Plymouth/Santander Ferry Cancelled 8 May (1 Viewer)

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
yes i only visit . take things i know are cheaper in uk . bring home things i know are cheap in spain .
havent bought beer ,wine or spirits in uk for years . last autumn i went back to spain still on spanish diesel . i do have huge tanks and mainly only use petrol here as i try to use my m,bike alot when in uk.
but for travelling around all eu as got dear for food clothes etc and vehicle parts are really expensive in eu.

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
The marine traffic website says she now heading for Brest, ETA 11:00 this morning. This must be where they are hopefully, going to fix it.

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Just had a call from BF and we are now on the ferry from Portsmouth on Tuesday which goes to Santander. This is a scheduled sailing on the Pont Aven so I assume whatever is wrong with her can be fixed in time.

I expect she will be packed to the gunnels with all the displaced passengers! :eek:

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
We're not now on the Portsmouth ferry as that has been cancelled. Looks like they have major problems with the ship. Looking for a crossing to France now. Chin up! :)

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Here's your solution @DBK :

Terra Wind

The Terra Wind is a first class motor coach that is as comfortable on the lake as it is on the land with a highway speed of up to 80 mph and up to 7 knots on the water.

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I think "Terror Wind" would be a better name if the seas were rough!

But it looks like we will be going to Roscoff. The phones to BF are permanently busy but communicating with them via Twitter direct messages is getting a quick response*. Hope @pyro sees this.

*Never thought I would be grateful for Twitter!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: kcy
OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
We are now on the 23:00 sailing from Plymouth to Roscoff tonight. Also got the refund on the difference on the ticket price plus £170 contribution towards fuel. Good work from Brittany Ferries I think, mechanical problems can't really be helped and they are working hard to try and reschedule passengers but I don't think everyone is happy looking at the Twitter conversations. The folk coming from Cork in Ireland expecting to arrive in Roscoff have been unloaded at Brest which must be a bit inconvenient for any foot passengers.

Al-Di

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 15, 2014
prestwich
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil A Class
Exp
since 2013
People arriving here(Cabercano) for today's boat are being told the earliest then can go is next week as all sailings are fully booked or then can go to Canne we are lucky as oursis from Bilbo's on Wednesday

Reactions: DBK

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
My cousin had the same problem and had to catch the Portsmouth St Malo last night and drive down owing to time constraints. Considering all the petrol it will work out about the same cost. Just driving for 12 hours instead of being on a cruise !

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
My cousin had the same problem and had to catch the Portsmouth St Malo last night and drive down owing to time constraints. Considering all the petrol it will work out about the same cost. Just driving for 12 hours instead of being on a cruise !
They've given me £170 towards fuel and refunded the difference between the two tickets. And we got upgraded to an outside cabin with TV and a kettle! Not a lot to see out of the porthole at night but it was a nice gesture. We were originally allocated the same type of cabin as we had originally booked but I sent them a message thanking them for sorting me out - and within minutes they had sent a revised booking with the better cabin. It pays to be nice sometimes. :)

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
They've given me £170 towards fuel and refunded the difference between the two tickets. And we got upgraded to an outside cabin with TV and a kettle! Not a lot to see out of the porthole at night but it was a nice gesture. We were originally allocated the same type of cabin as we had originally booked but I sent them a message thanking them for sorting me out - and within minutes they had sent a revised booking with the better cabin. It pays to be nice sometimes. :)
Cousin got an updated cabin as well and after everything its only going to cost them 110 nicker instead 450 ish. They were well happy with the kettle ! Should have landed by now and halfway down France

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
(y)(y)

I don't think you can really fault them. They always seem to step up and just do their best to sort the problem out.
We have always found them a great company to deal with. They always have a 'can do' attitude(y)

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
@DBK , a bit of an update if you haven'y heard.
"According to the French press the ferry had to be towed into Brest where 1100 passangers were disembarked at 12.30 and advised to make their own arrangements
The ferry was sailing from Ireland.
They are carrying out a survey on Monday to assess the damage which is to the port propellor shaft.
The ship may have to go into dry dock to have the work carried out."
I'd start thinking of an alternative to be on the safe side.

@gus-lopez was spot on, from the marine traffic website she is now in the dry dock. The blue boat shaped thing in the picture below is the Pont Aven.

Screenshot_20160510-173235~2.png

rrusty

Free Member
Dec 4, 2009
Scotland
Funster No
MH
None sold sept 2019
Exp
Just heard our ferry to Santander on Sunday is cancelled, nothing available until 22nd May. They are trying to get us to France and then drive to Spain.

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
I have a reservation to be on this ship next Thursday. What are the chances?

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Just heard our ferry to Santander on Sunday is cancelled, nothing available until 22nd May. They are trying to get us to France and then drive to Spain.
My sympathies, sounds like they have a major problem. I'm doing the drive to Spain at this moment, well not literally, we've finished for the day and I am enjoying a glass of wine.

I have already come to the conclusion it is a very long way and the boat is infinitely preferable! However, if we didn't have a deadline there is a lot see on the way and we could easily dawdle on this route and seek out the sights.

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I have a reservation to be on this ship next Thursday. What are the chances?
Try calling them - you should be able to get through now I hope. The phones were jammed solid over the weekend and Monday. The only way I could communicate with them was on Twitter - which worked fine.

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
Try calling them - you should be able to get through now I hope. The phones were jammed solid over the weekend and Monday. The only way I could communicate with them was on Twitter - which worked fine.

Social media gone crazy!

I am quite laid back about it although I would like them to get me over to France. Not bothered at all about returning :)

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
I have already come to the conclusion it is a very long way and the boat is infinitely preferable! However, if we didn't have a deadline there is a lot see on the way and we could easily dawdle on this route and seek out the sights

Our thought exactly, when we returned from Spain via Caen, in March. We gave ourselves a week to do the journey, and thought that if we'd have had 3 weeks it would have been OK. As it was, we found it to be a bit of a trek.

Like you, we enjoy the Santander crossing, but we booked one way only, and then couldn't get a return crossing that could accommodate the dog.

Enjoy your well-earned wine, and the rest of your adventure.

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Just thought I'd update this. BF have now cancelled all sailings up to 25 May and the ship remains in dry dock. :(

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
Our thought exactly, when we returned from Spain via Caen, in March. We gave ourselves a week to do the journey, and thought that if we'd have had 3 weeks it would have been OK. As it was, we found it to be a bit of a trek.

Like you, we enjoy the Santander crossing, but we booked one way only, and then couldn't get a return crossing that could accommodate the dog.

Enjoy your well-earned wine, and the rest of your adventure.
sometimes if you ask they let you keep the dog in the camper . i very often did this . i could arrange the door to be opened on the garage to walk the dog .
i first did it coming back for my fathers funeral . we had to bring the crossing forward , the kennels were full . i challenged them about at one time you could leave the dog in the camper . they said i will check and after that my dog never saw a kennel. worth asking .

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
the first time they even returned the kennel money. later they charged but my dog never saw a kennel . if there wasnt kennels then i offered to pay but not have one . sometimes they charged sometimes at a reduced rate . usually the burser would be called he inspected the vehicle to make sure it wasnt cramped . like i said we live for 6 months in it it was her home .

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Out of action until the end May according to the BBC Devon News website:

"Brittany Ferry Pont Aven will stay out of action for next fortnight
Posted at16:20

Brittany Ferries says its flagship Pont Aven will be out of action until the end of May while its propeller is repaired.

6c222ac8-969a-467d-aacc-16886ac769de.jpg

BBC
The company has apologised unreservedly after a number of crossings to Santander had to be cancelled.

Passengers are being offered a full refund or the option of taking an alternative crossing. It means some people due to travel to Spain are having to sail to North West France and drive down instead. "

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back