt

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 10, 2011
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
old A class
Exp
since 2011
Thanks for that Malcolm might catch you up going to Beni then across to Portugal very slowly take care.

Should have mentioned that the authority request that you pay £5 at the cafe before leaving. We did, it was worth it.
Last time we used it the lady in the cafe said that there are often half a dozen vans parked when they arrive but most leave without paying.
I think this £5 fee my just be an official charge to discourage the area being taken over by large groups for long periods rather than genuine passengers. I have no evidence for this and I suppose it is up to the individual whether they pay this relatively small amount or take the piss. I travel with a Fun sticker and pay reasonable charges.

Ambilkate

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006
Thanks for that. Unfortunately due to our recent outgoings we are likely to be eating back at the van tonight.

Currently holed up in bar 'le Glacier' the ground is wet but it isn't cold. The beer is cold and a bit cheaper than the rosé. Not sure if the new chest fridge/freezer in the boot was my best idea. Not yet sure how long I (batteries) will last without recharging. At present I intend to drive each day until the sun starts to help out or we get a couple of buckets of electricity.

Hope the chest fridge/freezer does work out ok for you Malc x

Dazzlin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 31, 2012
La Marina, Costa Blanca.
Funster No
MH
1986 Hymer A Class
Exp
From 2013
Not far from us then.

Did that one a couple of years ago. Good meal but we had the place to ourselves.
Great town Fougeres.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back