Free Member
Oct 17, 2016
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 679
Exp
Since Oct 2016
I am looking to give my new motorhome a really good polishing before the real bad weather is upon us. The job isn't worth doing IMO if I don't do the roof.
Now my caravan roof was a challenge but I did it but I'm still wondering about how I'm going to go about doing my motorhome roof.
Do any of you brilliant peeps out there have any tips to do this job safely and properly. :think:

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
I just get the ladder out and get up there and do it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
For those of you that fear this job which isn't easy by any means, after cleaning thoroughly apply an aquawax. This is usually applied using a garden sprayer then rinsed. Several products are available such as Demonshine or Autoglym. Alternatively you could use Fenwicks Overwinter, any of these will protect your van over the winter months and is a lot easier than applying a coat of wax.

Jul 10, 2016
hucknall
Funster No
MH
Swift bolero 712sb
Exp
10 years
as far as i am aware wax and polish are different things, i always use wax , a friend who valets vehicles for a living told me why

Chaumo

Free Member
Apr 21, 2015
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
A few years
Do any of you brilliant peeps out there have any tips to do this job safely and properly. :think:[/QUOTE]

The roof of my motorhome is soms sort of acrylic that i cannot see would benefit from wax so just clean it thoroughly. I have found telescopic ladders to be the safest, lightest and easiest to store way of dealing with the roof. I tape half a rubber kneeler to each side of the ladder where it rests against the edge.

OP
OP
Dub Dog

Dub Dog

Free Member
Oct 17, 2016
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 679
Exp
Since Oct 2016
Thanks so much for all your suggestions. I was really getting at can I get on the roof to polish it or not. Would it take my weight for me to get on to.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
If it is a bonded construction should be OK to walk on, handbook normally gives the weight the roof can support normally around 75kg.

Oct 17, 2016
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
A-class
Exp
40 years caravanning. New A-class Moho owners
Used to use Bobby Dazzler after washing cars and van. Then tried Maguiar's wax. Brilliant !!!!! Use it only on the roof !

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dub Dog

Dub Dog

Free Member
Oct 17, 2016
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 679
Exp
Since Oct 2016
I take it wax is better than polish. Does that mean it last longer?

Oct 17, 2016
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
A-class
Exp
Hi Dub Dog. I can only comment on the results I've had. I have a shelf full of polishes AutoGlym, Mer and some recommended by aircraft manufacturers. I used Maguiars wax and find that the shine is fabulous and has lasted. The muck is washed away by the rain. The car I've used it on, a Mazda MX5 is almost 13 years old and looks like it has just come out of the showroom.
Good luck tomorrow. Regards, Mike

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
For those like Dub Dog who haven't read the Detailing section of MHF. Wax protects , polish makes your van shine, but does NOT protect.

OP
OP
Dub Dog

Dub Dog

Free Member
Oct 17, 2016
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 679
Exp
Since Oct 2016
Hi Dub Dog. I can only comment on the results I've had. I have a shelf full of polishes AutoGlym, Mer and some recommended by aircraft manufacturers. I used Maguiars wax and find that the shine is fabulous and has lasted. The muck is washed away by the rain. The car I've used it on, a Mazda MX5 is almost 13 years old and looks like it has just come out of the showroom.
Good luck tomorrow. Regards, Mike
Sounds like the right gear to me. Where do you buy Maguiars from if you don't mind me asking.

OP
OP
Dub Dog

Dub Dog

Free Member
Oct 17, 2016
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 679
Exp
Since Oct 2016
For those like Dub Dog who haven't read the Detailing section of MHF. Wax protects , polish makes your van shine, but does NOT protect.
If that's true how come I've used autoglym resin polish for years and the water beads up and runs off like a good un.

Oct 17, 2016
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
A-class
Exp
Sounds like the right gear to me. Where do you buy Maguiars from if you don't mind me asking.
Hi again. I believe I bought mine at Halfords. It is expensive but I watched a few Youtubes first and decided to try it.
"Maguiar's proprietary Hydrophobic Polymer Technology increases surface tension so water beads and rolls right off. Safe on all gloss paints and clear coats.
NOT for use on flat,matt or satin finishes."

Oct 17, 2016
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
A-class
Exp
Just checked. It is Halfords. £29.99, 473ml and called Ultimate Liquid Wax. Comes with a pad applicator and towel to polish.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
If that's true how come I've used autoglym resin polish for years and the water beads up and runs off like a good un.

Autoglym SRP is an ultra light cut polish. It will improve the surface slightly and in doing so will make the surface slicker. This is why water runs off better than before using it.

But it offers Zero wax qualities so Zero protection to the surfaces it's used on.

Wax is to seal and protect. It has Zero polishing ability.

Polish is to improve the surfaces. They can be transformed from rough to touch to super slick but will require a wax after use to protect said surface.

There are guides in the Detailing section which will inform. Have a read and ask questions if you like .

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Just checked. It is Halfords. £29.99, 473ml and called Ultimate Liquid Wax. Comes with a pad applicator and towel to polish.

Colinite 476S is ten times better. It's a high quality professional wax far better than the consumer rubbish from Halfords. There are topics and guides in the Detailing section. Oh and it's much cheaper as well .

Oct 17, 2016
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
A-class
Exp
Colinite 476S is ten times better. It's a high quality professional wax far better than the consumer rubbish from Halfords. There are topics and guides in the Detailing section. Oh and it's much cheaper as well .
Thanks, Charlie. I'll give it a try. If it's ten times better, I'd better put sunglasses on. Maguiar's is good.
Regards, Mike

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Thanks, Charlie. I'll give it a try. If it's ten times better, I'd better put sunglasses on. Maguiar's is good.
Regards, Mike
The Thing is we surely must use a durable long lasting wax so we need to do the job infrequently.

Waxing a Motorhome takes a long time and is arduous. Climbing on roofs risky. So we should use a long lasting high quality wax. Colinite 476S is just that wax. The fact it's 18 quid a tin that will do ten motorhomes is a bonus.

In the Detailing section there is a guide on the wax and very importantly how to use it to very best effect. Read the guide it really will save you hours of time and help in getting the job done easily....

OP
OP
Dub Dog

Dub Dog

Free Member
Oct 17, 2016
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 679
Exp
Since Oct 2016
The Thing is we surely must use a durable long lasting wax so we need to do the job infrequently.

Waxing a Motorhome takes a long time and is arduous. Climbing on roofs risky. So we should use a long lasting high quality wax. Colinite 476S is just that wax. The fact it's 18 quid a tin that will do ten motorhomes is a bonus.

In the Detailing section there is a guide on the wax and very importantly how to use it to very best effect. Read the guide it really will save you hours of time and help in getting the job done easily....
Hi Charlie, wish I'd read your answers before I went to Halfords and spent £30 on maguirs. But hey it sounds like good stuff still. Very informative of the difference between polish and wax. Thanks.
Just need my motorhome back to wax it now. Can't wait.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back