Pleased with MPG (1 Viewer)

Nov 23, 2015
cleethorpes
Funster No
MH
IH630RL
Exp
10 years
cleethorpes /broadway /malvern /bognor regis /cleethorpes . autotrail comanche 2.3 150 bhp 5 ton. average27mpg happy with this . put some forte additive in before trip . wind behind me on the way home today , happy bunny

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
update..

another 42 lt of standard diesel ,(couldn't find Shell V power,) and now done a total 490 miles .. this was mostly over Welsh hills, twisty roads, lots of 3rd and 4th gear and even 2nd gear on parts of some climbs , rarely into 5th ..

just did a quick check.. overall it's 27 MPG so still happy ..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
update..

another 42 lt of standard diesel ,(couldn't find Shell V power,) and now done a total 490 miles .. this was mostly over Welsh hills, twisty roads, lots of 3rd and 4th gear and even 2nd gear on parts of some climbs , rarely into 5th ..

just did a quick check.. overall it's 27 MPG so still happy ..
I'm frankly staggered. I cruise at a satnav 65mph and see 23 - 24 or 20 - 22 towing the trailer. It's probably worse than that because at a true 65 my speedo thinks I'm doing 72. (2005 B584).

Peter Sansom

Free Member
May 22, 2015
peebles
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 610
Exp
A relative newbie...ex caravanner
I just use the gizmo on the display, which tells me that no matter what speed, headwind/tailwind, uphill/downhill, rain dance, or whatever that it's 27.8MPG. Occasionally it blips up or down .1 and I get excited but what's on it right now?...yup, 27.8!

Peter Sansom

Free Member
May 22, 2015
peebles
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 610
Exp
Blimey Jim,
That's about a tankful for me!!Having said that the new transit always seems to spill the first half litre on the ground,don't know why!!:rolleyes:
Are you pushing the nozzle right down into the opening? Ours is the new Transit too and I found the same until I realised that with the safety type nozzle that's what you need to do to get it to work

Phil.1300

Free Member
Jan 12, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I'm a newbie
I'v just got a Frankia 3.0ltr 6 speed and i'm bugerd if i want to know how many miles to a gallon i'm getting

Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
Are you pushing the nozzle right down into the opening? Ours is the new Transit too and I found the same until I realised that with the safety type nozzle that's what you need to do to get it to work

Why I like this forum so much!!
I marked your post in reply to me as useful and remembered what you said on my last fill up and perfect did not spill a drop,in fact whilst filling also noted three small stickers in the filler cap graphically describing what you told me correctly!!
I am going to claim that during the handover I asked the dealer why I found a plastic funnel in the door pocket,he said was necessary for refueling!!I said to Andrea afterwards after the first spillage,this is madness,can't imagine every white van man doing this every fill.
Goes to show,you are never too old to learn and even us seasoned drivers don't see everything,gonna try and claim back the last spilt litres from the supplying dealer.:rolleyes:
Thanks again.

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
Our new van (2500 miles) averaged 26 mpg over 2000 miles this summer, using 'normal' diesel. It's a 2.3 150 comfortmatic ducato.
Will try v power and see if any difference.

We also have a 2.3 150 comfortmatic ducato (7000 miles) and average 26 mpg using "normal" diesel

Melvin

Free Member
Jan 22, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
On & off since 1974
I've got Peugeot with the ford engine ,the dash displays says I'm getting 29.3 mpg overal,which I'm very happy with. I'm not a fast driver having driven buses ,coaches and trucks for aliving ,60 mph is my cruising speed on motorways and I don't accelerate hard .

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
I did once do a careful check comparing "premium" fuel to the standard supermarket stuff. I discovered using the "good" fuel I was indeed getting an improved consumption (and the motor sounded smoother) but it was mirrored almost exactly by the increased cost. I repeated it on my (diesel) car with similar results.

Nowadays I tend to stick to the bog standard diesel but will occasionally treat it to a tankful of premium to give it a bit of a clean out.

Edit - I cruise at around 62 mph indicated = 58 mph on the satnav get a consistent 27.8 mpg (real measures, not using the computer which is very optimistic). 2007 2.3

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
We've noticed that our 30mpg drops massively if there is a strong headwind, also that if we increase our average speed from 60mph to 70mph then the performance drops to about 23mpg, which is shocking taking into account its only 10 more mph
Which is why I stick to just under 60. What I don't understand is why most 'green' Germans do 80-90 + MPH in their motorhomes, they must be getting about 15 MPG or less.

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I don't understand is why most 'green' Germans do 80-90 + MPH in their motorhomes,

obvious innit...

it's called blitz-lounger.. to bag the best loungers

towels-in-the-colours-of-the-german-flag-are-used-to-reserve-sun-loungers-DCWC3T.jpg

Peter Sansom

Free Member
May 22, 2015
peebles
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 610
Exp
Why I like this forum so much!!
I marked your post in reply to me as useful and remembered what you said on my last fill up and perfect did not spill a drop,in fact whilst filling also noted three small stickers in the filler cap graphically describing what you told me correctly!!
I am going to claim that during the handover I asked the dealer why I found a plastic funnel in the door pocket,he said was necessary for refueling!!I said to Andrea afterwards after the first spillage,this is madness,can't imagine every white van man doing this every fill.
Goes to show,you are never too old to learn and even us seasoned drivers don't see everything,gonna try and claim back the last spilt litres from the supplying dealer.:rolleyes:
Thanks again.
Every little helps!

Hymie

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Classic Hymer B564
Exp
Since 1981
Been reading this thread with interest, got a little B564 Fiat 2.5TD, 114000 miles, spent 3 weeks thrashing it at 70-80 down to Cambrils and central Spain and back up through Brittany, I was surprised at the low fuel consumption.

I have a large Thule top box on the roof which I constantly debate with myself about removing, I take it this would make a difference if removed.

Filled it to first click last fill, and zeroed odometer,showed full, drove from Braintree to Canvey then from Braintree to Acle, back via West Stow and haven't exceeded 60 mph.

Gauge is just knocking on half a tank, won't get to do much mileage for a few weeks now as we stay on a CL 8 miles from her parking place.

Being a bit on the dim side, if I fill to first click and use odometer reading divided by fill amount do I extrapolate a rough consumption figure this way after converting litres to gallons?

Hymie

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I have a large Thule top box on the roof which I constantly debate with myself about removing, I take it this would make a difference if removed.

that would make a big difference.. maybe reducing your MPG by up to one third !!

.. if not needed get it off ..

The research showed that fitting a roof box could mean your car’s fuel efficiency will be reduced by just more than a third from the figures quoted by the manufacturer.

http://www.whatcar.com/news/real-world-mpg-true-cost-attaching-roof-box/

Deleted User
Convert litres to gallons, divide by 4.546.

Mileage divided by this figure will give you a fairly accurate mpg figure not a rough one.

Peter Sansom

Free Member
May 22, 2015
peebles
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 610
Exp
obvious innit...

it's called blitz-lounger.. to bag the best loungers

towels-in-the-colours-of-the-german-flag-are-used-to-reserve-sun-loungers-DCWC3T.jpg
Been reading this thread with interest, got a little B564 Fiat 2.5TD, 114000 miles, spent 3 weeks thrashing it at 70-80 down to Cambrils and central Spain and back up through Brittany, I was surprised at the low fuel consumption.

Filled it to first click last fill, and zeroed odometer,showed full, drove from Braintree to Canvey then from Braintree to Acle, back via West Stow and haven't exceeded 60 mph.

Gauge is just knocking on half a tank, won't get to do much mileage for a few weeks now as we stay on a CL 8 miles from her parking place.

Being a bit on the dim side, if I fill to first click and use odometer reading divided by fill amount do I extrapolate a rough consumption figure this way after converting litres to gallons?

Hymie

Peter Sansom

Free Member
May 22, 2015
peebles
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 610
Exp
I forgot to say, when I brimmed it in Woodbridge it was with Shell super duper V power diesel.. don't normally buy it, but went into a pump with no other choice.. .. .. so gave it a treat ..

so perhaps the V power diesel does improve MPG ..
Just don't buy it from a motorway filling station, at their prices it would probably wipe out any so called savings you made on it!

Peter Sansom

Free Member
May 22, 2015
peebles
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 610
Exp
Zey are fiendishly clever zese Chermans, mit zere vays of utilising the Deutchlander flaggen toweler! Nicht?

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Just don't buy it from a motorway filling station, at their prices it would probably wipe out any so called savings you made on it!

Interestingly, Shell don't claim it increases MPG.. and I wouldn't use it in future just to save money...

there is a lot more to it than saving a few pence.. it's about maintaining an engine at it's peak performance .. which in turn 'may' improve MPG .. a bonus.

It is designed to restore and maintain engine power through active engine protection.

Shell V-Power Nitro+ Diesel is formulated with a powerful cleaning agent designed to prevent and remove performance robbing engine deposits that can be left behind by non-premium fuels. Our advanced formulation is designed to work under the extreme conditions of the fuel injection system, breaking down and cleaning-away harmful gunky deposits.

Shell V-Power Nitro+ Diesel is designed to form a protective film on metal surfaces, which decreases the corrosion rate, helping to protect precision fuel system components.*

Peter Sansom

Free Member
May 22, 2015
peebles
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 610
Exp
Sounds like you don't need it until you've clocked up a good few miles then

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Sounds like you don't need it until you've clocked up a good few miles then

In fact the opposite..

Use from day one and it will keep your engine like new.. no build up of nasty deposits

on an old engine like mine, the benefit / improvement may take a while.. several tanks perhaps..

when it is available I will use it from now on..

Peter Sansom

Free Member
May 22, 2015
peebles
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 610
Exp
I'll give it a blast then. Pity Sainsbury's et al don't have it. Shell/BP I'm guessing?

Peter Sansom

Free Member
May 22, 2015
peebles
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 610
Exp
Oh, just noticed...Shell V Power!

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Mine is about the same a 100 miles to each division on fuel gauge, I have a 2ltr HDI non turbo 3000kg and I reckon as you about 28 to gallon. I drive at about 50mph on twisty's and 60 to 65 on good roads.
I have same engine in a van conversion,,30 to 33 mpg at a steady 55 to 60 mph,,Happy with that,,BUSBY,,

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back