polperro car park

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by bernardfeay, Oct 11, 2010.

1. bernardfeay

bernardfeay Read Only Funster

We have some friends in Polperro and of course the only place to park is that great big car park at the top of the village.

The sign says something along the lines of "no camping". Has anybody ever tried being very quiet and sleeping in their van.

2. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Why should they? To upset people and get motorhomes banned from the car park completely perhaps? It's happened elsewhere.

Graham

3. rangitira

rangitira Funster

Don't even try it! These people who own the car park aren't fools! It's privately owned, so, no Council Jobsworth working from 9 to 5, the big house behind the shop and the garages, guess what?

Ever heard of CCTV!

4. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Does that mean the bloke watching the CCTV isn't a jobsworth just because he owns the place rather than working for the council? :Smile:

5. novawight

novawight Read Only Funster

there is a layby at the top of the hill before you get to Looe left hand side going out of Polperro , sheltered by hedging, stayed there overnight last may

6. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Orrrr...
    If the owners are known, might be worth offering a fiver a night or somesuch explaining they are just visiting friends ?

The very worse that can happen is the owner says no.

7. rangitira

rangitira Funster

No it means he has laid out 1 million plus to buy the set up, and is not a fool! Looks out the window, sees a M/H, checks the CCTV, people going in! blinds up! no one coming out! 2+2+2= 6
    Worst case scenario? Goes to garage or w/shop for the vehicle clamp!
    Result? one cheapskate M/Homer bitching on this site because he either could not read, or understand the words NO OVERNIGHT CAMPING!

8. dshague

dshague Funster

the owner lives in a house over looking car park .

9. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

caused quite a stir on the local forum in 2008 .. I wonder if it has been resolved

http://looeandpolperro.freeforums.org/polperro-car-park-worrying-signs-t70.html

10. rangitira

rangitira Funster

So!

I re-iterate these people know what they are about! By all means try your hand! you think you are a smart A*** Go for it fella!

The Locals know how ruthless these people are!

I've said it before, I'll say it again, if you can afford to buy and run a M/Home, you can afford to park in a CS , CL, Caravan park, et al!

Any way what kind of friend/ mate/ pal won't allow you to doss down on his living room/ lounge floor?

rangi

11. bernardfeay

I did it my way

Thanks folks for all the tips. Everybody seems to know that the owner can overlook the car park. Be that as it may, we stayed for 2 nights. We put all the screens up all day and left them like that, stayed with our friends in their house till late and then went back to the van.

We did have the jobsworth road sweeper chap cleaning the car park circling round for an hour but nobody said anything.

12. bigfish

bigfish Read Only Funster

Pitty you ignored this post, then daft enough to go public and tell the world that you stayed here against all of the good advice.

We certainly DONT need people like you, and hope that this attitude dosnt shaft motorhomers use of this facility in the future, here or anywhere where this is seen to be normal practice.

YOU are in an unwanted minority, and dont reflect the 99.99% who dont ignore good advice, to the detriment of all others.
    Well done:Doh::shout::shout:
    I wont appoplgise for this post as this really does spoil it for others, and gets on my T---ts.

13. rangitira

rangitira Funster

Big Fish , nuff said! Yeh?

14. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

So did Cornwall ( or wherever ) disappear under the sea ?

Just what did he do wrong ?

The bastard PARKED on a piece of Planet Earth.

He didn't cause Planet Earth one bit of a problem.

He didn't cause the car park owner one bit of a problem.

He didn't cause ANYONE one bit of as problem.

Could it be you have over sensitive tits ?

15. bernardfeay

thanks hilldweller

yes, it's me again. The guy who parked on polperro car park. For one thing I don't like parking on camp sites. some do, I don't. I don't apologise for that, nor do I judge those who don't share my view.

To answer the points raised, there are no easy access camp sites close to Polperro that I know of. If you want to be in Polperro then your options are very limited. As for staying with friends I've put a proposal to them to have an extension built on the harbour. I'm sure the planning authorities will approve, it's a breeze block plan but it's not as if the village is picturesque.

There is a world of difference between sleeping quietly in a motorhome and holding a Glastonbury festival.

16. hilldweller

>> thanks hilldweller

Well technically the knockers are totally correct and the car park could be closed by the council if you contravened it's licence ( not likely is it ) but it seems SO British to enforce every law to the letter no matter how absurd it is.

It's not long ago some brave people stormed Derbyshire for freedom to enjoy the planet, they were applauded then, this thread is the exact opposite.

Let's be more like the French.

17. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

One person may not cause a problem but if the situation starts to escalate then we could easily find measures being taken as discussed in This Thread.

Graham

18. hilldweller

To the best of my knowledge he was only one person and a FUNster at that.

But to look at the thread it was more like an episode of Spooks and he was a terrorist carrying 100 tonnes of Anthrax.

If nothing else, the last sentence should have someone at GCHQ dropping his morning coffee in his keyboard.

19. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

And, off topic but has to be said.. The winner of this weeks quote of the week is Brian with his offering:

A prize is on its way sir

20. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

Camping suggests chairs awnigs BBQ etc, just sleeping does not constitute camping, the distinction is made in several European countries.