Free Member
Feb 27, 2009
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
11 yrs
Is it possible to get a portable air con unit that is small enough to use in the van, with a low enough power requirement to use on ehu, but that is actually any good and not just an expensive fan that sounds like a generator!??

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
short answer is yes, probably ... but impractical for following reasons

* Floor space.. where will it sit.

* Exhaust vent requires a hole in the van.. could use an open window but would defeat the object.

* Domestic units have high start up current, would need to be on a 16A EHU, many sites abroad ( where it would be most useful) only have 6 or 10A supplies.

* Storage while traveling .. would require fixing securely or put in garage/locker

If you really really need air con I would advise to save up for a roof or under bench Dometic unit .. but they are around £1k + fitting.

OP
OP
errpaul

errpaul

Free Member
Feb 27, 2009
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
11 yrs
short answer is yes, probably ... but impractical for following reasons

* Floor space.. where will it sit.

* Exhaust vent requires a hole in the van.. could use an open window but would defeat the object.

* Domestic units have high start up current, would need to be on a 16A EHU, many sites abroad ( where it would be most useful) only have 6 or 10A supplies.

* Storage while traveling .. would require fixing securely or put in garage/locker

If you really really need air con I would advise to save up for a roof or under bench Dometic unit .. but they are around £1k + fitting.

Thank you

:Eeek:Thats a lota lota money:Eeek:

I had been told about ones that have a type of condenser so they don't need an exhaust??
I don't really know anything about them and have only seen the big domestic ones, which are far too big, about the size of a small tumble dryer!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back