Portable Jump Starter

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by MaureenD, Sep 4, 2008.

1. MaureenD

MaureenD Read Only Funster

Any one know of a good quality / reliable battery jump starter for our 2.7 engine. we keep our motorhome in storage and thought it would be a good idea to have one

2. Hayleylulu

Hayleylulu

we have a battery jump start its only a chep one got from makro and we have used meny times on cars and vans naver had any problems:thumb:

3. MaureenD

MaureenD Read Only Funster

Hi
    We just took one back to Makro it was the new one £59.00 +vat it would not start our motorhome and it was fully charged so we are looking for something better
    Maureen

4. Hayleylulu

Hayleylulu

had mine for a long time only cost £19 pounds and it starts are motorhome:Smile:

5. andyman

andyman Read Only Funster

You could always buy a spare battery and jump leads. I used to do this before you could buy cheap power packs.

Andy

6. American Dream

American Dream Read Only Funster

Always carry them on board.Just in case.:thumb:

Have 2 hefty batteries on-board, connected in parallel that I can use if required.

7. Hybrids

Hybrids Read Only Funster

The majority of Jumpacks only have a small standby battery (17ah) with no official cranking rating.
    They often quote an optomistic 900amp etc, this is a short circuit amperage if I remember correctly.
    Some heavy duty ones have Odyssey batteries fitted, that will crank very well, but designed for daily use by garages etc.

Another option is something the Emergency services use, basically what American Dream has said, all it does is, if required, you press a button on the dash and the batteries are connected in parallel to enable jump start.
    So you could have it connected with your Leisure battery/ies for emergencies.
    Ludo McGurk Transport Equipment Ltd. give Ludo a ring, say Gareth says hello.

Personaly I would probably be looking at a solar panel to keep it topped up, provided your storage place has some natural light assuming it's indoors

8. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

Solar panels were my choice, even work in a shed with good light.:thumb::thumb:

9. dazzer

dazzer Read Only Funster

Bought ours for £20ish in Argos starts the Concord 6.2ltr V10 no problem :thumb:

10. Road Runner

Road Runner Read Only Funster

The ones i have had have not lasted very long so invested in a long set of heavy duty jump leads.

11. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

Bought mine from Maplin for under £20. It has started several motorhomes though not mine (touch wood). It also has a pump on it for tyres and blowing up the airides and a 12v socket for anything you might want to plug in, a most useful item:Cool:. The current model from Maplin looks exactly the same but is 3 times the price:shout:. Mine has lasted several years, I think it is because I always charge it up whenever its used, as it is a lead/acid battery.

12. Hayleylulu

Hayleylulu

for got to say iv used mine to jump start the wife as well:Laughing::Laughing: