Free Member
Nov 18, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
hymer exsis
Exp
10 years
We have some friends in Polperro and of course the only place to park is that great big car park at the top of the village.

The sign says something along the lines of "no camping". Has anybody ever tried being very quiet and sleeping in their van.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
We have some friends in Polperro and of course the only place to park is that great big car park at the top of the village.

The sign says something along the lines of "no camping". Has anybody ever tried being very quiet and sleeping in their van.

Don't even try it! These people who own the car park aren't fools! It's privately owned, so, no Council Jobsworth working from 9 to 5, the big house behind the shop and the garages, guess what?

Ever heard of CCTV!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Don't even try it! These people who own the car park aren't fools! It's privately owned, so, no Council Jobsworth working from 9 to 5, the big house behind the shop and the garages, guess what?

Ever heard of CCTV!

Does that mean the bloke watching the CCTV isn't a jobsworth just because he owns the place rather than working for the council? :Smile:

novawight

Free Member
May 14, 2010
Hayling Island
Funster No
MH
hi top,
Exp
on and off 50 years
there is a layby at the top of the hill before you get to Looe left hand side going out of Polperro , sheltered by hedging, stayed there overnight last may

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Orrrr...
If the owners are known, might be worth offering a fiver a night or somesuch explaining they are just visiting friends ?

The very worse that can happen is the owner says no.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Does that mean the bloke watching the CCTV isn't a jobsworth just because he owns the place rather than working for the council? :Smile:

No it means he has laid out 1 million plus to buy the set up, and is not a fool! Looks out the window, sees a M/H, checks the CCTV, people going in! blinds up! no one coming out! 2+2+2= 6
Worst case scenario? Goes to garage or w/shop for the vehicle clamp!
Result? one cheapskate M/Homer bitching on this site because he either could not read, or understand the words NO OVERNIGHT CAMPING!

dshague

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
VAN CONVERSION
Exp
20 years
the owner lives in a house over looking car park .

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
the owner lives in a house over looking car park .

caused quite a stir on the local forum in 2008 .. I wonder if it has been resolved

I have it on good authority that the new owners of the Polperro Car Park have applied for planning permission for a horse shelter. The idea is that they take over the business from Phil who is in the process of selling off his land in Polperro (including the land the dalmations are on).

Now, the new owner, or at least the woman who seems to be running the car park on their behalf, has said "If anyone opposes the application, we will close the carpark effectively putting a noose round Polperro's neck". Nice thing to say isn't it?

How they would close it without the good people of Polperro physically removing any blockages I'm not sure. They have already told Caradon to remove the recycling bins, something which Caradon has not done of course.

What an attitude. Maybe we should start a campaign to get Caradon to put a compulsory purchase order on the Car Park. The population of Polperro may be small, but I've an inkling they have more friends than they know.

http://looeandpolperro.freeforums.org/polperro-car-park-worrying-signs-t70.html

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2005 this time
So!

I re-iterate these people know what they are about! By all means try your hand! you think you are a smart A*** Go for it fella!

The Locals know how ruthless these people are!

I've said it before, I'll say it again, if you can afford to buy and run a M/Home, you can afford to park in a CS , CL, Caravan park, et al!

Any way what kind of friend/ mate/ pal won't allow you to doss down on his living room/ lounge floor?

rangi

OP
OP
bernardfeay

bernardfeay

Free Member
Nov 18, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
hymer exsis
Exp
10 years
I did it my way

Thanks folks for all the tips. Everybody seems to know that the owner can overlook the car park. Be that as it may, we stayed for 2 nights. We put all the screens up all day and left them like that, stayed with our friends in their house till late and then went back to the van.

We did have the jobsworth road sweeper chap cleaning the car park circling round for an hour but nobody said anything.

bigfish

Free Member
May 20, 2009
Eastleigh, Hants
Funster No
Exp
8 years, but had caravans & Tents before that
So!

I re-iterate these people know what they are about! By all means try your hand! you think you are a smart A*** Go for it fella!

The Locals know how ruthless these people are!

I've said it before, I'll say it again, if you can afford to buy and run a M/Home, you can afford to park in a CS , CL, Caravan park, et al!

Any way what kind of friend/ mate/ pal won't allow you to doss down on his living room/ lounge floor?

rangi

Pitty you ignored this post, then daft enough to go public and tell the world that you stayed here against all of the good advice.

We certainly DONT need people like you, and hope that this attitude dosnt shaft motorhomers use of this facility in the future, here or anywhere where this is seen to be normal practice.

YOU are in an unwanted minority, and dont reflect the 99.99% who dont ignore good advice, to the detriment of all others.
Well done:Doh::shout::shout:
I wont appoplgise for this post as this really does spoil it for others, and gets on my T---ts.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Pitty you ignored this post, then daft enough to go public and tell the world that you stayed here against all of the good advice.

I wont appoplgise for this post as this really does spoil it for others, and gets on my T---ts.

So did Cornwall ( or wherever ) disappear under the sea ?

Just what did he do wrong ?

The bastard PARKED on a piece of Planet Earth.

He didn't cause Planet Earth one bit of a problem.

He didn't cause the car park owner one bit of a problem.

He didn't cause ANYONE one bit of as problem.

Could it be you have over sensitive tits ?

OP
OP
bernardfeay

bernardfeay

Free Member
Nov 18, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
hymer exsis
Exp
10 years
thanks hilldweller

yes, it's me again. The guy who parked on polperro car park. For one thing I don't like parking on camp sites. some do, I don't. I don't apologise for that, nor do I judge those who don't share my view.

To answer the points raised, there are no easy access camp sites close to Polperro that I know of. If you want to be in Polperro then your options are very limited. As for staying with friends I've put a proposal to them to have an extension built on the harbour. I'm sure the planning authorities will approve, it's a breeze block plan but it's not as if the village is picturesque.

There is a world of difference between sleeping quietly in a motorhome and holding a Glastonbury festival.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
>> thanks hilldweller

Well technically the knockers are totally correct and the car park could be closed by the council if you contravened it's licence ( not likely is it ) but it seems SO British to enforce every law to the letter no matter how absurd it is.

It's not long ago some brave people stormed Derbyshire for freedom to enjoy the planet, they were applauded then, this thread is the exact opposite.

Let's be more like the French.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
One person may not cause a problem but if the situation starts to escalate then we could easily find measures being taken as discussed in Link Removed.

Graham

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
One person may not cause a problem
Graham

To the best of my knowledge he was only one person and a FUNster at that.

But to look at the thread it was more like an episode of Spooks and he was a terrorist carrying 100 tonnes of Anthrax.

If nothing else, the last sentence should have someone at GCHQ dropping his morning coffee in his keyboard.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
And, off topic but has to be said.. The winner of this weeks quote of the week is Brian with his offering:

Could it be you have over sensitive tits ?

A prize is on its way sir

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Why should they? To upset people and get motorhomes banned from the car park completely perhaps? It's happened elsewhere.

Graham
Camping suggests chairs awnigs BBQ etc, just sleeping does not constitute camping, the distinction is made in several European countries.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Camping suggests chairs awnigs BBQ etc, just sleeping does not constitute camping, the distinction is made in several European countries.

I don't dispute that that distinction is made elsewhere Roger but we have to deal with what happens in this country. Whatever we may think the distinction that most councils - and, obviously given the Polperro case, at least one private owner - make is between parking an empty vehicle and staying in the vehicle overnight.

The way to change that is by constructive persuasion, as seems to be happening in Fylde at the moment.

Graham

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back