Plugging MH into domestic supply (1 Viewer)

Sep 11, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2013
We'll be moving in a few months to a property that needs major refurb and isn't fit to move straight in.

May be in touch @ianthebuilder if you fancy a spot of work down on the Sussex coast.

So we'll be living in the motorhome on the drive for a month or so. Is it OK to take power from a standard 3 pin plug to the motorhome? Do I need a special adaptor?

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
No problem!
You should really use an RCD if the socket isn't already protected though.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
We'll be moving in a few months to a property that needs major refurb and isn't fit to move straight in.

May be in touch @ianthebuilder if you fancy a spot of work down on the Sussex coast.

So we'll be living in the motorhome on the drive for a month or so. Is it OK to take power from a standard 3 pin plug to the motorhome? Do I need a special adaptor?
You'll need a pig-tail, similar to this:

But other than that, no problems. I hookup ours to the domestic supply all the time, especially in the winter, just to keep it warm inside.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DigglyDog

Free Member
Jan 25, 2016
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 620 SE
Exp
No problem!
You should really use an RCD if the socket isn't already protected though.
Seconded !! Most important to have isolation if required.
Also please make sure you get a British made pig tail - not a cheap chinese copy..
Usual cable rules apply - ie unwind all of it..

If you're having a lot of work done, why not prioritise a proper hookup installation and use that.

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
Or if like me, you have spare orange cable, just cut the blue plug off at the required length and fit a standard 3 pin domestic plug. Mine plugs in just inside the garage door, the weather seal on the bottom of the roller door forms nicely round the cable and no extra cable to unreel.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Just bear in mind a 13A plug is rated and fused at 13 amps ... not 16A

I would consider having a 16A weatherproof socket fitted on the outside by the drive.. useful for future motorhome use... unless of course you plan on selling it once the house is complete

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back