OddSocks

Free Member
Apr 10, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I was expecting better. Not millions but just better than this!

1990 Mercedes 208D 2.3l - 21.8 MPG for the last few tanks.

I have been trying to drive sensibly! Not going over 60mph. OK, lots of hills in Devon and Cornwall need 3rd or even 2nd gear at times...... but seriously! Under 22 MPG?

Am I expecting too much, or does this sound a little low to you?

BTW - I tried the premium fuel. Made no difference. Felt like a I had a bit more power, but the exact same MPG I got with standard diesel.

ETA: There is an after market turbo and inter cooler in it - could that be the culprit?

Last edited:

Les

Apr 18, 2008
Seaford
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2005
I had 208d non Turbo go any where "SLOWLY" up hills 25mpg

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
my 508d only managed 17mpg I'd guess 22mpg about right for an older Merc. My sprinter based Merc does 24mpg, your van is lighter so maybe you should be getting a bit more but not a lot.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I was expecting better. Not millions but just better than this!

1990 Mercedes 208D 2.3l - 21.8 MPG for the last few tanks.

I have been trying to drive sensibly! Not going over 60mph. OK, lots of hills in Devon and Cornwall need 3rd or even 2nd gear at times...... but seriously! Under 22 MPG?

Am I expecting too much, or does this sound a little low to you?

BTW - I tried the premium fuel. Made no difference. Felt like a I had a bit more power, but the exact same MPG I got with standard diesel.

ETA: There is an after market turbo and inter cooler in it - could that be the culprit?

Sounds right to me. Mine gets 10mpg (on propane). That makes it about the same cost to run per mile as yours.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
22 mpg Sounds about right to me :thumb: you won't find many vans doing much more than 25 mpg with a big bump on there heads :winky: The turbo will help increase the mpg simply with the increase in torque IE not having to change gears as much and being able to leave it in the higher gear for longer
terry

longdog

Banned
Apr 16, 2013
Funster No
I had an '56 plate CI Cipro 55 on a Mercedes Sprinter base with the Sprintshift 'box. Driving like a nun I was averaging 20mpg worked out on mileage and reading at the pumps.

Now I have an '09 Ace Adventurer 635EK with a FIAT 130 multi jet motor. I am averaging just over 25mpg or 25.2mpg if you want to be pedantic. Ironic when you consider the Ace has a Luton body too.

My old Hymer Swing with a FIAT 2.8jtd was more economical than the Merc and the Hymer had a Luton body too.

I think the Merc is just plain thirsty to be honest.

OP
OP
OddSocks

OddSocks

Free Member
Apr 10, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Thank you everyone. Being new to all this I just don't know what to expect.

I will keep tinkering with different fuels and additives and see if we can't tweak another couple of m's per g! :)

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's

I will keep tinkering with different fuels and additives and see if we can't tweak another couple of m's per g! :)
maybe take it for a tune up that may help get you another 2/3 mls PG
maybe the pump is running to rich get soume one to have a look

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)

::bigsmile: slow down to 50 mph that will give you a couple more mpg :Smile:or do some free wheeling down those big Cornish hills ::bigsmile:
terry

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
It`s a wind problem--

Last year i drove 65 miles down the M5 in a 45 mph headwind and averaged 10MPG--foot on the floor :Eeek:

On the return journey x2 days later ,the wind was still there ,45 +mph tailwind and averaged almost 35 MPG

A motor home has a slipstream coefficient value the same as a side of a warehouse.

It hurts when you travel to a site in a headwind ,then have a headwind on return :cry:

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Had the van version of this, didn't do any more mpg than yours and you've got a bigger body on yours

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

tweak away....but you wont get it.

All this rubbish about super duper fuels is just that....rubbish.

All they have is more additives to burn cleaner and increased cetane.

How Does Cetane Number Affect Engine Performance?

Just as there is no benefit to using gasoline with an octane rating higher than recommended for a specific engine by its manufacturer[HI], using diesel fuel with a higher cetane rating than is required for a particular diesel engine design yields no bonuses[/HI]. Cetane number requirements depend mainly on engine design, size, speed of operation and load variations--and to a slightly lesser extent, atmospheric conditions. Conversely, running a diesel engine on fuel with a lower than recommended cetane number can result in rough operation (noise and vibration), low power output, excessive deposits and wear, and hard starting.

Regular diesel has a cetane number of 48....premium is 55.
Your engine was not designed for premium diesel......and was probably built before premium diesel was thought of.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Greetings,

I've not tried this with the 'van yet (Hobby 650 2.8 Fiat lump) as it's all too new (getting 27+ at the mo!!!)
But,
when I was tugging I put in 250ml of 2 stroke oil in a tank of 70Lts of an Audi 2.5 Tdi. I swore it made it run better. One things certain, the 2 stroke won't hurt it. Give it a try. The Audi has 165000 on the clock and is as sweet as.

Regards

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
I have a 3litre manual Hobby and drive at 60 - 65 mph using cruise as much as possible,I get between 18 and 23 acording to the wind speed & direction, if the 200l water tanks full or if I have my trailer on, the variable's are endless, I have give up checking it now :Doh:

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
tweak away....but you wont get it.

All this rubbish about super duper fuels is just that....rubbish.

All they have is more additives to burn cleaner and increased cetane.

How Does Cetane Number Affect Engine Performance?

Just as there is no benefit to using gasoline with an octane rating higher than recommended for a specific engine by its manufacturer[HI], using diesel fuel with a higher cetane rating than is required for a particular diesel engine design yields no bonuses[/HI]. Cetane number requirements depend mainly on engine design, size, speed of operation and load variations--and to a slightly lesser extent, atmospheric conditions. Conversely, running a diesel engine on fuel with a lower than recommended cetane number can result in rough operation (noise and vibration), low power output, excessive deposits and wear, and hard starting.

Regular diesel has a cetane number of 48....premium is 55.
Your engine was not designed for premium diesel......and was probably built before premium diesel was thought of.

I remember a couple of posts back the OP was given guidance on chip fat :Blush:

I believe that fuel efficiency is something that has to be put to one side when owning and driving a coach built or a-class MH.

Perhaps a day van or larger van conversion gives better MPG?

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
Greetings,

I've not tried this with the 'van yet (Hobby 650 2.8 Fiat lump) as it's all too new (getting 27+ at the mo!!!)
But,
when I was tugging I put in 250ml of 2 stroke oil in a tank of 70Lts of an Audi 2.5 Tdi. I swore it made it run better. One things certain, the 2 stroke won't hurt it. Give it a try. The Audi has 165000 on the clock and is as sweet as.

Regards

I put 2 stroke oil in my sprinter-based Autotrail, haven't actually checked mpg yet but recentlly done348 miles (full tank) and still have 1/4 tank left. We are away next Sunday so will fill-up and check mpg then. Ireckon on 20+. Thats with sprintshift g/box and using cruise as much as poss.
I also think the engine seems to run smoother and quieter too, got the tip via a Land Rover forum a while back. In a test (in the US I think) they compared loads of additives and 2st gave about 7percent increase in mpg, others did nothing and a few were better, unfortunately I can't remember the best performing ones!

Cheers, Dave:thumb:

ps, thats with a toad too

Last edited:

Portland

Free Member
Oct 31, 2013
Conwy
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
20 years
Hi, I ran these Mercs as luton delivery vans and they returned 15/17 mpg local deliveries and 18/20 on long runs. I took them to various tuners but to no effect. Don't waste money on Premium fuel it will make no difference. :thumb:

lee52

Free Member
Oct 13, 2013
tyne and wear
Funster No
MH
selfbuild
Exp
I dont even want to think what MPG I will get with a 26yr old 6.7 cummins with a 6ton brick for aerodynamics

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I dont even want to think what MPG I will get with a 26yr old 6.7 cummins with a 6ton brick for aerodynamics

I can tell you.. about 12 mpg :roflmto:

I had the 5.9lt Cummins in my RV pushing 8.5tons , it did about 12 mpg .. maybe 14 on a good day downhill with a tail wind .. :Smile:

I stopped working it out, too depressing .. just fill it up, 70 gals worth and enjoy the drive.

lee52

Free Member
Oct 13, 2013
tyne and wear
Funster No
MH
selfbuild
Exp

I had the 5.9lt Cummins in my RV pushing 8.5tons , it did about 12 mpg .. maybe 14 on a good day downhill with a tail wind .. :Smile:

I stopped working it out, too depressing .. just fill it up, 70 gals worth and enjoy the drive.
the cummins have cracking exhaust note

lee52

Free Member
Oct 13, 2013
tyne and wear
Funster No
MH
selfbuild
Exp

you never know I might get more mpg less weight and the bigger engine wont really be working

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
the cummins have cracking exhaust note

don't they just.. :thumb:

I used to love driving through tunnels.. the Dartford tunnel was ace .. drive with the window open just to hear the rumble that only a Cummin six has .. I do miss the old girl..

Morocco , Sahara .. can you guess what flag is flying from the aerial ?

DSC_1711.jpg

DSC_1718.jpg

Last edited:

Les

Apr 18, 2008
Seaford
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2005
I have Cipro 55 on 2002 Merc 316 3500miles round Spain motorway and non motorway 25 / 26 to gallon

lee52

Free Member
Oct 13, 2013
tyne and wear
Funster No
MH
selfbuild
Exp
don't they just.. :thumb:

I used to love driving through tunnels.. the Dartford tunnel was ace .. drive with the window open just to hear the rumble that only a Cummin six has .. I do miss the old girl..

Morocco , Sahara .. can you guess what flag is flying from the aerial ?

DSC_1711.jpg

DSC_1718.jpg
love the pictures awesome

OP
OP
OddSocks

OddSocks

Free Member
Apr 10, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Too many peeps to thank individually, so :thumb::thumb::thumb: to all.

What I can take from this thread:

It aint runnin too bad at 22mpg! :Smile:
No point wasting any more cash on premium fuel.
It was well worth running that RedX through a couple of weeks ago. (This is probably why it seems to be running better on the premium, it is clean now!)
You guys are great! :thumb:

Probably not worth trying this then? Broken Link Removed

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Probably not. Two stroke does work to an extent though. I use it on my Discovery, just around a third of a litre to a tankful, gives about a 3mpg improvement.. The theory is that it replaces some of the lubrication lost because all the diesel now is low sulphur. The Discovery forum reckons it will keep your turbo and particulate filter (if present) cleaner also and tends to reduce emissions.

edit make sure it is mineral (not semi or synthetic) oil though. I usually use the Tesco one.

Last edited:

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Our Merc Sprinter La Strada 312D P plate Auto has returned 28mpg when on long runs (averaging around 60 mph) and down to 21mpg when in the Highlands and Islands of Scotland with lots of hills and short journeys.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
basic maintenance is the key to running an old diesel efficiently. that and the occasonal use of a dose of 2stroke to help with lubrication. to save money use a few litres of vegetable oil to bulk the diesel out at a much cheaper cost

no way are you going to see better mpg figures that will be noticeable. people have wasted a lot of money chasing that goal before

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back