Popping our cherries!! (1 Viewer)

slbllr

Free Member
Jul 19, 2010
Funster No
Hi all,

The wife and I are seriously considering hiring a motorhome for the first 2 weeks in October to celebrate my 29th and more importantly my beloved wifes 30th birthday...!!

Can we ask for some hints/tips, schoolboy errors, must see, must do's and must dont's??!

We are based in Central Scotland, where should we go??? Its all sooooo exciting.

I have a feeling if our motorhome experience is special we may buy...!

Anyways, speak soon

Slbllr:Cool:

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Hi and welcome

Im sure you will have a fab time but be careful as you very well may end up buying one!

Two weeks is a short trip in a motorhome. If your prepared to have a big slog south then France is motorhome heaven with lots of free and safe Aires (motorhome only) parking spots in villages and towns. However you have lots and lots of wonderful Islands and country on your doorstep. Over the years I have done most of the main Scottish Islands and the vary quite a lot. My favourite is Arran but Sheltand is so wild and interesting.

You could do a UK tour, work your way south as far as the south coast and back again.

Wild camping or (free camping) is easier in the North and in Scotland but at that time of year you should find some good spots and cheap campsites.

Generally the two of us in our van can go 4 days before we need to fill up with water and get rid of waste.

Good luck with your adventure!

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi guys and welcome to the fun.....

hiring for a short time is a very wise choice.

it'll give you some idea if its the life for you before spending a fortune on a van.

please dont expect to live as you do at home.
unless you visit sites with electric hookup then battery power is a major concern and really needs to be used frugaly...the hire van will probably only have one battery ! some members here have 3, 4 or 5 batteries, i have 3 and sometimes stuggle if parked for 3 or 4 days without hookup.

water shouldnt be a problem as you may have 80ltrs on board but the boiler will only hold around 10ltrs so no long showers :Sad:

for an average sized european motorhome budget on 25mpg.

as for places to go......you're already there.
Scotland is THE place to be with a motorhome...except france of course....so just go where you please.
the adventure is getting there, not the destination:thumb:

if you have problems working anything on the van just ask another motorhomer on campsite and in most cases they will gladly help and advise, after all we all have a common interest.

most of all.....Enjoy !!!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Do so agree with what's been said you live in the best place for a motorhome holiday in this country. We travel up to your area on a regular basis just to enjoy the wonderful scenery, and its on your doorstep, so why spend £ss on fuel just enjoy Scotland.

Hope all goes well, but as said watch out motorhoming can seriously damage your wealth.

Nearly forgot Welcome to MH Fun.

Dave :thumb::thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
Having 'done' Scotland this year I'd say same as above, esspecialy for your first time out just take off and see where you end up:thumb:

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Hi

If I were to hire a mh for two weeks I'd do a fly drive too the states. You can do a deal whereby you pay for your flights and mh hire all in one. (It costs a few bob)

Its the best mh country in the world, bar none.

Jim
:Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back