Free Member
Jul 19, 2009
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Evening Funsters:welcomefunster:

We are considering crossing on the Postsmouth to Bilbao ferry in September. We usually use the tunnel and travel down to the South of France :france: and back up. We thought it might save some time and money. We wondered what experiences you might have had with this crossing. Is it likely to be an uncomfortable crossing? We are in a dilemma.:help:

:helptitanic:

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
I personaally prefer Plymouth to Santandar..

Bit shorter trip, nice sailing times and arrival, "Pont Avent" (Or similar name ) ship never had any problems with weather, ship has good stabalisers..

Not sure about costings,,,, I think it is a bit dearer from Portsmouth..

And as said my personel opinion...... I cannot stand Bilbao, seems a hassle getting out onto the open road,,, where by within 10 - 15 mins you can be on the main road out of Santandar heading South..

And a nice port to wait on your return, right in the middle of a lovely town, with bars shops etc just outside the port and across the road..

And being that bit further down the coast cuts a few miles off your trip..

But if you are doubling back to France I suppose Bilbao makes sense.

Horses for courses.. :thumb:

MicknPat

Free Member
Dec 16, 2007
Touring UK
Funster No
MH
39ft American A class RV
Exp
Since Oct 2007
We are currently in Spain having travelled from Portsmouth to Santander with no problems, friends of ours who came to Spain earlier and so left earlier travelled here from Plymouth to Santander again no problems.

For there return hearing that parking early for the ferry at Santander can be a problem chose to return from Bilbao to Portsmouth, they have since informed us never again, apparently the dock to ship ramp is at a severe angle and if you have a large rear over hang ( like most American RVs have :Blush:) the dock staff were having to place wood board to prevent grounding.

How this helps ?

Mick:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
:Blush:) the dock staff were having to place wood board to prevent grounding.

How this helps ?

Mick:thumb:
The wood is placed under the rear wheels before grounding occurs thereby easing the angle and preventing the grounding (I hope)

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
I travelled a few times with P&O who have now pulled out of that route. I think it is just Brittany Ferries left to Bilbao and Santander, or you can use the "land bridge" route with LD Ferries to France then St Nazaire to Gijon.

The crossing were ok, but you are a bit of a prisoner to their, food , coffee, and beer which was always expensive as you are captive customers.:cry:

Biscay can be notorious at any time of year, especially the swell. Even a well stabilised ship can move a lot in a swell of several metres. :Eeek:

I only used that route as I got free crossings. :thumb:
The prices are expensive in my opinion, and the LD route was a lot cheaper the direct Uk to Spain, when I priced it earlier this year.
Getting out of the port in Bilbao was no problem, 5 minutes up the hill and you are on the autorute to go East or West or back to the City Centre..

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Hi
We have done both of these the Bilboa is now better as its now one night out it was two, santander is a good exit to the motorway, not had any real trouble with the weather crossing but it can be bad in the Bay of Biscay so I have been told, a good deal more expensive but your a lot further down than dunkirk/calais so either port will do for this. Pete

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
Evening Funsters:welcomefunster:

We are considering crossing on the Postsmouth to Bilbao ferry in September. We usually use the tunnel and travel down to the South of France :france: and back up. We thought it might save some time and money. We wondered what experiences you might have had with this crossing. Is it likely to be an uncomfortable crossing? We are in a dilemma.:help:

:helptitanic:

My two penn'orth would be that if you are still intending on travelling to the South of France, it's still a long way to there from Bilbao, and if you are on the motorway, it's much less scenic compared with travelling down through France, if you are in any sort of hurry to get there.

On the other hand, if you have plenty of time, traversing the Pyrenees is very pleasant, but will take up a lot of time.

Just my opinion borne from experience at the end of the day, and I'm sure others may well disagree.

MicknPat

Free Member
Dec 16, 2007
Touring UK
Funster No
MH
39ft American A class RV
Exp
Since Oct 2007
MicknPat said:
apparently the dock to ship ramp is at a severe angle and if you have a large rear over hang ( like most American RVs have ) the dock staff were having to place wood board to prevent grounding.

The wood is placed under the rear wheels before grounding occurs thereby easing the angle and preventing the grounding (I hope)

Wasn't that what I said? :Doh:

Mick

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back