Plug in/electricity question

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by The Camper, Dec 12, 2015.

1. The Camper

The Camper Funster

I am after a bit of knowledge/experience of someone more in the know about electricity.

I am on a site in Spain with hook up and I get 6 amps + 6kwh a day.

My fridge/freezer says in the book that it uses 190 watts – so I make that 190 x 24 = 4560 kWh

So I am left with about 1 ½ kWh for the day, am I correct so far?

My other issue is that on plug in my Hymer automatically charges both the 2 110amp leisure battery and the starter battery – anyone any idea how much that uses without any lights/appliances being used.

I also have a solar panel is the system likely to still draw from the solar and use less of the plug in leccy?

We are here for a month so I wouldn’t like to have to sell the van to pay the extra leccy used during our stay :)

• Like Like x 1
  2. Badknee

Badknee Funster

Someone will be along with better maths for the electrickery stuff but if you have solar that should charge you batteries so they won't be using any leccy.

3. Doctor Dave

Doctor Dave Funster

4. SuperMike

SuperMike Read Only Funster

Technically your maths are almost correct, except the decimal point is in the wrong place. :xsurprised: However, the fridge will not run 24hrs per day as the thermostat should switch it off at the correct temperature. Also the Chargers consumption will change as the batteries reach full charge. I would not worry about it, as in warmer climbs, we have never had any trouble with such a supply.

• Like Like x 1
  5. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Your fridge theoretical maximum power consumption is 4.56 kWh (not 4560kWh) per 24hrs ..

but it' s not on permanently.. it cycles on and off so won't use the full amount.. but the total used will depend on a) ambient and b) how often the door is opened and c) how much food is in the fridge.. so not an easy calculation.. i'd guestimate about 50% of the total ..

but check the Dometic site for your specific fridge specs.. it usually gives the power used in 24hrs.

The Solar panel (depending on size ) should provide enough 12v to keep the battery charged with little draw on the 230v mains..

For future.. you can buy a domestic power meter that will monitor and show on a display exactly what you are using.. I had one in my RV.. made by Owl .. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Owl-CM160...ss-/221960336676?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368

it's an easy install.. the transmitter clips over the mains incoming cable .. either on red or black core.. makes no odds

• Like Like x 1
  6. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

For a start the 190 draw on the fridge freezer will be maximum so wont be doing this all the time.

last time we were in Spain we had 5kWh per day battery charger switched off so solar could do its job, so running fridge/freezer and occasional water heating and microwave hair dryer essentials we were OK, I actually ran on the solar panels and inverter in the morning while we were around and then plugged back in as we went out so our use was about 3kWh per day.

On one site we had a meter at the plug point so could read each day, on the other you just ask at reception for your readings as it was all computerised, once you have studied it for a while you will get a feel for it.

Martin

• Like Like x 1
  7. tonka

tonka Funster Life Member

As Supermike says... Once the fridge is a temperature with the door closed it uses much less, it's not running 24 hours a day at that rate.. If you left the door open then it would take 190 watts all the time..
    6kw a day is quite good :)

• Like Like x 1
  8. Chipster

Chipster Funster Life Member

forget my last one. Thought fridge was on 12v. Doh.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

I always run fridge on gas..cheaper and more efficient

10. The Camper

The Camper Funster

The leccy is in the price so it’s cheaper not to use the gas :)

• Like Like x 6