portable vs fixed solar panels (1 Viewer)

BigManStraker

Free Member
Feb 8, 2012
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie
I've recently bought a Euramobil 500 Sport, and me and my girlfriend are going off fulltiming around the UK and Europe for a year.

I was planning on staying at aires and wild camping a bit as well as visiting campsites and want to get some solar panels to keep the leisure battery topped up.

I'm currently debating getting either an 80 watt solar panel and fitting it to the roof with Silkaflex and spoiler mounts, or otherwise buying a portable 120 or 160 watt fold-out solar panel and just putting it outside aimed at the Sun for a few hours each day.

I can see pros and cons to both options, and I was just wondeing what other more experienced motorhomers do, and which option you'd recommend.

Are solar panels easy to fit to the motorhome roof yourself and link up to the leisure battery? Will Silkaflex hold a solar panel securely to the roof, even at 60 mph on a motorway? Has anyone ever had a solar panel stolen off their roof? And will I get a lot more electricity from an 80 watt roof mounted horizontal solar panel than from a 160 watt portable that I can aim directly at the Sun for a few hours each day?

Thanks, I'm sure you'll be able to point me in the right direction as to which option I should take

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
Where would you store the fold-out 160 watt panel(s) when not in use? That's a mighty big panel or two

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
You will get more out of a portable than fixed panel so long as you can move it round during the day. With our previous van we used a 50w portable but had an 80w panel fixed to our current one. 80w fixed is approx equivalent to 50w portable but more convenient as no storage on the move and no need to reposition.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I think you know the answer !! Fixed on the roof.
If your going to be travelling a lot and staying wild or on aires, will you really want to keep getting out a portable panel, positioning it and then sit all day to keep moving it to follow the sun. Imagine as well, you cant leave it out if you want to go walkabout ( soon be nicked).
Read up on some of the threads here on Fun, You can do a DIY 80w solar for sub £150.
Yes Sikaflex does hold and roadtested at 80 (cough).. 3 yeads since fitting and it's still keeping my battery topped and held down as firm as ever...

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Fixed on the roof.... More reasons than I can list but a big one.

With a standalone one you would need to stay with the van. You couldn't leave it and go for a wander around the place you are visiting. Chances are the only places you would feel secure to use it would be on sites where you probably have hookup anyway....

On the roof is fit and forget.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Absolutely agree. Fixed panel on the roof is difficult to nick and is out of sight. You can also fit bigger panels if you have room.
Portable panel may be more efficient, but you'd have to be there to guard it.:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back