Free Member
May 21, 2012
newcastle upon tyne
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
im a newbie
Hope someone can help me. I have just bought a motorhome which has a satelite dish, i cannot use a normal free view and need a satelite digital box. Please could someone tell me which one and what the heck it is>::bigsmile:

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
If it`s an Oyster dish or similar... All you should need is a normal "Sky Box" the same as you have at home...

Then just take your card with you..:thumb:

I may be wrong.. :RollEyes:

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
More info please. Make/model of dish or what type e.g. self seeking/dome/portable?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
D

dawny

Free Member
May 21, 2012
newcastle upon tyne
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
im a newbie
The van is in storage as a bit big for the drive, but
I think it is a oyster dish? There is a handle in. The
Wardrobe you wind around and it erects into a white
Like sky dish. I don't want to faf around just have
Something perminently left. Sorry doing this in iPhone with
No glasses!

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
I use a NETA free to air.. works fine

I have a NETA system and that runs on free to air and works fine... it is matched to a domed unit that is full automatic and seeks out the satellite's on it's own.. you can choose from thousands of channels - all free... but we tend to have the usual 30 or so regular ones.. and most work way down int he South of France as well as the UK.

need to make sure I watch Silk on BBC1 next Tuesday when I am away.. I know I can get a good signal from the site I am going to in France.. just one hour time difference to remember.

Bob

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Hi Dawny, you should have stayed in chat last night we would have sorted you out, hee hee. It sounds to me that you like me when I got my van have no idea about satellite at all and probably don't have it at home either. i will try to explain. the dish you have appears to be a manual one in other words you have to set it up every time you park up as the direction of the van will have changed. sorry but no way out of that one. The freesat channels need a decoder box to collect the signals from the sat and display them on your TV. There are 12v and 240V versions of these boxes, for the 240V type you need either to be on an electric hookup (EHU) on a site or have a small inverter that changes 12V DC into 240V AC 150W is sufficient. If by any chance you have sky at home you could just take your sky box and card, otherwise a look around ebay for 12V sat decoder will bring up lots of choices. Make sure you get one with a manual to tell you how to set it up. Learning to align the dish is another matter, it can be done in a matter of mins once you know how. Until then tell the kids to wear ear muffs and send everyone out of range of flying objects. The easiest way would be for someone to show you. If you want to come down here I could show you my foolproof method. Good luck whatever and don't give up. Satellite remains the same throughout northern Europe you just need to align the dish. Terrestrial digital on the other hand has to be completely set up in every location you go to (assuming you have a signal, hee hee).

OP
OP
D

dawny

Free Member
May 21, 2012
newcastle upon tyne
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
im a newbie
[There are 12v and 240V versions of these boxes, for the 240V type you need either to be on an electric hookup (EHU) on a site or have a small inverter that changes 12V DC into 240V AC 150W is sufficient.

Thank you so much!! I have been looking at these inverters and they are quite expensive, the man at halfords said I needed a 300w??? To run a tv? This is a minefield of confusion!:roflmto::cry:

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
what you want is something like this.

[ame]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Digital-Satellite-Receiver-channels-caravan/dp/B000XNXWPY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1338294266&sr=8-1[/ame]

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Hi Dawny,

It sounds like you may have a Maxview crank up dish. Roger's advice re alignment is true, ie, no way out of that one, but once well practised, you'll be able to lock into the satellite signal quicker than those with motorised dishes. :winky:

12v digital satellite receivers are like gold dust, and hold their price well. A 240v FTA or Freesat receiver used via a small 75 watt inverter, is often the cheapest way to go. 12v LCD/LED TVs are common place now, and can be purchased for around the £100 mark.

If you can join a meet or rally, there will be plenty of "hands on" Funsters to help you.

Good luck with it all, and when you've sorted the satellite receiver and TV out, it'll be something else that will test your knowledge and patience. Just ask away though. :thumb:

Cheers,

Jock.

P.S. Welcome to Fun.

the stig

Funster
Oct 10, 2009
Grimsby
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Since 2009
failing all that, then just buy a bottle of red,:wine: and sit out and watch the stars!:ROFLMAO:

welcome btw:welcome:

Geoffers

Free Member
May 13, 2011
Groby Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Hi, Dawney, if your interested I have a spare Fortistar Free to air box lying about.
Yours if you just cover the postage
PM me if interested:Smile:

raysalaugh

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2011
Leyland
Funster No
MH
AT Delaware
Exp
since 2010
help please

Hi Dawny,
Are you sure it's not a Status T V aeriel?, can be a bit confusing.

Ray

OP
OP
D

dawny

Free Member
May 21, 2012
newcastle upon tyne
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
im a newbie
Hi, Dawney, if your interested I have a spare Fortistar Free to air box lying about.
Yours if you just cover the postage
PM me if interested:Smile:

That would be amazing! Do you have a. PayPal
Account so i can send the money to you?Thank you so much!

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
[There are 12v and 240V versions of these boxes, for the 240V type you need either to be on an electric hookup (EHU) on a site or have a small inverter that changes 12V DC into 240V AC 150W is sufficient.

Thank you so much!! I have been looking at these inverters and they are quite expensive, the man at halfords said I needed a 300w??? To run a tv? This is a minefield of confusion!:roflmto::cry:
if you go to Halfroids they will be expencive. However
Link Removed
£13.49 inclusive of postage is not expencive to mind:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
however I have used a 150W jobbie to run my 15" TV and Sat box for the last 3 years and they are a bit cheaper
Link Removed
a better quality one and still only £16.99

OP
OP
D

dawny

Free Member
May 21, 2012
newcastle upon tyne
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
im a newbie

Thank you so much Snitrats for the box, it is really really appreciated! Hopefully this weekend will not be such a trauma :ROFLMAO:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi Dawny,

It sounds like you may have a Maxview crank up dish. Roger's advice re alignment is true, ie, no way out of that one, but once well practised, you'll be able to lock into the satellite signal quicker than those with motorised dishes. :winky:

12v digital satellite receivers are like gold dust, and hold their price well. A 240v FTA or Freesat receiver used via a small 75 watt inverter, is often the cheapest way to go. 12v LCD/LED TVs are common place now, and can be purchased for around the £100 mark.

If you can join a meet or rally, there will be plenty of "hands on" Funsters to help you.

Good luck with it all, and when you've sorted the satellite receiver and TV out, it'll be something else that will test your knowledge and patience. Just ask away though. :thumb:

Cheers,

Jock.

P.S. Welcome to Fun.
how do you come to that conclusion Jock......

click the link to eBay...new receivers start at £29...and every one on these two pages is 12volt

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_trkparms=65%253A12%257C66%253A2%257C39%253A1%257C72%253A6003&rt=nc&_nkw=fta+satellite+receiver&_trksid=p3286.c0.m2000018.l2552&_pgn=1

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
how do you come to that conclusion Jock......

click the link to eBay...new receivers start at £29...and every one on these two pages is 12volt

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_trkparms=65%253A12%257C66%253A2%257C39%253A1%257C72%253A6003&rt=nc&_nkw=fta+satellite+receiver&_trksid=p3286.c0.m2000018.l2552&_pgn=1
What I meant John, was the likes of the Pace 12v Sky Satellite Receiver, which I should have mentioned earlier. At one time, that was the only 12v receiver money could buy. Obviously things have moved on as your link clearly shows.

Cheers,

Jock.

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
I have just fitted a free to air tv/dvd.
Also have a portable sat dish, i have the signal ,tuned the tv in to dvb,but all i seem to get is Spanish channels :Eeek:
I have been through most of the menus,found a Muslem channel, but i can`t find BBC ect!
It says Astra sat i am tuned to.

HElp :thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I have just fitted a free to air tv/dvd.
Also have a portable sat dish, i have the signal ,tuned the tv in to dvb,but all i seem to get is Spanish channels :Eeek:
I have been through most of the menus,found a Muslem channel, but i can`t find BBC ect!
It says Astra sat i am tuned to.

HElp :thumb:
but which Astra satellite.....you may be tuned to Astra 1 which shows an awful lot of foreign channels and next to no English ones....maybe sky news..CNN etc

you need Astra 2 or Astra N1 as it is now

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
but which Astra satellite.....you may be tuned to Astra 1 which shows an awful lot of foreign channels and next to no English ones....maybe sky news..CNN etc

you need Astra 2 or Astra N1 as it is now
OK, I have done that, now on the set up list ,they ask about transponders/east/west/ ect--i don`t know which numbers to pick--and will i have to store them in the tv?
Is there a standard set up for UK ie: astra no 1/ transponder--- ect? ect:
I know nothing about sat dishes only that freesat is routed from my old sky dish in the house .:Eeek:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
OK, I have done that, now on the set up list ,they ask about transponders/east/west/ ect--i don`t know which numbers to pick--and will i have to store them in the tv?
Is there a standard set up for UK ie: astra no 1/ transponder--- ect? ect:
I know nothing about sat dishes only that freesat is routed from my old sky dish in the house .:Eeek:
the parameters and transponder setting should already be stored for each satellite and shouldn't need adjusting.

as long as you are on Astra N1 or Astra 2 then simply exit the menu and scan for channels

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
the parameters and transponder setting should already be stored for each satellite and shouldn't need adjusting.

as long as you are on Astra N1 or Astra 2 then simply exit the menu and scan for channels
Not much hair left to pull now!
I have a strong signal on the dish meter,i then disconect the meter to then go direct from dish to tv.
The tv can`t seem to find any channels there:cry:
I have BBC 1 listing and looking but ---no signal---
How many satelites are up there and how do i know i am on the correct one?
I am aiming south as per other dishes nearby :thumb:
Found it--downloaded a app to my phone __ dish director -- that has found them!

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back