Portable Pump for Tyres

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by OldAgeTravellers, Feb 12, 2016.

1. OldAgeTravellers

OldAgeTravellers Funster Life Member

Hi All,
    I am sure this must have been answered before but I do not have the data at the moment to search all the threads.
    I run on Camping Tyres which require 85psi cold but raise to 90psi while driving. I have a TyrePal fitted.
    Yesterday one of my tyres was showing low pressure at 75psi. I must have kurbed it or something and lost a bit of pressure because it was static at that. I am touring in Spain and called into a petrol station with a nice new looking air point and after pushing the button to my horror found it had let the tyre down to 70psi which was the maximum it could do even after I heard the compressor run. I drove reasonably slowly to the next place but same there. I tried my portable pump which has rarely been used as I have a compressor at home. It was supposed to be able to pump at 100psi but after half an hour it had raised the tyre 2psi and was almost melting. I eventually found a tyre place who let me use their air line and did the tyre ok.
    So, has anybody found a good portable compressor which will cope with 100psi, pump in reasonable time and not melt in the process. We are going to Peterborough so may find something there or maybe somebody has a link to one they have which they know does the job.
    Thanks for any help.
    Steve

2. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Robert Clark

Robert Clark Funster Life Member

• Useful Useful x 1
  4. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

Push bike track pump, designed to do well over 100 psi and doesn't even need power.

Martin

• Like Like x 4
  5. shawn&emma

shawn&emma Funster

6. DP_JAY

DP_JAY Funster Life Member

I have 2. The Ring RAC900 which I bought to use with my last van, & one in the fix&go kit that came with the Ducato X250. Have used both without any problems.

7. Allanm

Allanm Funster

We have a Ring RAC 900 too, pumps the rear tyres up to 5.5 bar with no problems. Only negative is with alloy wheels, the tyre valves are inset quite a bit and unscrewing the pressure hose can be awkward resulting in the loss of a bit of air. I always over inflate then check them with a gauge

8. OldAgeTravellers

Thanks @scotjimland , @Robert Clark & @funflair ,
    That looks the job, supposed to be stocked by Screwfix but they only do the RAC850 but will do a good search when I get home. Thanks Martin but a Motorhome tyre is about 100 times the size of a bike one and I really don't need that amount of exercise so will let the batteries take the strain I think.
    Steve

• Funny Funny x 2
  9. Badknee

Badknee Funster

I use one of these Steve, take it everywhere just in case 'cos you never know when your going to need it next. ;) :LOL: image.jpg

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Manic

Manic Funster

I use the smaller Ring RAC700, it does my tyre upto 4.5 bar with no trouble.

11. funflair

:LOL: It is good exercise for sure but will take a motorhome tyre from flat faster than the electric pumps and so much easier than messing about with wires especially if you already carry one for the bikes.

Martin

• Useful Useful x 1
  12. OldAgeTravellers

That's interesting Martin, can you find a link to what you are talking about please, bike pumps must have moved on a bit.
    Steve

• Like Like x 1
  13. OldAgeTravellers

Let me know where you are going to park a Peterborough please Paul so I can park as far away as possible. But I will bring a very long hook-up cable so I can plug in if needed.
    I think it will need to be the RAC900 @Manic because I need 6 bar+
    Steve

• Like Like x 2
  14. funflair

Just google track pump, my tyre guy races cars and all he ever takes to the track is a bike "track pump".

Martin

• Like Like x 1
  15. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

6 bar is 87 psi, but I agree it is good to have a bit of spare capacity in hand so as not to strain the pump. Hope the people who fitted your tyres used high pressure valves as the standard Schrader tyre valve is rated at 4.5 bar / 65 psi max.

16. OldAgeTravellers

Yes @JeanLuc I changed to metal valves some years ago after losing a tyre from a valve failure. My local tyre guy recons that here in the South of France, all Motorhomes should use them. After fitting the TyrePal and seeing how quickly the tyres increase pressure by 10% and over I agree with him.
    Steve

• Useful Useful x 1
  17. Peter A Forbes

Peter A Forbes Funster

That's the one we have, there is a socket on the side of the big trailer for it and we have a socket with flying leads and croc clips for the Discovery. Our son has a slightly smaller but very similar unit.

[​IMG]

Well worth the extra money, Paddock Spares and other Land Rover dealers sell them, and they can be found on ebay.

Peter

18. Freespirit1

Freespirit1 Read Only Funster

19. Chockswahay

Chockswahay Funster

Having just seen this thread resurrected I would add that you may well be surprised how effective bike 'track pumps' are :eek:

I carry one in the van for our Bromptons. A couple of times when I have needed to 'top up' the van tyres I tried the track pump and was very surprised at just how easy it was :eek::eek:

As @funflair says, a lot to be said for not having to mess around with wires etc (and quicker too) (y)

20. Stealaway

Stealaway Funster