porch awnings

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by freelanderuk, Oct 31, 2011.

1. freelanderuk

freelanderuk Read Only Funster

2. dellwood33

dellwood33 Read Only Funster

I have one of those Chris & I bought it specifically because it can be erected by one person. Bit of a bugger in the wind, but I can manage it. Doesn't take too long to put up and it provides much needed space for Barbara's wheelchair etc. Paid about £90 for mine :Smile:

3. freelanderuk

do you just thread into the fiammia awning groove ,how is it for head hight with the door on your van

Last edited: Oct 31, 2011
    • Like Like x 1
  4. dellwood33

dellwood33 Read Only Funster

Our door is not in a position to be under the awning, being positioned too far forward on the van.
    Mine fastens using a Kador strip threaded into the Omnistor awning on the van, Then a figure of eight strip fastens the Kador strip to the strip on the awning which would normally thread through the caravan rail. :Smile:

5. wivvy's dad

wivvy's dad Read Only Funster

Do you mean this sort of thing?

Attached Files:

6. freelanderuk

thats the sort of thing but would need one a bit higher looking at yours

7. Leltel

Leltel Funster

We have a Kampa Rally 260xl. Door clearance is good, and it slides straight into the omnistor. Double check your heights before buying though, I mismeasured, thinking I had to measure the height of the van, and we now have to fold under the first 30cms.....not easy!!:Eek!:

• Like Like x 1
  8. Ambilkate

Ambilkate Funster Life Member

We also have a kampa rally awning but have the exlarge one for the height and for motorhomes new design this year. wished we could have got away with a caravan one as price would have been a lot cheaper.

• Like Like x 1
  9. freelanderuk

thanks , more than what i want to pay as i all ready have a privacy room we use a lot , just want a cheep porch awning for the odd weekend to leave the boots and shoes in

10. mentaliss

mentaliss

This is what I'm researching at the moment, the use of a caravan porch awning to fit to the side of my Dethleffs... the problem is that most of these type's of awnings Kampa, Sunncamp, Vanco etc require a minimum height awning rail fixing of between 235-250cm...my van is a true low profile and the roof height
    from the ground is 265 and is fitted with a Fiamma F45S 4.0 which the top of the awning casing is flush with the roof, therefore once the depth of the awning is taken into consideration the minimum porch awning fix of 235 is not
    achievable however I think this can be sorted by using leveller's on all for wheels.
    anyone done this???

11. Neilfg

Neilfg Funster

We have a Fiamma F45S on our Adria Low Profile and a Vango Kela II Tall (the high one apparently fits 230-295), our top awning rail (of the 2) on the fiamma is 234cm to the ground, the Vango fits fine no issues with the height or it being too low, no water collects in the awning above the door it runs down to the sides of the awning and collects there but easy and not messy (practice make perfect) to empty if you want.

Only issue we have is as the Vango is attached to the awning it is pushed out by a few inches and you cannot get a tight fit against the side of the van. When you see it setup the gap looks bad but in practice it has not been an issue. Not using the driveaway fillet strip gives a slightly better fit and to be honest we have yet to drive away other than to try it out. Also found that we had to treat a couple of the tie backs outside the awning as they drew water inside and dripped!

12. mentaliss

mentaliss

Even though the Fiamma F45s is flush fitted to the MH roof, the 'Dethleffs Advantage' vehicle's Habitational body when measured from the ground is higher at the back than the front which again makes the problem of using a Caravan porch awning difficult.. Kampa now market the 'Motor Rally Air Pro' model, sizes are 260, 390 ( lengths) which would resolve the problem of the awning hanging too far from the body when using the Fiamma F45s bead groove however looking at these model's from Kampa it appears to me that this is a Hybrid of their caravan
    Rally Air Pro ( 260, 390) with the wall material made wider to allow the uprights to fit flush to the MH's body, even though the Kampa awnings are good quality the base depth of 2.5cm is in keeping with most other awnings of this type but the 'floor' in the design is the front panel's shape drops away too quickly thus the stand up height measured from the MH's wall to the inside of the awning's front panels are drastically reduced...these are my observations which will I hope guide me to the right type of awning purchase:cool:

13. Cal54

Cal54 Funster Life Member

Freely serum: why not just get an outhouse. Really cheap and up in no time. Granted not attached to the van but you could certainly peg it very close.

• Like Like x 1
  14. mentaliss

mentaliss

I forgot to mention that the Vanco KELA II is in fact a drive away type awning totally different to a Caravan porch awning:oops: