Plymouth to Santander (1 Viewer)

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
It's more money but a Commodore cabin is even better as you have a fridge for your beer(y)
The difference in price would buy a lot of beer at the bar,,,BUSBY.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
There's a slight snag with that Rangitira ! There often is no horizon visible; either it is dark or the waves are so huge ( big enough to break over the windows on deck 8 ) that you can't see any horizon between them. It gets bad enough that BF advise passengers not to move around the boat, state that they take no responsibility for injury if passengers do move around the boat, and will not allow passengers on outside decks. Even if you are not prone to sea sickness simply maintaining your balance long enough to get undressed and brush your teeth is more than can comfortably be done and firmly planting your feet is not possible. If you've not experienced weightlessness then take a BF cruise. It can get very rough.

I am a lucky bugger,,13 crossings mainly in winter and not a bad crossing.:):)BUSBY

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: f6c

Eeyore

Free Member
Oct 28, 2010
Funster No
The worst we have ever had was in August. The best, flat calm and sunshine, was 7th January. We have had mainly awful ones and think we might give up and go overland.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
You have to - no choice!
You don't have to you can have a reclining chair but i like having a cabin.Part of my holiday and i am only spending my Kids money. More i spend less they get. BUSBY:D:D

parigby

Free Member
Aug 20, 2009
Ludlow
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
20 years
As a Ménière's disease sufferer for the past forty five years, l know just a little bit about what we call motion sickness. The suggestion re: Stugeron, is a good one - take it, it works. The eyes and feet conflict is spot on - solution get yourself into a sitting or lying down position and find the nearest false horizon - top of door, top of television set etc - anything with a straight line - and just look at it. As the boat shifts it's position relative to straight, the false horizon moves and your eyes automatically follow it, which means the balance mechanism in your inner ear also follows it, and the feeling of motion sickness subsides to reasonable levels.

This from a man who more than once had to be removed from an plane on a stretcher at the end of the flight, before the diagnosis of Ménière's disease.

Reactions: DBK

mustaphapint

Free Member
Oct 9, 2015
Worcestershire and Brittany
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Just starting
Sea sickness is a peculiar phenomenon. My first trip at sea was on a RN frigate. We came back back from Norway in a force 9 and the ship was being thrown around violently. I was one of the few who didn't feel ill. My next trip was in a slightly larger frigate in much calmer seas but the slow roll made me one of the few who who did suffer for much of the trip. I've never felt ill since and I've done the BF trip across the Bay of Biscay many times now. But yes a cabin will definitely make the crossing more enjoyable, (or more bearable if you are ill).
Paul

Tincataylor

Free Member
Jul 9, 2012
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Never leave a campsite with your clothes line tied to a lamp post.
Definitely get a cabin and if in doubt take Sturgeron. Mrs Tinca has always suffered from motion sickness but Sturgeron has certainly sorted her out. Mind you swallowing a prehistoric fish is quite difficult so we recommend starting with a small one and working up to one about a foot long 4 hours before departure.

The Tincas

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Rougher the better for me, never been travel sick and find it rocks me to sleep....:D

crabman

Free Member
Mar 31, 2016
Anglesey Wales
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
There's a slight snag with that Rangitira ! There often is no horizon visible; either it is dark or the waves are so huge ( big enough to break over the windows on deck 8 ) that you can't see any horizon between them. It gets bad enough that BF advise passengers not to move around the boat, state that they take no responsibility for injury if passengers do move around the boat, and will not allow passengers on outside decks. Even if you are not prone to sea sickness simply maintaining your balance long enough to get undressed and brush your teeth is more than can comfortably be done and firmly planting your feet is not possible. If you've not experienced weightlessness then take a BF cruise. It can get very rough.

aye ye landlubbers if its rough then your spewing and feeling like crap, been on these crossing many times on ferries and fishing boats like a lot of members on here, once fishing in the North Sea it was so rough I was on the same wave for a week :D at one time I really did think we would never touch dry land again, oh the joy of Terra Firma

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back