Please read this- Taking Dogs in the New Frorest (1 Viewer)

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Have just heard a report on the radio that dogs have been becoming ill and dying in and around the Fordingbridge area of the New Forest. Investigations are underway by the water authorities and forestry commission. Sorry, I don't have anymore details but thought as so many motorhome folks have dogs, I would spread the word.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I just heard that too. Worrying for dog owners in that area:whatthe:

If you are not a dog owner I suspect the normally full New Forest campsites will have some vacancies this Easter.

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
There has been a similar problem in Thetford Forest for a couple of years .... I wonder if it's the same. As far as I know the source is yet to be found.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
We were there during Christmas when more of the forest was under water than above it. Maybe with all the rivers that burst banks and sewerage systems that must have been overwhelmed it has caused problems in the many ponds in the forest that don't get a regular flow of water - just a thought. Our dog was in every available bit of water we came across, think she is part terrier and part fish!:RollEyes:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
three main areas to be aware of,
[HI]Fordingbridge, Thetford forest, and Clumber park[/HI],
it appears there are tics that carry the deadly disease in these places and there is no known cure so do please be careful if you have dogs.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
It has been a problem around West Norfolk too.

We have never had problems with our two and just carry on regardless. They drink from puddles and must have cast iron stomachs. I wonder if they have built up immunity from the local forest bugs?

All the news reports of dogs dying seem to involve people visiting the area on holiday. I wonder if this is a factor in these cases?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Sandringham, Thetford and Clumber seem to be prone to Seasonal Canine Illness, which usually occurs between August and November so Fordingbridge is maybe something else?

OP
OP
Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Thanks for the heads up, I have taken the liberty of posting about this on another forum.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back