Free Member
Jun 5, 2012
ng219ep
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Hi

I am not convinced that countries are banning A frames based on evidence be it factual or anecdotal. I am not convinced there has been many instances where A frames have been the cause of accidents as I am sure we would have heard of some of these instances. Todate the only one I recall was a recent event near Abbeville where an A frame was thought to have parted from the van. They don't ban Caravans or trailers and how many accidents have we heard about involving them albeit the driver usually started it. Don't say there are more of them because if that is the case there are more possibilites for accidents. We have all seen them weaving about, it happened to me at 50 on the M6. I have never felt the A frame was going to take over the motorhome.

I have towed caravans ,trailers and an A frame and the latter has felt safer to me.

Generally I suspect the reason they are being banned is concern about the modification to the car not meeting standards they and the motor manufacturer have or can approve. Caravans and trailers have type approval but I suspect they have more accidents per 1000 units than A frames do. Also as has been said it is difficult to impossible to reverse an A frame. I would say however that if you got really stuck with a caravan ad needed to reverse it any distance you could be quicker uncoupling the A frame and driving both units out of the way.

Head down waiting the flack.

g8ysn

Free Member
Jun 5, 2012
ng219ep
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
done it when i went up a cul-de sack onto a farm lane,the joys of m/homing

Touringtheworldslowly

Free Member
Sep 20, 2014
East Coast
Funster No
MH
Panel Van
Exp
Hi Touringtheworldslowly

No damage at all.

I assume you are referring to the auto gear box. Well the auto gearbox is really an automatic clutch working a normal gearbox. People have tried to worry people in the past by saying that on a hill the car will run back when you take the brakes off. Well this is exactly what a normal gearbox will do. As soon as you apply acceleration the car moves forward.

It should be noted that the Toyota IQ auto is different and is not suitable for A framing.

Just to confirm we have had the car since 2008 and have towed it for a few thousand miles and had no problems at all except we flattened the car battery once but that was our fault. It tows very well.

One thing we did was get an extra key which we asked not to be coded. We put it in and turn it one click which releases the steering lock. If you actually turn the key fully the engine will turn over but the fact the key is not coded means the car will not start.

Hope that has answered your question.

That explains it, auto clutch not auto gearbox. :)

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
When you say reverse is there a defined distance to reverse ?, I can reverse mine if i wanted to but choose not to but if I was to try say 20 times the distance would vary quite considerably
I don't think there's any distance mentioned - just that it must be possible.

Andy

Free Member
May 25, 2014
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Looking at getting one in near future, on A frame and uk only at the mo.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

silvergnomad

Free Member
Feb 16, 2012
kent
Funster No
MH
Bessacar 465
Exp
ages
Thanks for your message. Had thought of a caravan but unsure about towing one. Clio follows like a dream damped steering (no servo engaged) means nice tight turning circle. Been a long running debate in our 'ouse. Saw 3 caravans over on one trip up the M6 including one that had flipped a 4X4. been a bit nervous since then. Also would a motor mover work on a gravel drive?. Meantime checking transport links at prospective sites.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back