Free Member
Aug 23, 2015
Wales/Europe
Funster No
MH
VW T4 High Roof
Exp
Since 2003
Hello. It's David. Partner Lesley. I drive - she cooks - I do the dishes; pots; pans etc. Resident West Wales [domicile] and Algarve [non-dom] 1994 VW T4 High Roof LHD usually with drag and LHD Mk 1 Twingo or Renault 4. We have a N.I.F. if anyone on this forum needs to make a fiscal controlled purchase in Portugal. We can also offer advice but cannot guarantee the accuracy of any information given after [around] 9PM.
Best Regards

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
hi.gif
and a warm welcome. Had to google "N.I.F" to find out that it's a Portuguese VAT number. I'm reading a Kindle book, "The Eucalyptus Dance" by Ken Barlow, at the moment. It's all about a couple who emigrated to Portugal - very entertaining. One of the subjects is the problems they had with Portuguese red tape when they wanted to import their British-registered car, so your offer of help would be very helpful to anyone moving to Portugal. Welcome aboard!

OP
OP
ren004

ren004

Free Member
Aug 23, 2015
Wales/Europe
Funster No
MH
VW T4 High Roof
Exp
Since 2003
View attachment 73480 and a warm welcome. Had to google "N.I.F" to find out that it's a Portuguese VAT number. I'm reading a Kindle book, "The Eucalyptus Dance" by Ken Barlow, at the moment. It's all about a couple who emigrated to Portugal - very entertaining. One of the subjects is the problems they had with Portuguese red tape when they wanted to import their British-registered car, so your offer of help would be very helpful to anyone moving to Portugal. Welcome aboard!

Hello new friends,

Thank you for your welcoming words.

Firstly, I can only speak from our experiences regarding red tape in Portugal, or any country that one wishes to settle in, long or short term, the method of dealing with it is the same.

It is imperative that you ignore any second hand advice… i.e: stories that people have heard, then added their own dollop of exaggeration. Only engage with those who have successfully exited the “revolving door”. AngloINFO is a reliable source of intelligence, complete with a discussions forum that should cover everything. And it is Global.

We were fortunate to have stayed [overstayed] on the Iberian Peninsula over many seasons, and never got caught. But dodging the authorities by living “under the radar” has become more risky. “We’ve been here three weeks already officer” is far more believable from the driving seat of a motor-caravan, than getting into a parked Mondeo with an expired M.O.T. outside an apartment you’ve rented for 11 months. I’ve given-up all efforts to memorize residency laws, absence time-lines and how long one can stay outside the UK before your G.P. strikes you off. Obliged to notify your motor insurer if you’re going to be in Europe for more than xx weeks. Home insurance provider – how long will you be away?

I would certainly recommend that owners with tidy, modern kit, sail as close to the rules as possible. Rumours of confiscation are on the increase, but I haven’t seen it with my own eyes. My neighbour, however, had a lucky escape. €15,000 tax demand from Portuguese Customs on a UK reg. Mercedes 4x4 brought from England when he disclosed his residency. It went to family over the border in Spain that night, never to return. Currently drives a 27 year old 200D saloon, nice’n’legal……………… now that’s what you call a close shave!

Hope you continue to enjoy the book

Bluestar

Free Member
Nov 3, 2014
Brighton
Funster No
MH
Class
Exp
10 years.. On and Off
Bon Dia (don't know much else)
Welcome from Brighton ( ex Lagos wild camper) :)

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
Hello David & Lesley & welcome to Fun

Mel & Lieve

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements