Free Member
Dec 16, 2007
Touring UK
Funster No
MH
39ft American A class RV
Exp
Since Oct 2007
Has anyone used or uses one of these portable gas heaters in their motor home?

Link Removed

Friends of ours are currently on a Spanish site that operates electric meters and as you know Spain can be quite cold at night during the winter.

As LPG is a lot cheaper than electric our friends have informed us that they and quite a number of the other campers have invested in a Spanish miniature version of the one pictured above.

Now it has been quite a few years since we last owned and used one of these heaters and we bought that second hand.

I still recall that it caused the windows to 'steam up' with condensation and there was a distinctive fumes smell when you first entered the room, but that may have been down to the unknown age of the one we bought.

My question to any user/owners have these heaters improved or do the windows still steam up and they smell?

ta Mick

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
not so long ago there was another thread on here posted by RR on the same topic ..

basically LPG produces a lot of moisture .. 7.98 pounds of water from a gallon of propane, that's a lot of wet windows and walls .. :Eeek:

if you want to use a portable LPG heater better with a catalytic type..

but what is wrong with using your hot air furnace .. your on EHU so the batteries won't go flat ?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
nowts changed......they will always steam up.

more to the point you will need a lot of ventilation for this type of heater.....not just for oxygen replenishment, but also to get rid of the poisonous CO gas.

i certainly wouldnt run one in a confined space like a motorhome and most definately not if i wasnt there to keep an eye on it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
MicknPat

MicknPat

Free Member
Dec 16, 2007
Touring UK
Funster No
MH
39ft American A class RV
Exp
Since Oct 2007
but what is wrong with using your hot air furnace .. your on EHU so the batteries won't go flat ?

The camp site cost doesn't include the EHU that's on a meter so charged separately.

Our friends are on LPG already for fridge/freezer, cooking and heating but when the blow air furnace is fired up it soon empties a 12.5 kg bottle of LPG.

They have only been down there a few weeks so to some extent they are taking the advice of others already there who have bought a Butsir LD-668 gas heater.

We hope to be joining them soon on the same site and are doing our own bit of home work on this type of heater.

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
I will go against the grain but
I also have one of these fires, yes you get condensation but they are ideal for instant heat on rising of a morning and for late evening just to warm everything for bedtime. At the end of the day they are the same as the fires in a static caravan all be it mobile rather than built in.I usually have the rooflight vents open as i have the maxvent covers over them, and the windows slightly cracked open(they are louvre style). They were deffinately needed last year what with the snow and power cuts in spain
As for rv furnace blown heat most campsites only offer 6amps in spain with just the occasional offering a higher rating. Over night i use a small plug in radiator just to keep the temp warmer than outside.

Have to say that when ever we use our van on waking of a morning the windows are full of condensation wether we have used heating or not the evening before and so have past vans we have had.

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Not sure on this one,,, 40 odd years ago when we tugged, we had what was called a "Ubique" which was a round cylinder type open fire that bolted on the wardrobe door,, used it for many years and came to no harm,,, always woke up to steamed up windows and soon after it was lit the windows steamed up.. :Smile:

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
....................a Butsir LD-668 gas heater.

Hi Mick, do you have any other details on this unit please cos I'm interested but a Google search has revealed nothing.

As a matter of interest, Ebay sometimes has deals on small Catalytic heaters which are a bit more sensibly sized for inside a motorhome.

I quite fancied one of these cos it's so small. I would have thought that 1 to 1.5 KW would be enough for Spain, even in an RV?

Link Removed

OP
OP
MicknPat

MicknPat

Free Member
Dec 16, 2007
Touring UK
Funster No
MH
39ft American A class RV
Exp
Since Oct 2007
Zaskar,

Must be something wrong with your Google I entered just Butsir LD-668 and got 21,100 hits using speech marks to narrow the search "Butsir LD-668".

These included videos on how to use the fire and the following first three.

http://www.icalor.es/butsir-ld-668-mini-estufa-catalitica-infrarrojos-camping-ld668/

http://www.ferrehogar.es/estufa-infrarrojos

Link Removed

These fires being smaller use a 907 Camping Gaz bottle, information via our friends is that they change the regulator on the end of the rubber gas pipe in order to use a large so cheaper bottle of butane which of course has to be kept outside of the fires casing.

Cost of this fire appears to be between €30 - €40 :thumb:

Mick

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
I will go against the grain but
I also have one of these fires, yes you get condensation but they are ideal for instant heat on rising of a morning and for late evening just to warm everything for bedtime. At the end of the day they are the same as the fires in a static caravan all be it mobile rather than built in.I usually have the rooflight vents open as i have the maxvent covers over them, and the windows slightly cracked open(they are louvre style). They were deffinately needed last year what with the snow and power cuts in spain
As for rv furnace blown heat most campsites only offer 6amps in spain with just the occasional offering a higher rating. Over night i use a small plug in radiator just to keep the temp warmer than outside.

Have to say that when ever we use our van on waking of a morning the windows are full of condensation wether we have used heating or not the evening before and so have past vans we have had.

Take care, you can also get mildew on your best evening gown, and once you have the smell of mildew in the MH its very difficult to get rid of it.

Doug...

OP
OP
MicknPat

MicknPat

Free Member
Dec 16, 2007
Touring UK
Funster No
MH
39ft American A class RV
Exp
Since Oct 2007
It must be a fine line to reduce condensation by opening roof vents and windows for the maximum amount of heat you can produce to keep the RV warm...........is it a vicious circle, more heat = more condensation= more ventilation = more heat :Wacko:

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Must admit this is the reason I have never used one of these heaters at home with lots of air and space to lose the condensation in, but to use in a confined space never in my opinion asking for problems.

Dave :thumb::thumb:

OP
OP
MicknPat

MicknPat

Free Member
Dec 16, 2007
Touring UK
Funster No
MH
39ft American A class RV
Exp
Since Oct 2007
Zaskar,

Just arrived at our site in Spain, well a few days ago and our first purchase from a local Ferretería was a Butsir gas fire at €40.

You have to also buy a length of rubber gas pipe 2m ideal and a bottle regulator.

Nights are still cold out here but the RV with the Butsir has been as warm as toast, Oh and NO smells or condensation but we do leave to roof vent slightly open :thumb::thumb:

Mick

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
nowts changed......they will always steam up.

more to the point you will need a lot of ventilation for this type of heater.....not just for oxygen replenishment, but also to get rid of the poisonous CO gas.

i certainly wouldnt run one in a confined space like a motorhome and most definately not if i wasnt there to keep an eye on it.

not so long ago there was another thread on here posted by RR on the same topic ..

basically LPG produces a lot of moisture .. 7.98 pounds of water from a gallon of propane, that's a lot of wet windows and walls ..

if you want to use a portable LPG heater better with a catalytic type..

Mick...what John and Jim has said I agree with and is totally correct, I would not advice anyone ever using one of those heaters.......I was a joiner builder before I retired and also had properties I let out.....tenants would use these as a cheap quick heating, instead of using the central heating provided.....it was the large bills they did not like to pay:Eeek:....it cost me a lot money putting the property back to right again after they had left:Doh::Angry:..and if you see the damage they do with the water condensation you would be amazed Black mould and mildew on walls and ceilings.....plus many people have had house fires just putting simple items to dry on top or near.....I do know our fire officer that we used to check out our rented properties always said they are a NO NO......plus to try and combat the condensation you would need all the doors and windows open so you have defeated the object .............

Mel

One person that lived very close to us had a holiday chalet at the coast he put some items just near the heater to dry, just took his eye off it for a minute or two........he was very badly burned and died in a week...very sad....this could happen with any heater...yes...but more so with gas flames

Mick and Pat keep warm and have a safe winter.....

Last edited:

pudseykeith

Free Member
Nov 5, 2007
Leeds West Riding of York
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
6 Years
Another point to consider is that when you are living with one of these non vented heaters is that you are living surrounded by damp air. As the moisture avaperate off the skin you feel chilled, so feeling that you need more heat.
PK

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back