Poole or Portsmouth - easiest to get to from "up north"?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Hilltopper, Sep 12, 2016.

1. Hilltopper

Hilltopper Funster

We're thinking about going over to France next spring and I was wondering which of the two ferry ports would be the easiest to get to with our PVC. An easy journey for me means avoiding congested towns and roads as far as possible. Looking at the map, there is more motorway if heading for Portsmouth, whereas Poole looks to have mainly A roads south of the Bristol area. What are funster's experiences?

2. mustaphapint

mustaphapint Funster

Portsmouth. Poole is not as easy a journey even in a car. The ferry terminal at Portsmouth is just off the motorway.

3. lunarman

lunarman Funster

Definitely Portsmouth it is motorway or dual carriage all the way right to the dock gates M40, mA34, M3 M27. If you go to Poole from Bristol it will take 2.5 hours you'll be lucky to get above 40mph going via Bath the A36 and the A450 done the journey several times and i would avoid it if possible.

John

4. Madmag

Madmag Funster

Agree Portsmouth, even when we were tugging! Dont know how far North you would be coming from but we used to do M6,M40 then onto the A34 down to the M3.
    The A34 can get busy especially round Oxford but as I said, even when we had a caravan it was the preferred route.

5. The Old Man

The Old Man Funster

Memory tells me Portsmouth, Poole was a lot of narrow windy roads.

6. PeteH

PeteH Funster

Quick Run with Autoroute, The Journey is the same to J9 (M40). From there it is between 1hr 40min to 2hrs (109miles) to Poole and 1hr 22min to 2hrs (95miles) to Portsmouth.

In recent times the A34 around Oxford has been undergoing road works, which have been giving issues (Pear Tree? I think), and it is always slow going getting off the M40 onto the A34 at peak times!

I would suggest Portsmouth, unless there was a greater financial incentive for Poole.

Pete

Last edited: Sep 12, 2016
  7. matamoros

matamoros Funster

Ex Rochdale now Tavira, S. Brittany & Europe
    I do the run from Lancashire to Portsmouth on a regular basis and my preferred route is via the M6, M5 to Gloucester then to Swindon, can't remember the junction number or road number( done the route so many times I could do it in my sleep) big hill at Birdlip but no problem. M4 then onto A34 near Newbury, I wouldn't think there is a lot of difference from that point to Poole or Portsmouth but Portsmouth is certainly easy to get to.

If you have time most of the M6 in Cheshire and the Midlands can be avoided by using the A49 through Shropshire etc and joining the M5 South of Birmingham, a very pleasant change from the chaos on UK motorways.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Terry and Jan

Terry and Jan Funster

Depends on you arrival time, arrive at poole evening before, toilets, showers...£5.00 for the night, safe and secure, Portsmouth....Hmm!

• Like Like x 1
  9. wigster

wigster Funster

Pompey is easier .

10. WillH

WillH Funster

Portsmouth, you are literally straight off the motorway into the terminal.

11. bertiebasset

bertiebasset Funster

Why not go Dover Calais, we have just booked for 2 weeks end Sept. £104 return for 7.6 mtr. We live in Nottingham but when coming from over the northern border the route is much the same ((A66, A1, M1 or M11) against M6 to M1 or M40)) then either over QE bridge or round M25 anti-clockwise to Dover.
    I will probably go over to Grantham then A1, A14 M11 etc., we will be in Canterbury night before sailing so fresh for France.

12. John&Kate

John&Kate Funster

Portsmouth way easier than Poole. We live 5 mins from the Portsmouth Terminal but prefer to go Folkestone - Calaise on the train. I would rather sit driving my MH accross France than sit on a ferry .. .. :sick:

• Like Like x 1
  13. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

If I was coming as far as you I would be looking at Hull / Zeebrugge

Depends on where in France you are aiming for, but drive to Hull overnight ferry to recover then go again in morning for me (y)

Bit more ferry cost, but a massive saving on miles and tiredness, French miles are so much easier than UK

14. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

Could you do the Newcastle or Hull ferry, by the time you have got from Fort William to Plymouth or Portsmouth it will be time to turn around and go back home again.

Martin

15. MichelleRyall

MichelleRyall Funster

Poole is flipping expensive too.

16. tjay

tjay Funster

We travel regularly to Spain from Dundee but only ever use DFDS Dover to either Dunkirk or Calais. Would never dream of using Portsmouth ,Poole or Newhaven as all of the ferries from them are far too expensive!
    Would even use the tunnel as that is usually cheaper too.Being a scotsman i like a bargain lol !!
    Main reason it is a short crossing for the dog and he gets to stay in the motorhome and not in a kennel on longer journeys

17. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

another reason to avoid Poole is that work started today to refurbish the famous lifting bridge at Poole at the dock enterance and diversions are going to cause traffic chaos for the next 9-12months

• Like Like x 1
  18. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Simple.... He wants to avoid congestion..

besides, Dover Calais crossing is becomming less attarctive due to disruption, French blokades etc etc If I were coming from Scotland I'd also be looking to avoid the M25 and Calais

Living in Suffolk, I'm considering Harwich - Hook of Holland next trip. ..

19. Baldeagle7470

Baldeagle7470 Funster

Looks like you will be going to Pompey then!! Maybe :whistle:
    Whatever you choose,have a lovely trip.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Nirvanauk

Nirvanauk Funster

Go to hull far easier.