Poor Hymer support, lucky it is only the clock

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by DavidG58, Sep 2, 2015.

1. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

Now I know there are much bigger things worthy of moaning about, but this was more of a minor annoyance, until I tried to mend it, now I am finding the customer service rather disappointing

Some time ago the clock in our Hymer S class stopped working, almost certainly only the 99p quartz mechanics on the back, but as I found out when you remove that the hands fall off and are captive inside the stuck on plastic front

So, try and find a new clock, asked Hambiltons at last service, they never got back to me, so eBay, Brownhills are selling some as part of their Hymer parts clear out, ordered, supplied, doesn't fit. Got an email from Brownhills to say it wont fit, Hymer have sent them the wrong clocks, returned for full credit (nice one Brownhills) I was going to write it off (£20)

Rang Lowdhams being my nearest Hymer agent, special order, needs to be prepaid £30, when arrived got exactly the same 'wrong' one that Brownhills had sent, wrapped in a Hymer bag with Hymer part number on though

So, emailed Lowdhams, they emailed Hymer, Hymer say it does fit, I know and repeat 'no it doesnt'. The lettering is also a totally different style to the adjacent dials, but I could live with that. In reality I doubt I ever look at the damn clock, but I do like things to work if fitted

Hymer repeat their claim that it does fit, and implying I should be grateful they have found an alternative, some of that may have been lost in translation but it is how it reads in their reply to Lowdhams

Sent: 28 August 2015 07:28
    To: Parts Counter
    Subject: WG: Hymer Parts 42081014

Hi Wayne,

Unfortunately the original clock isn’t available anymore at all.

We have searched a lot to find any replacement. We were lucky to find a clock which matches to the original part, though unfortunately there is no “HYMER” anymore.

But we accept this lack in design in order to be able to deliver a clock at all.

I’m afraid!

They did offer an alternative but when I read the spec it was 60mm dia mine is 100mm, they have had my serial number, so frustrating, made worse by looking in another funsters S class recently, 2013 registered I think, but still fitted with the same clock. I thought suppliers were obliged to keep spares for a few years

As I started I know it only a clock, but thank goodness it is, I am going to find a new quartz workings and live without the plastic front

Lowdhams have agreed to credit the 'wrong' clock but can offer no solution as Hymer insist it fits :mad:

2. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

First port of call for best responses would German dealers, well worth emailing a few may find one that has one lurking in their stock.

• Like Like x 1
  3. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

A deep lack of empathy, let alone sympathy for my horology quandary, I am disappointed nobody has a spare clock tucked away somewhere :)

4. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

You need to breathe deep, sit back and chill. So what... would be my attitude to the situation.

Will make yourself ill...Your becoming fixated over nothing man!:D

Have you looked at getting it repaired...

• Like Like x 1
  5. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

Ooooohhhhh David, ,,your Hymer posts excite me. ..

• Like Like x 2
  6. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

I was pretty much 'chilled' until I decided to change the clock :)

Mending is not really a full solution as the plastic front is glued on and now broken by clumsy removal, :whistle: but as in my OP I will probably now buy a new quartz movement probably for pennies and live without the cover, which I have done for months now already

The angst has been caused by Hymers inability to supply a part and then their refusal to accept that the part offered is wrong

I am over it really, just sharing, as a forum is for maybe? Had it been a critical part it might have stopped a holiday maybe, depending on what we are prepared to do without I guess, but the wrong water pump or incorrect window could make a holiday more difficult, it was the principle I was highlighting (y)

7. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

indeed.. like a reversing camera.. :ROFLMAO:

• Like Like x 2
  8. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

You are really not taking this seriously are you :LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

• Like Like x 1
  9. s20hymer

s20hymer Funster

you will get there in ...Time

• Like Like x 2
  10. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

How old is your Hymer David and how long would you expect a manufacturer to stock spares for?

• Like Like x 1
  11. Mr Mousy

Mr Mousy Funster Life Member

You're meant to be retired and therefore have no need for time keeping devices.

• Like Like x 2
  12. gloworm

gloworm Funster

Can you not get a "Second Hand" one.

Sorry (n)

Eric

• Like Like x 2
  13. Robert Clark

Robert Clark Funster Life Member

• Like Like x 1
  14. ianandkath

ianandkath Funster

time has stopped for some people

• Like Like x 1
  15. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

• Like Like x 2
  16. phase3begins

phase3begins Read Only Funster

Just glue the hands on. Will be right twice a day

• Like Like x 4
  17. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

My MH was a 2007 build, but I was in a 2013 820S at a rally last month, fitted with exactly the same clock, so that boosted my expectations that they would still have one, if I owned the 2013 Mh and it failed I would not be pleased if they couldn't supply one under warranty let alone paid for

If Hymer had said they couldn't get one I would be happier than being sold one which does not fit but they insist definitely does

Its no big deal really but I wouldn't like to be waiting for something critical

18. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

Thanks Robert, will have a further investigation, I tend to go for the easy dealer option, maybe time to change who I trust / use (y)
    ]

19. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

I will presume the green smiley makes this a more 'fun' post than I first read, :unsure: you don't have to read or reply to my posts if you find them tiresome :(

20. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

The best of it is I don't even look at it, so just going to put the stopped clock back in MH minus its front cover :)

• Like Like x 1