Polishing Fibreglass Bodywork ? (1 Viewer)

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
The fibreglass I have polished which is restricted to marine kit has never passed colour transfer..

I wonder if on MHs and/or caravans may be painted ? Unsure to be truthful ....

I think the only time a fibreglass panel would be painted would be if it was a colour other than white. The only way you would not get colour transfer would be if you were polishing a clear gelcoat the same as a paint clear coat, the colour in gelcoat is simply a pigment that is mixed with a clear gelcoat, it is possible that the pigment density is less than a paint system as a thicker layer goes down and can also be backed up with a colour in the laminating resin if required.

Martin

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
I think the only time a fibreglass panel would be painted would be if it was a colour other than white. The only way you would not get colour transfer would be if you were polishing a clear gelcoat the same as a paint clear coat, the colour in gelcoat is simply a pigment that is mixed with a clear gelcoat, it is possible that the pigment density is less than a paint system as a thicker layer goes down and can also be backed up with a colour in the laminating resin if required.

Martin

Cor blimey Martin you are taking me back to school days when we made a canoe ......

This is my last Jetski. It was of course fibreglass or a very similar material. It was badly scratched and swirled fron the harsh environment it worked in. I polished deep into the surface in order to get the defects out of it. It never shed any colour at all. I have done a few Skis and I was many years ago into water skiing and had a boat or two which were also polished. They were if course white with decals which were masked off.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi Charlie not a bad finish on the jet ski, the simple answer is I don't know either but the fibreglass our motorhomes are made with should loose some colour when being polished I only know this from the last 20 years running a composites business.

Making things like this bonnet off a Catterpillar quarry truck (not polished to your standard @Charlie) this is just a prototype from a CAD drawing.

image.jpeg

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
Never come across colour transfer on any of the motor homes or caravans I have polished and that's quite a lot. Please remember that different makes of motor home have different thickness of gel coat, several would not be thick enough to withstand the amount of polishing Charlie has given the jetski

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Gentlemen I profess to know a limited amount of how fibreglass is finished on motor homes caravans or even jet skis for that matter. So I will moderate my comments on how to polish or what to polish with.
I have always tried to say clearly I know nothing about what I call the composite panels and it seems I should include fibreglass in general in that category.

I always try to remember to advise doing a wee test panel out of sight before commencing in anger.

I will stick to what I know which is automotive bodywork (y)

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Hi Charlie not a bad finish on the jet ski, the simple answer is I don't know either but the fibreglass our motorhomes are made with should loose some colour when being polished I only know this from the last 20 years running a composites business.

Making things like this bonnet off a Catterpillar quarry truck (not polished to your standard @Charlie) this is just a prototype from a CAD drawing.

View attachment 80905

I respect and appreciate your experience Martin. Like Mike above I have never experienced colour transfer but it would be not only ridiculous but dangerous to advise on polishing something I'm not certain about. I thought I knew more about fibreglass than I do or should. (y)

Jan 19, 2013
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2010
Wow, thanks ...... quite a debate !
The Burstner is white ..... very white on the painted aluminium sides, and an off-white on the GRP front & rear.
Sorry if I confused when I mentioned colour transfer. (or the lack of it to be precise ) Think I was just confirming that it could not have been painted as there was no transfer, therefore I was quite happy to continue with the Farecla gel coat restorer & wax. The rear was very dull with no 'sheen' at all.
After 2 applications there is now a mild sheen. (not evident due to the dull conditions in the photo)

So many thanks, I've now got the answer I needed thanks ..... so gonna order some Colinite 476.

FullSizeRender-14.jpg

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
The Burstner is white ..... very white on the painted aluminium sides, and an off-white on the GRP front & rear.
Sorry if I confused when I mentioned colour transfer. (or the lack of it to be precise ) Think I was just confirming that it could not have been painted as there was no transfer, therefore I was quite happy to continue with the Farecla gel coat restorer & wax. The rear was very dull with no 'sheen' at all.
After 2 applications there is now a mild sheen. (not evident due to the dull conditions in the photo)

So many thanks, I've now got the answer I needed thanks ..... so gonna order some Colinite 476.

View attachment 80918

It just proves that there is no such thing as a a simple answer to a simple question.

Martin

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie

View attachment 80918

I firmly maintain that the suitable wax MUST have good durability when it's considered the size of the vehicle and how long it takes to wax it. Colinite is a very very long durability wax. It also gives a nice deep shine.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I respect and appreciate your experience Martin. Like Mike above I have never experienced colour transfer but it would be not only ridiculous but dangerous to advise on polishing something I'm not certain about. I thought I knew more about fibreglass than I do or should. (y)

Hopefully we get the chance to talk this subject to death over a beer sometime as in reality there are too many variables to sort it out on here.

Martin

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
@Charlie do you rate the Colinite wax above Autoglym HD, up to buying the latest car I have always used Autoglym super resin polish and been happy with the finish and water shedding and I had never concidered that I was polishing not waxing but I do take your point re the difference, HD is my first wax since turtle wax about 35 years ago and is certainly easy and economical to apply.

Martin

Dec 28, 2015
lake district
Funster No
MH
low profile mh
Exp
Since 2015
A bit of a variation on the polish issue. We have a brand new Swift that is like a dirt magnet. Constantly lined with black streaks. We followed another motorhome through a diy wash and he pressure washed all the dirt off. We had to use a cloth or brush between washes. Normally use snow foam wash followed by maguires polish

Apr 8, 2015
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
15 years
Hi David from Jack in a Box, I read your post and assumed if you ran a detailing business you probably knew what you were talking about. You do. I sent for some Klasse all in one (blimey not cheap) and used it The motorhome looks fantastic and I look knackered. Seriously though for the little effort you have to put in this product is brilliant. (no pun intended) they also do another product you can apply over the top to give a deep gloss wet look finish. Cant wait to try that one . Thanks for your help.
Fred

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
When we picked up our new MH I was told by the chap responsible for cleaning the sellers vans that the best polish for a good surface is the original Pledge; in fact that was what he was using. We did not talk about restoring a finish only maintaining an already good or new one. It seems to work :).

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
A bit of a variation on the polish issue. We have a brand new Swift that is like a dirt magnet. Constantly lined with black streaks. We followed another motorhome through a diy wash and he pressure washed all the dirt off. We had to use a cloth or brush between washes. Normally use snow foam wash followed by maguires polish

My proferred method of cleaning is to use Fenwicks Motorhome Cleaner followed by Fenwicks Bobby Dazzler.
It really works and helps to keep the dirt off.
Polishing and waxing a different issue though

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
My proferred method of cleaning is to use Fenwicks Motorhome Cleaner followed by Fenwicks Bobby Dazzler.
It really works and helps to keep the dirt off.
Polishing and waxing a different issue though
Has your forum name got anything to do with this preference?

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
Has your forum name got anything to do with this preference?

Lol ........no, i washed my van today.....perfect weather.........and it really does make it it easy and economical..........and it look right when its done.

I know the experts amongst us know of and can use all sorts of fancy brands and products, but in my opinion you can't go wrong with this stuff it is made for motorhomes and caravans and it does what it says it will do.

I may well be researching soon what polish and wax to use.

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
If using Fenwick or other caravan/motor home cleaners make sure you read and abide by the dilution instructions. Using too much can and will damage your van. Bobby dazzler is an aqua wax, as is Demonshine, which can help to maintain a good finish but is no substitute for a good wax.

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
Yes......i agree thats what makes it so economical to use.......i have had the same bottles for 2 1/2 years since my van was new and i have 1/2 a bottle of each.

What would you recommend as a wax/polish to give it a good bit of protection both on the fibreglass parts as well as the metal parts.

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
You can't go wrong with Colonite 476S, see Charlie post on how to apply properly. If you want something a bit easier to apply but may not last as long then Mequiars Marine wax. Neither really cheap but they do a good job.

Jan 19, 2013
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2010
Wow ..... its been over 3 years since I was part of this debate !

Unfortunately, I need more Farecla ........ BUT .......
Has anyone been able to buy the "Farecla gel coat restorer with wax" product lately ?? I cannot find anyone selling it ?????

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
I don't think they do a combined one anymore,two stage process now so they can make more money! Martin @funflair put a photo of the two he uses from the Profile range on here a while ago but I can't find it :(

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
This one came recommended to me as a bit of cut and wax all in one and as a replacement for the Farecla Gel coat restorer and wax, not tried it though.

I bought a polisher recently and it came with Meguires medium and fine compounds and polishing pads, I finished it with Colonite 476s as I had read so much about it, looks good to me.

Martin

Nov 29, 2018
Formby
Funster No
MH
Don’t own one yet
Exp
I decided to buy some of the Klasse All in One this week
All i can say is what a FANTASTIC product thanks for sharing
Hi Spike
1/Just wondering what size bottle of kasse all in one to buy , what size is your van , How much did you have to use ?
( somebody mentioned there would be hard work involved with an all in one product, did you find this to be the case
2/ did you also use the Klasse sealant glaze after the
all in one ?
Thanks

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back