Pondering Gaslow

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by Chipster, Nov 25, 2013.

1. Chipster

Chipster Funster Life Member

Thinking of getting Gaslow fitted to our van when we get it. I've been reading up a bit on Gaslow and quite fancy the idea. However, from what I can gather, Autogas is a mix of propane and butane of varying quantities so my question is can the butane still freeze? What's the solution/ work around? So is Gaslow worth it?
    Thanks in advance.

2. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Do it, it's brilliant. Easy DIY.

The gas mix is just a theoretical problem I think, if it freezes in Gaslow it freezes in a car/van so maybe the mix is adjusted according to season. I've never heard of any freezing problems.

3. Munchie

Munchie Funster Life Member

We have been below -10 with no problems.

In my view it is worth every penny.:thumb:

• Like Like x 2
  4. Phill D

Phill D

i think youve answered your own question, auto gas is used in cars and they dont have freeze problems that i am aware of. and you will be using autogas.

i pondered for a long while and finally bit the bullet . one of my better decisions i think, but i only fitted one 11kg bottle and kept a calor light second bottle for 2 reasons;

1. in UK if i am stuck for an autogas station i have a back up.. ( not been needed as yet :Doh: )
    2. in Europe if i cant get autogas i can fit the adapter i carry and fit a local bottle.:thumb:

you wont justify it on cost savings, but on convenience :thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels Funster Life Member

Go for it.

We change to the gas-it system just before going to France for 2 weeks. We pondered the whys and wherefores for months, but finally decided when my friend was told by her husband the day before they were due to go on holiday that they need a new gas bottle. Off she went to get one and on getting it out of the car boot, she dropped it on her foot and broke her toe! Still went on holiday but limped everywhere! Poor girl.

I had also got fed up with doing the maths, trying to work out how much we had left.

6. mitzimad

mitzimad Funster

you could also consider an under slung gas tank if you have the space below which also free,s up the storage space in the gas locker

• Like Like x 2
  7. Phill D

Phill D

ps; we bought the Gasit system its cheaper than gaslow and the same.( except its red not yellow ) if you want light weight its autogas 2000.

its a piece a cake to DIY fit

8. Chipster

Chipster Funster Life Member

Thanks all. Looks like a goer then!!!!!

9. mick noe

mick noe Funster

I have just fitted Gas it system (same as gaslow but cheaper) had it in my last van would not be without it dead easy to fill saves all the fuffing about with spanners changing cylinders and worrying whether theres enough in the cylinder to see you through holiday etc:thumb:

10. Bellini

Bellini Funster

I've never had it but it's always been in my plans to have fitted. And it's my joint next thing to have done.

The clincher is that I've yet to find anyone saying they've regretted having it fitted.

So, yes, go for it. :thumb:

11. lorger

lorger Funster

Fitted it to our van in Febuary and worth every penny, we went for the gasit from Autogas 2000 you will see their add on the right of the home page on here. You get a discount for being a fun member and great service.

12. Tea Bag

Tea Bag Funster

Hi.
    Had under slung tank with traffic light readout,full/empty,had gas-low and Safe-fill. Having under slung tank again this time,there have been reports about trouble filling the bottles,if not connected to a proper filler on the coach work,i had NO trouble myself,but for ease of use,knowing how much is left in the tank,plus the extra storage space,this is the way for us. Hope this helps,you can also,sell it on,or have it refitted to your next unit,same as the cylinders.
    Tea Bag
    PS. I still have two Safe Fill,one full,the other part full,they are of no use to me,so will be going to a car boot in the spring.

13. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

We have had it since 2009 and wouldn't change back to a standard bottle now. We just have one 11kg cylinder which suits us fine - we wild camp all the time and did nearly 7 weeks in Germany/France and had no problem filling it with Autogas however we also did 4 weeks in Ireland and found it was much less available there so if we spotted it we got it! In the UK there are lots of places you can get it.

Installing it is simplicity itself, not that much different really to changing a standard cylinder, the only 'tricky' bit is deciding where to put the filling point and then fitting it ... if you want to put it in the MH side panel you might get the shivers at the thought of having to cut a big hole in the side! I put ours inside the gas locker itself on a bracket so no problem there, and despite what some have said about 'others' having problems when wanting to refill it (whoever the 'others' are!) we have NEVER been refused permission and we've used it a lot since 2009!!!

We did consider an underslung gas tank but at around 3 times the cost of a similar sized 11kg refillable bottle system we thought better of it! :RollEyes:

Last edited: Nov 25, 2013
  14. Moodybrook

Moodybrook Funster

Brian, question , ever considered those self fill kits for ordinary bottles? Temporary screw on jobs.

15. TheDogMan

TheDogMan Funster

Don't think about it if you can afford it get it :thumb: I had an underslung tank fitted and its brillant being able to fill up at a pump, no lifiting and changing bottles and the bonus is its cheaper, filled up 3 weeks ago at 67p per litre, one of the better decisions I made:yeah:

16. HymerB544

HymerB544 Funster

Gaslow

I'm only adding to the general views expressed. We had our Gaslow tanks fitted in August 2012 (2 11kg tanks) and they seem to last forever and are so cheap to fill it is unbelievable, not to mention the avoidance of having to lug huge heavy bottles around. It really used to frustrate me when, having bought the lighter weight red bottles I'd find the supplier had run out of those and I had to settle for heavier replacements. No more of that. Go for it. NOT CHEAP, but well worth it in the long run!:thumb:

17. dave newell lvs

dave newell lvs Trader-Vehicle Services

To answer the specific questions in the OP:
    Autogas in the UK is around 97% propane so no need to worry. The butane element will get vapourised along with the butane and be burned so no need to worry about it.
    Butane does not freeze until very low temperatures are acchieved, its boiling point is around 2 deg C so what happens is that below that temperature it will not turn from liquid to vapour, simple as that.

D.

18. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Nobody has mentioned Alugas on this thread. We have Alugas cylinders fitted and are very pleased with them.

19. marymary

marymary

Dave, do you fit any of these systems?? You fitted my reversing camera, plugs and radio the other week......:Smile:

20. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

We have a Gaslow system. Autogas works just fine at -27 and 2300m altitude!:thumb:

• Like Like x 1