polishing plastic windows etc (1 Viewer)

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Actually it is not a window but the screen off of my bike..
At some time in its life someone has been unkind to it.. Nowt too nasty but it really needs to be polished to get all the millions of tiny scratches out of it..
What would the panel suggest ?

Poohbear

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Worcester
Funster No
MH
Swift Lifestlye 644
Exp
June 2015
There is only one solution for that. It's called Xerapol. Nothing else even comes close.

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Cheers folks ! :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Have to try it I have a terrible habit of sticking my gloves behind the screen and scratched the screen on every bike I've owned.:sick:

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
Xerapol or Mequiars PlastX will do a really good job, forget Fenwick unless you have lots of time and endless patience

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
Another vote for Brasso ,I had a deep scratch on a rear window and was advised by an old chap on here who I've not seen posting for a bit,about its magical properties and was well impressed with the results .
When I bought my van ,after a good wash and polish it still had flat spots and looked dull ,I used Brasso on the whole van and the difference had to bee seen to believed since then a good wash and wax keeps it in good shape .
I always keep a can in the van and if we are out and about and I see a dull van or caravan I talk to the owner and show them what it can do,normally leaving them with a shiny patch that sticks out like a sore thumb.

Vlad

Sep 23, 2007
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 and many as a tugger
I have a bottle of Graygate plastic polish. I will bring it to Peterborough if you are going and i can find it.

andrewjw

Free Member
Oct 23, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
La Strada Regent L
Exp
20 years plus
I've used Fenwicks , Xerapol and Brasso ...they all work but need a serious amount of elbow grease and time if the scratches are even slightly deep.

The absolute key thing though is to make sure the cloth you apply the polish with is spotless...otherwise you will create more scratches than you polish out!

Have fun!

Dec 11, 2011
Nr Hastings, East Sussex
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Tracker RL
Exp
since 2010
I bought some Novus plastic treatment recently and it works well - came as a pack of 3 bottles - polish, fine scratch remover and deep scratch remover.

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
Another vote for Brasso
Vlad
Never understood why folk will pay shed loads of money for their motor homes and then skimp on cleaning products, Brasso Is not formulated for poly windows or ny surface on a van and contains some very aggressive compounds, why risk it for saving a few pennies.

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Never understood why folk will pay shed loads of money for their motor homes and then skimp on cleaning products, Brasso Is not formulated for poly windows or ny surface on a van and contains some very aggressive compounds, why risk it for saving a few pennies.

What can I say ,I've tried all the autoglym range and various others and there was no comparison on the body of the vehicle ,Brasso won hands down ,as far as I know it's a metal polish .I use this at the start of every year then apply a good wax,I use Wilco's car shampoo there after
As for those people that spend a fortune on cleaning products on there loads of money van fair play to them, all I can say is my reasonably priced van looks equally as good when parked up next to them.
Ok there may be better products at removing scratches from plastic windows ,but if I've got so etching that does the job why buy something else ?
I've only had my van 4 years and it's 12 years old ,when polished up it looks like new ,I suppose if I had shed loads of money I wouldn't be bothered about saving a few pennies I'd get the hired help to clean it !

Vlad

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
But why attack your van with a product that contains ammonia?

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Your obviously more knowledgeable about whats in products than I Mike ,I'm just talking from personal experience and the fact that I've been doing it my way for 4 years with no problems.

Vlad

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
No not used anythink yet but am in the process of searhing the web and a guy i know as used the above with very good results... dont know if your hobby is similar to mine but the large black gloss acrylic panels thats in between the windows could do with some detailed attention on ours, its where tree branches catch the body and leaves scuff/scratch marks - an it being gloss black looks 10x worse, if it were a white bodythe marks would come out easy.

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
Just used fenwicks acrylic scratch remover this week to remove tree branch scratches. Very happy all bar the deep nail test ones have gone completely and the others are very faint and will be re done later. Not a great deal of effort needed but as mentioned above, use clean cloth. I used microfibre one and used circular motion then buffed off. Job done.

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
I have always thought it very short sighted of the designers to put acrylic panels on the side of vans. Before cleaning these panels or acrylic windows always wash thoroughly before hand to make sure there is no grit left on the surface. I always use a new microfiber cloth as this will ensure that it is clean. I am not sure about KK''s panels but acrylic windows are coated so if using any power tools great care must be taken not to polish through the coating.

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Just used fenwicks acrylic scratch remover this week to remove tree branch scratches. Very happy all bar the deep nail test ones have gone completely and the others are very faint and will be re done later. Not a great deal of effort needed but as mentioned above, use clean cloth. I used microfibre one and used circular motion then buffed off. Job done.
Interesting you say you used a MF cloth.. I am guessing it was not a real one but a copy ?
The real ones ( made by Sony's in the US of A ) are quite abrasive !

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
Interesting you say you used a MF cloth.. I am guessing it was not a real one but a copy ?
The real ones ( made by Sony's in the US of A ) are quite abrasive !
They were the ones from B&M. Pack of 5 multi colours. So I would say copy. I didn't have my kirklands on me so used the cheapos we use as dish cloths.

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
They were the ones from B&M. Pack of 5 multi colours. So I would say copy. I didn't have my kirklands on me so used the cheapos we use as dish cloths.

When I used to sell MF cloths it always made me laugh when I read this sort of thing:

I bought a pack of MF cloths from tescos ( or where ever ! ) for a couple of quid
Don't know what all the excitement is about.. They are ok but nothing special..

This at a time when the genuine article ( which I had to bring in by the pallet load ) retailed at between £4.50 and £9 a go !!
When I would suggest the price MIGHT be an indicator of why the ones bought from a supermarket were not all that, I was usually poopoo'd :)

Getting hold of pucka ones nowadays is pretty difficult, but fortunately we still have a few left and they are still going strong after 15 years of use and abuse !
One thing you rarely see though, is the instruction re washing
Any MF cloth ( real or otherwise ) should never be washed with any fabric softener in the water.. It really ruins them :(

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
Mine are Costco, probably not the genuine article but I get through quite a few in a week

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Any MF cloth ( real or otherwise ) should never be washed with any fabric softener in the water.. It really ruins them
I find the same thing with towels and T-Towels. I do a separate wash for those without conditioner and they soak up water much better... T-Towels washed in conditioner just seem to move the water about on the pots I am trying to dry.

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Mine are Costco, probably not the genuine article but I get through quite a few in a week

Yessss... But if they were the genuine article you would be hard pressed to wear one out !

Unless of course you lose them !
But if you do lose them even that changes.. Loosing a two bob cloth is not a worry.. You tend to take real good care when they cost a few quid LOL !!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back