LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
We have changed our Autosleeper for a Rapido and I am contemplating adding a shelf in the'under the bed' area, to store stuff, I was wondering about the strength of the plywood as compared to chipboard, weight and strength being issues, along with potential water issues...

Any suggestions?

Ta

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
plywood is stronger without a doubt. As to water issues either use marine ply or use the loo like everyone else:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

M1TCH

Free Member
May 15, 2011
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Dont use Chipboard, i would use far eastern ply if using ply but if it were me i would go for MDF damp is not an issue ive left off cuts out side all winter and it has not fallen in bits so inside a van will be ok the other benefit is if you have edges showing it can be routed or sanded without the laminated grain showing its not as strong as ply but if bearers are used no problems if you do go for MDF and your cutting it wear a mask Gray.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
MDF will sag and be a lot heavier than ply :winky: How big an area ? are you making a frame from 2 x 1 etc
terry

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
3/4 marine ply for most stuff, but will still sag if loaded with heavy gear..

Alternativley Balsa wood for lightness... :winky::ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Attached a very rough idea, I am happy to have supporting legs. The idea is to store things like chairs, tables below the shelf, so that they can be left there without being disturbed.

Attachments

• VAN shelf.jpg
    VAN shelf.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 94

M1TCH

Free Member
May 15, 2011
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
All sheet materials will sag if not adequately supported its a balance between weight and strength Gray. also time served joiner.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
as the only access would I sssume be by lifting the shelf, have you the room? and it would mean moving everything on the shelf. Maybe a sliding Drawer would be better, or even wood slats connected with webbing like the bed.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
For strength and lightness I would build a frame with cross members and cover with 9mm plywood.. or a frame with slats .. depending on it's intended use.

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
3/4 marine ply for most stuff, but will still sag if loaded with heavy gear..

Alternativley Balsa wood for lightness... :winky::ROFLMAO:

Wow..........Mo yours is heavy gear....well you do have an American Rv..

shitzz...Dave,..What is going to placed on top of the new shelf!, if it is just cloths, shoes....1/4" (6mm)........to 3/8" (9mm) if needed, will be ok.....if the items are going to be heavy-ish then go to 1/2" (12mm)maximum unless you are talking something like two 110amp batteries!! then go to Mo's size:Eeek:..also how large a piece of ply are we talking about without any structure /bearers underneath for support....... I would go for exterior, marine or far eastern...the more layers of ply the better....or a very light frame with 1/8 (3 to 4 mm) will still be a very strong shelf glued and pinned....just think of the interior flush door two layers of 3mm ply or hardboard glued to cardboard honeycomb inside very strong and light......NO to Chipboard Dense and heavy and will not like any condensation..Don't forget the weight!!!!!problem

Mel

Last edited:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
If you make a frame out of 2x1 and stick to 18 ins centers then you can use 1/8ins/ 3 mm ply which will hold plenty of weight and be very light to lift/shift in and out :thumb:::bigsmile:
terry

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
If you make a frame out of 2x1 and stick to 18 ins centers then you can use 1/8ins/ 3 mm ply which will hold plenty of weight and be very light to lift/shift in and out :thumb:::bigsmile:
terry

I agree with Terry....simple frame thin layer glued and pinned....should take all the odds and sods you will put on it:thumb:

Mel

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I wanted a shelf for the Luton so that we could store bedding on top and other stuff below. Obviously had to be light up there. I solved the problem by buying a three section garden lounger similar to .. Mine was from Asda and cost a couple of quid less but it was 3 or 4 years ago. Works fine and can be removed easily if required.

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
We have changed our Autosleeper for a Rapido and I am contemplating adding a shelf in the'under the bed' area, to store stuff, I was wondering about the strength of the plywood as compared to chipboard, weight and strength being issues, along with potential water issues...

Any suggestions?

Ta

Is this really a "Fat Druid with bed wetting problem" thread?

OP
OP
ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Hi Roger.

The access to the storage space would be from outside? See attached.

Attachments

• Under the bed..jpg
    Under the bed..jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 29

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
The access to the storage space would be from outside? See attached.

Dear Mr ShiftZZ... I would suggest a half shelf with a front lip to stop things falling off....

And stow your chairs etc on the floor/bottom shelf...

I sincerely suggest this idea as opposed to a full length/width shelf as you will restrict your entry through the door to put obstacles of a large size.. if you half the space at entry....:thumb::ROFLMAO:

Now you didn`t think being a nutter that I would come up with a sensible suggestion, did you? :Tongue1::winky:

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
We have changed our Autosleeper for a Rapido and I am contemplating adding a shelf in the'under the bed' area, to store stuff, I was wondering about the strength of the plywood as compared to chipboard, weight and strength being issues, [HI]along with potential water issues...
[/HI]
Any suggestions?

Ta

That would be a waterbed then?:thumb:

OP
OP
ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Hi Mel.

Picked it up on Saturday, Mrs ShiftZZ spent days emptying Horace and when it was delivered to the dealer, it was spotless.

We are going through the 'snag' list, and now hoping to get Mark CLS to install some extras etc..

ShiftZZ

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Hi Mel.

Picked it up on Saturday, Mrs ShiftZZ spent days emptying Horace and when it was delivered to the dealer, it was spotless.

We are going through the 'snag' list, and now hoping to get Mark CLS to install some extras etc..

ShiftZZ

Great :thumb: Hope you like it...Mel

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Honestly! Don't mess about with selves! Get a couple of those collapsable crates for all your small stuff, put your chairs table your long stuff, etc etc on top of them.

Good grief man! sharpen up! We didn't get an Empire fannying about with bits of ply!, and if you let a superior being get her hands on it, (Mrs S ) you will find you even have room for a Cadac as well!

I got the same space as you, and thats how I've got mine stored:thumb:

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Hilda, are you sure you have given this enough thought. 4cups has "re arranged" our underbed space severeal times. No, don't try to understand this behaviour it is a "woman" thing.
Had I put a shelf in, it would have had to be taken out and altered many times to suit her whim at any given moment in time.
I am not sure why they do this, she says to pack things in better. Personally I believe it is part of the female plot to keep us confused.

Hope this helps, regards Munchie. :Eeek:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Hi Mel.

Ooooh. Painted it in strips did she? Well, at least it will be different :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back