Ply ceiling panels

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by Bruce, Dec 2, 2012.

1. Bruce

Bruce Read Only Funster

Hi can anybody advise if i can bond ply panels to the ceiling area of my camper? There are ribbed sections on the top of my mk5 so the top cupboards have a gap where the ribs are so I thought I would take the original covering off and ply so it will be a straight edge My question is ,can I bond the ceiling with the likes of Sikaflex or Evostick to eliminate self tapping screws . I want to use Veltrim so I dont want any self tappers that would not stick or would show under the Veltrim,

Thanks for any help............Bruce

2. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

A picture or two is worth a 1000 words here.

Stikaflex being thick and gap filling should do it provided you can hold in place for a long time for it to cure.

Just the opposite with evostick, it might go off before you can position it properly.

What's wrong with good old panel pins, punched home then filled dead flat ? With stikaflex ?

3. Terry

Terry Funster

Hi Bruce, why not simply buy ready faced vynil ply board's from Olearys /20 quid a sheet and simply stick that on job done You can also order a couple of the 2 pice H section joint strips andOlearys own carabond at the same time:thumb:It will look a more professional job and work out cheaper and less work :thumb:
    Oh forgot yes you can stick it straight on top of your board's
    Terry
    Edit just read HD post if useing Sikaflex or olearys both have good grab properties so you should be able to simply push a sheet up and it will hold in position
    If doing the job on your own get a bit of 2 x 1 timber and make a T piece to help hold it

Last edited: Dec 2, 2012
  4. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

As I recall, you are converting a minibus?

if you plan to run cables through the ceiling, then always leave panels easily removable say with screws for access. other areas you can bond the panels to the metal or wooden ribs with sikaflex or nomorenails both have excellent properties. evostick has a tendancy to come unstuck with heat...like in a closed van on a summer day.....been there made that mistake myself