Poll Buying a 2nd hand Motorhome

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by joncris, Feb 20, 2015.

?

Should you consider buying a MH from a hire company

Poll closed Feb 27, 2015.
  1. Yes

57.9%
  2. No

21.1%
  3. Not sure

21.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. joncris

joncris Read Only Funster

As you can see from our avatar we own a Rimor Katamarano 12p + Auto which we purchased from JustGo a MH hire company now based near Toddington
    The advantages were/are that it has a full service history, has been well maintained as everything worked and when collected it was spotless and still has a decent time to run warranty both from Renault and Rimor. It also had all of the equipment you would need such as a TV, Pots, Pans, Crockery, Knives Forks, Food quality water hose, 25m cable hook up when leccy is available, floor brush and pan 1st aid kit, fire extinguisher + Florescent Jacket + Warning Triangle + all the other things you might want + GasFlo refillable bottles AND most important of all a BOTTLE opener all bought for much less than a dealers price or looking on some of the websites even less than some private sellers
    The downside is that it won't be brand spanking new and it will have mileage. Ours was 36K.
    The upside of that is that any faults will have been rectified long ago

What do YOU think Good idea or Bad one

Last edited: Feb 20, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Bertie Bassett

Bertie Bassett Read Only Funster

I voted yes jc not because I have any experience but because from this and previous posts you are obviously very happy with the van...........Say no more, that does it for me.(y)

Last edited: Feb 20, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
  3. davidbaldam

davidbaldam Funster

We bought our van from man who thought he could make a mint buying a van then renting it, after two years he relished that the market was too small in our neck of the world so sold it with everything ready to go at a very good price and I haven't looked back. (y)

• Like Like x 3
  4. Cat53

Cat53 Funster

I said yes too. Because of everything you said in your post....plus I think, when you hire things the costs are punitive if you don't look after the hire vehicle!

• Like Like x 2
  5. joncris

Yes I don't know when you purchased yours but MH hire has really only kicked off big time in the last few years, perhaps within the last 5-6yrs I would think

6. joncris

I would like to point out that I have no axe to grind nor am I connected in anyway to a dealer or hirer of anything.
    I just think that if like us you have a limited budget then its a good place to start. The Missus will tell you I'm all about saving a few bob or as She would put it a "tight arse"

• Like Like x 5
  7. Peter & Elaine

Peter & Elaine Funster

So long as it's what you want and in good condition why not

• Like Like x 1
  8. joncris

Quite but there's some here that wouldn't and I think they're losing out soooooo I'm trying to get them to think again cos they're spending money they don't have too if they go down this route they'll save lots & lots of money

9. Terran

Terran Funster

Great way to find the layout and size you want, voted Yes, (y)

10. Peter & Elaine

Peter & Elaine Funster

The word think and this lot in one sentence whatever next:X3::whistle:

• Like Like x 2
  11. DanielFord

DanielFord Funster

A big yes from us, ours is also an ex-rental, in fact we rented the exact van that we now own a couple of years ago.
    Another plus that wasn't mentioned, the hire companies generally sell them off at less than market price so you get a bit of a bargain. I like a bargain(y)

12. Carol

Carol Funster Life Member

Not like me I know but I am sitting on the fence with this one, I think if you know what you are doing then you could be all right, what would concern me a little is that not all Hire Vehicle company's are that reputable and faults that could be caused through the people not knowing how to use the vans properly could show up later, also on resale some people would just walk away from a hire van.

13. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

that's me, ex hire I wouldn't touch.

14. jenny and mitch

jenny and mitch Funster

15. Bobby22

Bobby22 Funster

I voted yes, you should consider, but when i enquired and had a look at this I decided it wasn't for me.
    The van i looked at was what i was looking for and i got one.
    The hirer buys new each season and sells the vans every october.(6months old) I looked at the van earmarked for me in the July. At that time you could see a bit of wear and tear cosmetically without finding other things wrong.
    It would have covered 16k miles when i got it.
    It did have all the toys fitted eg. awning, tv. reverse camera, Gaslow and bike rack.
    But in the end I bought new for 3.5k more with the full warranty with only the TV+ Aerial and Gaslow.

I was worried that the van would have had what amounts to 4 or 5 years wear in the six month period with inexperienced people driving and using it every week or so.
    They do sell the at a fair price but they certainly get their monies worth from them.

And don't believe that they are selling them at a big discount the bloke told me he didn't even pay what he was asking for at the end of it's rental life.

And he sells the full fleet (10 or more each year)

16. Zains Pops

Zains Pops Funster

Ex rental should be fine if fairly new. I would draw the line at 3 years old. It all depends on the original manufacturer and the price. The only downside I can see is the condition of the internal fittings, MH interiors are somewhat fragile and very dependant on maintenance, a hire van will have had plenty of use, should be ok if a decent manufacturers and the maintenance regime. The chassis part will be fine, probably better than most as it's actually been used as designed

• Like Like x 2
  17. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

yes, I considered for all of 5 secs then voted no..

the poll should be a straight question .. would you buy ex hire .. yes or no

18. DanielFord

DanielFord Funster

That is very true, you would have to ensure that you trust the company concerned.

Being that it is sort of in my area of expertise, the reason that they will be sold cheaper is to do with the way that limited companies are allowed to state their assets. They will purchase the vehicle new, and then each year HMRC allows the asset to be written down to allow for depreciation, and the company receive a tax allowance for this. After roughly three years the asset will be pretty well fully written down, so any sale value is technically profit that can be put back into the company.
    I'll shut up now, because I am sure no one really cares about that :D

• Like Like x 1
  19. joncris

You do realize that vehicle hire companies don't pay VAT on the vehicle hence getting it cheap as your seller claimed. The taxman gets his cut from the rentals
    Not paying VAT means that there can be no private use by either the owner or a member of staff UNLESS they pay the full whack including VAT

20. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

If I were to buy S/H I would only consider a Hymer from a German dealer. Hymer will not allow them to rent out vans more than 2 years old most are sold in the 1st year. Put on the road in April and sold off in September. Having hired a couple of Hymers in Germany they are so fussy about the condition of them, they keep them in mint condition.

• Like Like x 2